Why I'm NOT buying snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by morrisman1, Aug 26, 2009.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

because i cannot do a clean slate reinstall on a blank drive. Simple as that. Apple, if you let me do this on a leopard upgrade disk then id buy it, because you have denied me this then its off to the torrents for me. Seeing as GM is 10a432 then might as well get it early too.

anyone in the same boat here?

2. devburke Guest

And you're basing this information off of what? Everybody on the forums has only been speculating, NOTHING more. None of us has an upgrade disc yet, so we don't know what will or will not be possible with it.

And even if you're right and the upgrade version doesn't allow erase and install, that doesn't justify not paying for it. The justification is that you didn't get what you paid for. But when you don't pay for it at all, you're not entitled to it at all. At the very least, pay your $30 and download the full version.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm reading mixed things about what the upgrade disc does and doesn't need. Some people saying you CAN clean install with it.

Personally I'd say if you buy the upgrade, but torrent the full 10A432, it doesn't really matter...though I'm sure others will disagree.

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

As edesignuk said, i too have read some mixed stuff, maybe too much but it does appear to point to clean install, archive and install or upgrade, should be the same as 10.5 was,
    but there is too much conflicting info out there 99% of it is pure speculation,
    but as devburke said that doesn't justify not paying for it, whats £25 ($30 ish).......go buy it ;) you will feel much better as a person.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Previous upgrade versions have workarounds for installing on a blank drive.

Here's the one for Leopard, I'm sure there will be a way of tricking the Snow Leopard installer if it needs it.

6. devburke Guest

I'm pretty sure Up-To-Date versions are different than the upgrade version. We haven't had an upgrade version before. I bet it won't be such a workaround for SL.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We'll find out in 2 days time. :)

8. bjorn989 macrumors member

It seems that people will try and justify just about anything. Seriously though, the fact that you cannot (even though we dont even know if you can or cant) do a clean install does not justify pirating. Probably the most faulty logic I have seen in a while...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good for you, not everyone will upgrade and that's fine.

To make purchase decisions based on speculation is a bit silly. They may come to be true once we have the disks in our hand, but at the moment all of this is pure speculation.

Personally, SL is the next step in the OSX evolution, and apple has a great track record of building in improvements. To that end, I prefer to leverage and use those enhancements.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I want proof of that. Do you have an actual upgrade disk and video to support? Currently, no one knows if we can or cannot install SL using the upgrade disk on a blank drive. But, if you took a few seconds and thought about it, Apple only let you buy the upgrade disk IF your computer have Leopard pre-installed before purchase. So I doubt Apple will put in an unnecessary restriction, but WE DON'T KNOW. So think before you act.

12. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Disk Utility...which is included on the disc, is able to do an erase and install.

13. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

good for you. i dont see whats the point in this thread. if you are so set on not buying it, why open a thread? why dont you go post your whine and cry in the off topic section?

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

He's trying (and failing) to justify pirating SL.

15. zerostar macrumors regular

1) YES you can...

2) Seriously can't we wait 1 or 2 DAYS to be sure yourself before posting these nonsense threads?

16. zerostar macrumors regular

sounds like it to me...

17. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I want to know if I can do that hack to trick it to think it's running on a Mac when I put it in a PC... I'll probably buy SL upgrade after I get my 3GS and external HD, so I'll find out I guess!

18. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

All you have to do is clone your drive to an external, let SL erase and install, the bring your apps (one at a time to insure compatibility). How hard is that! :eek:

19. emaja macrumors 68000

I find it difficult to believe that Apple will not offer at least an archive and install.

I have NEVER done a clean install of any of the new OS's since the archive and install changes the name of the old OS folder and creates a new one, essentially doing a clean install of the OS without harming your data or applications.

Do whatever you want to do, but I have full confidence that Apple will offer options on the upgrade. Anyway, why post your speculation as fact? It is only 2 days away, so wait for others to report what options Apple offers before making your claim.

20. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They do offer Archive and Install. In fact, it's the default option now. There is no more of the "in-place" upgrades they've done before. It now removes Leopard, installs Snow Leopard, and ignores all of your user files and third-party apps (provided they don't install at the System level) so that you don't have to set anything up again. That's what I'm going to do. It's what I've always done. I've never had a problem with upgrading via an Archive and Install since 10.2 (I didn't have 10.0, so no upgrade process to 10.1).

jW

21. emaja macrumors 68000

Good to know, Captain Tightpants - LOL!

I wasn't aware that it was the default option as I always use A&I anyway. In fact, I always thought it was odd that it WASN'T the default option in other upgrades. It just seems to make the most sense to have the option to revert to the previous OS without any major effort if the upgrade install breaks some of your essential apps.

Thanks for the info. No reason not to at least try the upgrade on launch date.