Why I'm buying the iPhone 4S when I already have a 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by naesy1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. naesy1 macrumors member

If I sell my 32GB 4 now, I can get about the price of a new 4S w/ contract, basically getting me a free upgrade. Then when iPhone 5 comes out who knows when, I'll have the newest iPhone available, which will probably sell for the price of an iPH5 w/ contract. Contracts aren't an issue because I'm using another lines upgrade this time and mine will be up in February.

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I'm already happy with my 32gb 4. If I will get the S, it'll be only for the 64gb. That's sadly it.

5. naesy1 thread starter macrumors member

More like I'm cashing out my iPhone 4 now so I don't have to shell out extra money for an iPhone 5 later...

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I'm buying two iP4S. I will be upgrading a 4 and a 3GS. 2 lines on my ATT account are eligible. I have a 3rd line that will be eligible in 02/12. I will use this line to upgrade to the 5 next year on my line.

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Me too. I don't want the 4S, but if I don't sell every year, I will lose money.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

But WHY are you going with the 4S? Why not stick with the 4?

For me, I am considering making the jump to take advantage of GSM + CDMA in one. I love Verizon but I also have plans to be out of the country next year for maybe 4-6 months and I think having my iPhone will make life easier rather than travel with an airplane-mode iPhone 4 (for music and apps) and buying a burner phone everywhere I go.

The 1080p video and 8MP camera are just icing on the cake. And the Assistant thing will be something cool to check out, but I am sure it will become much more useful and bug-free within a year or two (for now, I think it will mostly be a cool demo to show to people).

BTW, I don't think the math adds up. If you upgrade twice and lose money each time, you will have lost as much as waiting an extra year and taking a bit of an extra hit on the original product. In the mean time you have just re-upped your contracts, which limits your ability to choose different carriers/plans later should the opportunity arrive to get a better deal. I guess we'd have to run some real hard numbers to see for sure.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Im just going to wait till 2013 when Apple releases like the iPhone 6 with like 4G, bigger screen, etc.

10. naesy1 thread starter macrumors member

I like photography, and as of right now, the only camera I own is a Rebel xsi, which I don't want to carry with me everywhere. The 4S almost seems like a full on point-and-shoot replacement.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I make about $30 every time I upgrade my iPhone.