Why I'm going with the 1.3GHz processor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDFierro, Apr 9, 2015.

  1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    From the get-go, I've been set on going with the 1.3GHz upgrade. Before these reviews came out, it seems like I was on the few. But I think we'll see more and more people going with 1.3 now. The reviews backed up my decision even more.

    Wth other Macs that I have had, I sometimes went with the lesser processor. But seeing how the rMB is less powerful than my current rMBP, and less powerful that any current Mac for that matter, I want to maximize performance. I don't have a 2nd machine. This is my only Mac, and it's my workhorse.

    I'm sure that the 1.2 could be fast enough for my uses, but I just want peace of mind really. I'd rather get the 1.3 and be done with it. I'd rather do that than have the extra 150 bucks in my pocket. Sure I have to wait an extra week to get my Mac, but it's worth it.

    And apparently from these reviews, the 1.2/1.3 might even run cooler than the 1.1 does. I also want to scale resolutions, and past experience with the rMBP shows that a higher-clocked processor helps with that.

    Most people will be fine with the base models, but I just want to maximize performance out of this thing.
  2. Mildredop macrumors 68020

    Oct 14, 2013
    So, to summarise, you're getting it for peace of mind. Is that correct?

    Personally, I can't see the sense in buying a mobile machine and then attempting to get performance. If one wants performance, it seems one should get a MacBook pro.
  3. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    Peace of mind as well as maximizing performance. I already have a MacBook Pro. The performance of the rMB will be enough for me, but it makes sense to want to get the best spec option out of this laptop.
  4. lcseds macrumors 6502a

    Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    So you're thinking 512SSD and the 1.3? Putting Applecare in the mix too? Makes for a pricy purchase. One I'd like to make, but I may have to try the base unit.
  5. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    Yup, 512. Selling my rMBP, so I'll still come out ahead. Haven't decided on AppleCare, could go either way with that.
  6. vanimal macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2014

    REALLY!? I had the MBPR a little while back. Its pretty dang light for what it is power wise. Did you not utilize the power, i didn't hence i picked up a used MBA and pocketed almost $500 selling my MBPR. Or are you a road warrior or student always on the go?
  7. PDFierro thread starter macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    I am a road warrior. I had the Air before I got the rMBP. I don't need the ports or power. I switched to the Pro solely for the Retina screen.
  8. vanimal macrumors 6502a

    Sep 12, 2014
    Makes sense. I meant the MBPR is light for strict around the house use, i can see how overtime dragging it around could become old. Hell i go from my bed, to the desk, to the kitchen etc.

    My case i was buying a Macbook Retina purely off its beauty & retina. The MBA i recently bought will be used just around my house and plugged into my 1080p monitor on my desk when i play my Xbox One etc.

    I REALLY want the new Macbook, but not sure if i can justify the extra money i would have to put out in my scenario.
  9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

    Aug 15, 2010
    What review made you think that the 1.2 or 1.3 would run cooler?
  10. dugbug macrumors 65816


    Aug 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Florida

    Some good detective work in that thread. Basically the 1.1 is a maxed out 5Y31 WRT TPD of 6 watts while the 1.2 and 1.3 are underclocked 5Y51 and 5Y71 (that are designed to have TDP of 6 watts at 1.3 and 1.4 respectively).

    Hence the theory that the 1.2 and 1.3 CPUs have a bit of headroom WRT their TDP.

    I can only think the chip availability drove them to the base model quirk.

Share This Page