Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I think I've already had this same discussion with either you or someone else, so I'm not going to bother again. But I will ask you again how iOS is more customizable than Android.

I'll understand if you don't reply since it seems that you like to spread lies around.

It's a nice attempt at a straw man, but I won't play ball. If you'd like to actually debate what I wrote then I be quite happy to oblige.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
It's a nice attempt at a straw man, but I won't play ball. If you'd like to actually debate what I wrote then I be quite happy to oblige.

Sure. You said

The iPhone's home screen is vastly more customizable, productive, and efficient than Android's.

Explain.

As for your other statement

I keep hearing about how free and open Android is.

All I found were blocked updates, arbitrarily denied functions, locked this, closed that.

Android is open alright. But it's not open for consumers. It's open for carriers and OEMs to bend for their purposes. And their goals are generally not in line with consumers.

Just as Google designs it.

Android is much more open than iOS. Are you trying to say it isn't?

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I keep hearing about how free and open Android is.

All I found were blocked updates, arbitrarily denied functions, locked this, closed that.

Android is open alright. But it's not open for consumers. It's open for carriers and OEMs to bend for their purposes. And their goals are generally not in line with consumers.

Just as Google designs it.

Download AOSP and compile the sources for yourself. While you're at it, make any changes you want.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Sure. You said

Explain.

In both, you can change the wallpaper. In Android you're stuck with alphabetical app order. In iOS you can have folders, rearrange things, whatever you want. In Android you can have a small handful of widgets.

Android much more open than iOS. Are you trying to say it isn't?

It's open source, sure. But from a users perspective it's frequently closed.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
In both, you can change the wallpaper. In Android you're stuck with alphabetical app order. In iOS you can have folders, rearrange things, whatever you want. In Android you can have a small handful of widgets.

Where did you get this idea? I find it hard to believe that you've owned 4 Android handsets and still think this is true.

What does this mean?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Holy cow, Mikey. Your responses make my brain hurt. I'm not going to bother pointing out your probably intentional disinformation.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Holy cow, Mikey. Your responses make my brain hurt. I'm not going to bother pointing out your probably intentional disinformation.

It's my very genuine opinion after extensive experience with Android. I used to waste my time making Android ROMs:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=2771239

It's clearly obvious you have never used an Android.

If I must, I'll go take a picture of the three Android devices I still have (I sold the fourth on eBay). I wish it wouldn't resort to such nonsense.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
That would be the app drawer, and not the home screen.

I'm fully aware of how the Android home screen works. Painfully so. I usually ended up having five blank home screens, one or two widgets, and all of my apps shoved to some forgotten disorganized place.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
It's my very genuine opinion after extensive experience with Android. I used to waste my time making Android ROMs:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=2771239

If I must, I'll go take a picture of the three Android devices I still have (I sold the fourth on eBay). I wish it wouldn't resort to such nonsense.

I find it hard to believe your claim that you can make ROMs and yet can't differentiate between the home screen vs. the app drawer.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I'm fully aware of how the Android home screen works. Painfully so. I usually ended up having five blank home screens, one or two widgets, and all of my apps shoved to some forgotten disorganized place.

The discussion was about home screens. I'll ask again. How is the homescreen in iOS more customizable than in Android?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The home screen and the app drawer are one and the same.

thats-all-folks_163.gif

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
So if I understand correctly, pressing the home button takes you to the app drawer? Since that's the homescreen?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So if I understand correctly, pressing the home button takes you to the app drawer? Since that's the homescreen?

I believe pressing it if not on the home screen takes you to the home screen and then again takes you to the app drawer.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I don't get it. If you didn't the stock Android experience, then why did you buy five different Android phones? Why not just get the iPhone and stop developing ROMs for Android?

That's what I did, eventually. I didn't always feel this way, I just got progressively more frustrated as more and none of the problems I had with Android were fixed. 4.1 was the final straw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.