Why In Gods Name Does iMovie Require Location Services to be Turned On?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Jul 11, 2010.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I leave location services off because it kills battery life, and I very rarely use it. Coupled with the graphical power needed for the iMovie app, the battery life is rather worse than with my normal settings. Other apps don't have this asinine need for location services to be turned on, so why does the Apple built iMovie app need to?

*Edit*

I know that it does this so it knows which location to use on the Travel theme, but why isn't there an option to turn it off?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Because that's one of the few themes available and quite a popular one at that, and they chose to leave it turned on. Simple as that, it probably won't change anytime soon.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Location services doesn't affect battery life when not in use thus there's no point turning it off. The GPS dosen't check your location all the time when you have location services on.

4. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

It does if you have an app open that uses it, such as the camera or maps. Or iMovie for that matter.

5. cirial macrumors regular

I get 6+ hrs of true real life battery time with location services, 3G and wifi on constantly. That's not good enough for you? I guess I'm spoiled coming from my 3hr at best iPhone 3G...

6. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I'm normally getting about 10 hours of average use with my 4. I have 3G off, location services off, and wifi on all the time. Same settings as I had with my 3G, which I only got about 4 hours on. I'm loving the battery life, and it's easy to do as I'm used to this way of use after my 3G.

7. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I've noticed that more and more apps are now popping up that notification box, asking if it's okay to use my location. I used to get it from only a few apps that it seemed to make sense for (like Maps). Now everything (and everybody) wants to know where I am. It's annoying. But with iMovie, you don't have to accept its request to use the app. Just cancel the request and go about your business.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because apple declared it so. It's apple's way or the highway.

I agree with you, that it makes no sense but there are a number of other apps that require this service to be on that are not strictly speaking apps that are navigation/map based either.

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Why does it matter? Location services don't suck up battery power.

10. mtwilford macrumors member

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed:D