Why Im Exchanging the Ever Popular Black 16gb iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew K., Jul 18, 2008.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

So i got the 16gb Black iPhone on launch day, went through the same shhhh..stuff everyone else went through and activated it around 4pm. Anyway I loved it but as soon as I began to hold it, use it touch it (without a case) disaster struck! I turned it over and AHHHHH :eek: Fried chicken grease mother smudging iPhone!!!! immediately had to put in a case, but I never had my 1st gen in a case and I loved having it just like that clean a little looks good all day! iPhone 3G Black= super sexy for 2 minutes and somehow I got butter grease all over it ( My HANDS WERE CLEAN! ). i just couldn't stand it!

So I was on a quest to see if my AT&T stores ( No apple store here :() had any WHITE 16gbs in which some would laugh at me and others said maybe later this week. I wanted to exchange and and they were taking Direct Fulfillment Orders in which 3 out 4 stores said they could not fulfill my request. Fair i guess but then i got lucky this morning and the guy said I could order it but i would have to come in....I WAS THERE IN A HOTT SECOND :D I ordered mine for exchange and got my mom to switch from Verizon ( BTW Im not a little kid before you think that) and ordered another white one. The guy said 5-7 business days which means at the latest nest thursday! :)

So word of advice, get the one you want and if it is black make sure you can live with smudging or if you just case it. Cant wait for my New White One! :apple:

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Good one.

I had every intention to buy the white from the word go, after seeing the early un-boxing pictures on the 10th.
    I bagged mine on the 12th, here in the UK.

Trust me, you'll love it.

If you want pictures to keep you going, checkout my thread.

R-Fly

3. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice pics Man!!!! :D I almost feel like Im waiting for the iPhone all over again. LOL its like Christmas Twice! I'm in the U.S and visiting an Apple store this weekend on Vacation so I'll get to see some there too.:cool:

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have a black 16Gb and am putting an Invisible Shield on it. that way I have my iPhone appear "skin-less" and at the same time it has a covering that is not nearly as smudgeable. And it's well protected from scratches, too. :)

5. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

Got an Invisible Shield also, Guess the White was just to calling me :D

6. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

going to apple store this weekend, what cases do they carry for the 3G? I searched the web for a review and could find none.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

Black with an invisible Shield, BodyGuardz, BestSkinsEver, etc. will allow the black to look pristine 24/7. I'm predicting the whites will not look good after some time. Just a gut feeling. White is cute though for sure.

8. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

How does the invisishield hold up over the life of the phone? For example - in 2 years will it be peeling off and need to be replaced or will it always look this good?

Are there any downsides?

9. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I have been trying to get a 16GB Black all week, so I am just getting the white since it's always available. Is there any way at all where I can exchange the white for black even if I have to pay a fee?

10. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I think you just pay a 10 percent restocking fee if returned within 30 days.

11. yode macrumors 6502

It'll start peeling after a long while, but there is a free lifetime guarantee that lets you get a new one if it peels or gets damaged.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68030

are you serious?? wow this is great news if true.. can anyone else back this up??

I wouldn't mind paying a 10% restockin fee to exchange my white for black by any means

13. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Yeah I figured as much - I seem to remember a fair amount of 1Gen users of the iphone having crappy looking covers and peeling plastic coming off of them after a year.

So does the phone feel different with it on? Is the touch screen responsiveness altered at all?

14. yode macrumors 6502

the responsiveness is unchanged, but the 'feeling' of it is a little different. This is why I am only putting it on the back of my black iphone (Also I am not getting IS, but Best Skins Ever = $8)

15. meagain macrumors 68030

Actually 3 stores by me said there is zero restocking fee for 14 days and another said 30 days. It's a special thing for the launch. :)

16. meagain macrumors 68030

Right, If you read reviews of these skins/shields like at iLounge (and many posts here) - the recommendation for the screen is the Power Support Crystal Shield from Apple or Power Support directly. Just like glass.

I hear their first run was a bit narrow and they changed it to fit better. I would probably order it from the company right now or wait a bit for the stores to replenish their stock.

17. kmay37 macrumors member

Honestly how often do you look at the back of your phone?

18. aLoC macrumors 6502a

I don't mind objects that have shiny surfaces, but not in the place where you're supposed to hold it. Seems like a design oversight to me.

19. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

When I pick up my iPhone I always make sure my hands are clean. Of course despite that I get plenty of fingerprints handling my phone. It doesn't bother me a great deal since I don't look at the back most of the time. So I wipe it clean occasionally. I pay a lot more attention to the front of the phone...I wipe that clean several times a day.

I have no problems with fingerprints...they are bound to happen. From the normal vantage point most people see their phone from, the front, it's the same no matter what phone you have. So it's just a matter of whether or not you can stand the fingerprints that are inevitable on the back of the black iPhone. I can. I am perfectly happy with my black iPhone.

I tried applying the BodyGuardz but went through 2 films on the back...just too difficult to apply without getting fingerprints on the sticky side of the film. The fact that you run out of solution before you can actually apply the second film doesn't help either...that only leads to more fingerprints.

The back needs protecting though...I don't want it to get scratched. I have one of the Black Contour Flick cases on order with the Apple Store...not supposed to ship until the end of July though. So I'll just have to be careful until then.

20. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Enjoy standing out in a crowd looking like your holding a bar of soap to your face.

Black is where it's at.

21. meagain macrumors 68030

Sounds like you didn't wet your fingers enough. The solution is just a tad of mild plain dish soap & water.

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

23. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Thats what is on the back of my receipt.

24. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

My brother said the same thing. He made fun of me for getting the white one, but Im not complaining about fingerprints lol

25. iqwertyi macrumors regular

After much debate, I got the white phone myself and was quite happy.
    Until I hear all this stuff about the White phone were for chicks.

At first, I wanted to defend my case, but then an old saying reminded me:
    "you are what you eat"
    I can't argue with that :)