Why I'm Buying a 2009 MP today

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tmacmo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. tmacmo macrumors newbie

Truth be told, I ordered a 2009 MP (2.26 x 2) from Amazon 10 days ago. Once it arrived, I realized I could just hold it for 8 more days and see if there was a 2010 MP at WWDC, something I was willing to give a 20% probability to. If there was, I would ship the 2009 MP back to Amazon and only have to eat the shipping cost. If not, well....

So, I'm going to unbox it today and keep it. There is no 2010 MP. I know many of you would be willing to suggest that a 2009 MP is a bad deal, over priced, etc, but I beg to differ. Here's why:

1. I'm not a Windows fan. I had a never ending cycle of problems with XP, and I don't care to chance Win7. Plus, the software I run the most is known to be far more stable in MacOS than Windows.

2. I don't really want to have to dive back into the world of Windows again after 6 years away. I'm a Mac guy, and I like Mac. I know Mac.

3. If you go to Dell and configure a comparable Precision workstation, 6 GB, 2 x 2.4 GHz Xeons (the 2.4 GHz is the closest Xeon of the same series), etc, you end up with a system from Dell ($2984 after $400 instant savings) that is $100 less expensive than a 2009 MP from Amazon ($3069 + free shipping). Toss in shipping and tax to the Dell order and AppleCare to the 2009 MP and it's a wash. So, the often argued huge price premium for a Mac doesn't exist if you compare a commercially available workstation from a major company. And it is VERY easy to make the Dell Precision cost $8000 with dual hexacores, lots of RAM, etc.

4. I don't want to home build. I'm not a hobbiest. I'm an end user. Yes, I can build an i7 with parts from New Egg for $1500. But why? It ain't a 8 core MP.

5. Hackintosh? Forget it! I want a workstation, not a project. Again, I'm a user. I don't care how easy it is, etc., there is a reason the majority buy a pre-built computer.

6. Most of the Hack possible computers from custom builders are NOT the same as a MP. They are i7's, not Xeons, single processor, not duals. I have a need for dual processors and can use every single core.

So, I'm THRILLED that today I have a brand new computer. It is a wonderful machine. I can't wait to unbox it. Cheers! :)

2. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Congrats... you'll love it but don't get upset if the Mac Pro gets updated tomorrow which I have a feeling it will :D

3. mism macrumors member

tmacmo, I agree with all of your points, enjoy your new Mac Pro!

I may decide to join you very soon, I'm going to see if there is a quiet update tomorrow (not holding my breath) and then its time to make a decision.

I'm on the verge of a career change (from management back to something more creative, management sucks). My folio and site are pretty much done, all using my MacBook Pro, but for 'proper work' with real deadlines I need more power. Much more for 3D rendering not to take 7 hrs a frame, for Apple Motion to be usable etc etc.
    So you can see how, while I have the cash, as a start-up I want value and longevity, hence I want to wait for an update. But at the same time I feel like I can't really start-up without the machine in place.

4. Halamolo macrumors regular

You´re going to be upset when they will do silent Mac Pro update in October/September... or not... :p:apple::eek::confused::apple::mad::rolleyes:

5. mism macrumors member

6. Tonytownsend macrumors member

Man these arent flavor the week type of things like cell phones. These are workstations that are used to get work done. You wont be upset you wont care because you are going to love you new computer and find that it is fast enough for years to come congrats! P.S I will be buying one tomarrow.

7. Halamolo macrumors regular

Your welcome. :)

No I mean I´m also in the same situation and this is driving me insane. I need a new Mac Pro, but I don´t want to buy overpriced 18 month old technology. Especially when they might do a silent update in late summer or anyday now like they did last year with the i7 iMacs.

But then again they might not... and not knowing is absolutely torture! :p

8. Tonytownsend macrumors member

Has anyone even maxed out a loaded 09 MP to where its unworkable?

9. Halamolo macrumors regular

I don´t know, but I am maxing out 2008 Mac Pro everyday so easily. :rolleyes:

10. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

Yes.

11. mism macrumors member

When rendering in Cinema 4D it will be maxed out, if the new machines are the 10-20% faster that people seem to think then that will make a real difference.
    For me its just as much about value, a reluctance to spend money on 'the new Mac Pro, featuring the Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor. The arguments each way have all been stated elsewhere, no need for me to repeat them!

12. Halamolo macrumors regular

More value even buying the 27" i7 iMac. Much much cheaper with a beautiful display and almost as powerful as the 18 month old Nehalems.

But it´s a biatch, if you need the PCIe slots, extra hard drives and so on...

13. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

NO...with hyper-threading even when all cores are being fully used the front-side process (i.e OS or the app your in) gets a thread and behaves as if there isn't even anything going on in the background - quite bizarre and very unlike an MBP which grinds to a halt.

Don't worry about maxxing them out - they are designed for that.

14. Halamolo macrumors regular

Funny.

15. tmacmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I'm unboxing my new 2009 Mac Pro right now. I'm jazzed. It rocks. No regrets. Now, if for some odd reason Apple introduces a new Mac Pro tomorrow, and I can get 12 cores for less that $3500 (doubt it), and the thing is the most incredible machine I've ever seen, I'll send this one back to Amazon, pay 15% restocking fee, and buy the new one. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm gonna be enjoying this MP for a good long time. :)

Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments.

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

17. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

3 months from now?
    I fear not.

I am buying my Mac Pro at the end of the week.
    I gave myself a final date of WWDC- no new machine so I buy an 09.
    I have work to do that I can't get done on a MBP so I have no real choice in the matter.

18. Halamolo macrumors regular

Well you gotta do what you gotta do.

One question: Would you buy it now if Apple would announce with certainty that new 12-core Mac Pros will be released in October?

19. mism macrumors member

I would. People say that Apple will kill sales if they announce a future date. I reckon there's a lot of us on here that would buy now if they knew they'd be waiting for October. Its the not knowing.

20. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Well said

21. octatonic macrumors regular

octatonic

Still buy one at the end of this week.
    I have work (that earns money) that I have put off.
    I can no longer afford to delay.

I'm annoyed but I there is nothing for it.

22. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Indeed.. a date I will wait till and then reassess my situation.

23. Halamolo macrumors regular

Fair enough, but it will also kill sales for people not knowing and waiting... and waiting...

If people had some sort of schedule of releases, they could plan their purchases better. But this sort of thing is just middle finger tactics from Apple.

24. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I just find the fact that no update was carried out worrisome... more and more professionals are being given the cold shoulder by Apple. It's wrong as it's thanks to our loyalty that Apple has become so fruitful... 100% Guaranteed!!!

25. efstuck macrumors newbie

Congrats on the new MP! I couldn't wait any longer ..but i ended up with a custom built PC. We'll see how it goes!