Why I'll Never Beat Majora's Mask...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by twistedlegato, Jan 10, 2010.

1. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I've had it. This is my fourth time attempting to play this game. From what i've played, i can easily say this could be my favourite Zelda game. But no. Nintendo had to implement the stupidest save system i have ever used to date.

So i'm near the end of the 2nd dungeon (Snowhead Temple); i had the item, and i just finished collecting ALL of those damn stray fairies (which takes half the time in the dungeon). Just after i collect the last fairy, i approach the door the final room and boom. Link stops moving, and the audio is making this high pitched buzz. I try EVERYTHING i could possibly think of to get it working again, but alas there was no way. :(

I was terrified to shut down the game. I had spent a minimum of 2.5 hours working my way up to the temple getting every side item and such. Now i had saved right outside the temple; it wouldn't piss me off as much if i was allowed to resume when i last saved. But no. Apparently that is not allowed. ANYTIME you shut down the game, you MUST save at an owl or you will resume at the beginning of the three day cycle with everything you've done completely forgot of.

Tell me Nintendo, you know things will happen such as power outages or glitches in the system. Why the hell would you put in such a terrible way of saving that only allows people to have their file safe of restarting when they AREN'T playing the game?

I know this is an old game, but i've played every zelda and i've kept this one for last because everyone says it's one of the greatest. I guess i'll never know.

Maybe i'll pick it up again in a month or so. But damn.... :mad:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is why I'm too scared to play this game :p. I'll try it, one day, promise.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think I got stuck in that game, too. It's too bad. It's such a clever game.

4. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Take it you are playing the VC release and not the original cart?

5. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Yeah. I guess the original cart should be less prone to glitching and such, but it could still happen on it.

6. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Very true, but very unlikely. I had a feeling it was a emulation issue. Thought Nintendo would have tested it well enough to catch a problem like that. Ever thought of complaining to Nintendo about it?

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wonder if this also happens on the GC version? My girlfriend has the Zelda collectors disk (the one with MM, not Ocarina of Time Master Quest) but neither of us have the balls to play it!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You know, I remember some funny business (I was talking about the N64 cartridge and not the VC edition) with this game. There was definitely also some with Ocarina -- it didn't lock up, but it was one of the very few Nintendo games which had places where one could apparently "screw up" and have no way to finish the game. At least, I'm almost certain that I managed to, somehow. It happened in the water dungeon -- I somehow tripped a level-changing sensor with an arrow from behind an iron grate, and once I'd done it, for some reason, I could not get back to the right level configuration, and I got stuck in a subset of the dungeon and couldn't finish it. This was a while ago, but I did try for quite some time to figure it out before I gave up, threw the cartridge in a corner, and eventually started over.

9. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

This is the one Zelda game I haven't played and I don't know if I will. I got caught between N64 and PS2 when it came out and never got around to it.

The story and everything about it says I should really enjoy it, but meh...I have so many games to play for the first time or actually complete already.

10. pcypert macrumors 6502

Man I almost gave up on DAO because of some glitches in that game that wouldn't let me move forward. Thankfully I caught on to these early and started just saving like crazy.... but I was so pissed to have lost 30 minutes... can't imagine 2 1/2 hours. That's a very bad system they have there on MM. I'd like to play it, but anything like that going on, no thanks.

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I played Majora's Mask on the N64 back in the day and don't remember any glitches or other problems. That sucks about some of the issues you guys are having with the VC emulation. Majora's Mask is one of the best Zelda games....

12. mslide macrumors 6502a

That sucks that you're having problems with it but I know what you mean about the save system. The last time I played that game was when it was new for the N64 and I don't remember any glitches but I can't count the number of times I had to start out at Day 1 to get through it. Great game though. One of my favorite zelda games. Now that you mention it, I might just give it another shot.

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never had any glitch problems with Majora's Mask. That was a sick game and by far my favorite Zelda title (yes, better than Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time). I think you just have to really be into collecting things for that game and paying attention to different story lines. However, I could never beat the last boss (Majora's Mask) without the Fierce Diety's mask, which sorta felt like cheating. So to each his own.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Have you considered playing on a computer with an emulator? At least you'll have save state options then.

15. twistedlegato thread starter macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Nah. I caved in and just did it again :rolleyes:

Now i'm past the temple where i was, got all the possible masks in between it and the next temple, and i just completed the third temple with all the stray fairies :)

No problems again so far...