Why I'm glad I finally bought Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BasilFawlty, Jun 24, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have had Win 7 installed under Bootcamp on my 2011 27" iMac for some time now. I was always a little worried that the computer got very hot when in Windows because the fans don't operate properly when not running the Mac OS.

Well, recently MacUpdate had a software bundle they were offering for $49 that included a lot of great programs, like Screen Flow and Parallels (plus about 9 others) all for $49. I took the bait and installed Parallels using my Boot Camp install as the Win 7 source. I can still boot natively under boot camp, but now I can also just run Win 7 simultaneous with the Mac OS.

What I like about this is that, as long as the Mac OS is running - even if I'm on the Windows side, the fans operate properly and my iMac stays cool!

That alone is a big plus for Parallels over just using Boot Camp alone.

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Welcome to VIRTUAL MACHINE MASTER RACE! I use VMWare Fusion myself.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I probably wouldn't have installed Parallels if it wasn't possible to use the Boot Camp partition, but it's actually more convenient than I thought it would be.

Another HK'er? :)

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Lei ho~

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hahaha. Hello to you too. You're up early :p

6. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Jetlag :( I missed you HK~

7. DaveSM macrumors member

There is a problem using a legal windows install in both Bootcamp and virtualization software though. Each time you switch from one to the other it asks to be reactivated. I once lost a legal MSDNAA copy of windows due to too many reactivations. Windows detect the hardware in which it is loaded and it sees different hardware when it loads natively or within a VM and thus ask to be activated.

8. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Using VMWare and not seeing any problems with activation between bootcamp and VM, OEM version even.

9. DaveSM macrumors member

I used VMWare with VMWare tools installed.

I don't remember every details as this was a few years ago (can't even remember if it was a winXP or win7 install) but I remember being almost locked away from the OS because of an activation problem. I ended up deleting the boot camp partition. I didn't use windows enough to justify a dedicated partition in the past few years.

I could still download a different windows CD from my MSDNAA account though so no harm done beside losing a single serial.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

I've run Windows in Parallels/Bootcamp and I don't get any issue with activation. It is pretty smooth.

11. Texran macrumors regular

Read this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1158557

12. DaveSM macrumors member