Why in the world would you create a 16GB phone w/o any expansion.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YungMoola94, Sep 10, 2014.

1. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Before all you start ripping about how I can't afford the phone please know I've had every single iPhone and also have had all the Galaxy series phone along with the both HTC Ones.

First, no matter how many times I've switched to android I've never been able to use it for longer than 3 months.

Apple really is messed up for not making the base model a 32GB. Because of this I will be waiting for the price to drop and will buy the 6 plus when it hits the $400 mark (I am on sprint)

Until then, I will be using the 5S and most likely get the Nexus 6 and use it until I get the iPhone 6+.

Btw, if any of you guys haven't used the nexus series phones I highly recommend it the nexus 5 is incredible.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Chill. You still have time to save up the extra 100 and get the 64gb.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Apple does it for no other reason than to squeeze an extra $100 out of people who are on the fence.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Although I disagree with them keeping the 16gb model, you do have the right to not buy the phone and take your business elsewhere.

5. Jus711 macrumors member

Though I agree they could afford to go up to 32GB as the base, there's nothing really forcing them to, as I'm sure the 16gb are annually the best selling models. I've always had 16gb (or 8gb when that was the lowest) and I haven't really had an issue. There are so many cloud storing and streaming options now. I have 4TB worth of music, movies, photos, and assorted other data at home but I don't keep any of it on my phone, I actually prefer it that way because if the phone is lost, damaged, or stolen, I know I have it all somewhere.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Because 95% of people who buy the iPhone will never use 16GB.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This.

Also to sell iCloud drive expansion.
    And their new iCloud Photos which optimizes to store low phone quality on device.

8. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Makes perfect sense to me. If 32GB was the standard, there is a ton of lost profit from people upgrading. Nixing the 32GB option makes the $100 jump even more likely and we all know memory is a high margin item. Consumers might not like it but it is a sound business decision.

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Why in the world would you create a thread about this?

16GB might be more than enough for some people.

Oh and I think you'll find it's the most popular.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

$100 more used to only get you an extra 16GB, now it gets you an extra 48GB. I think a lot of people are going to see the value in that and purchase the 64GB versions.

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

12. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Why in the world would you create a 16GB phone with any expansion when you could easily squeeze another $100 out of your customers to 64GB? ;)

13. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I've never had a problem with storage, I've got around 5GB free on my 16GB iPhone now.

Having said that, the jump to 64GB is much smaller price wise this year, so I'm tempted to go for a 64GB just because it's cheaper than in the past.

14. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

^^^ This

I have always had 16gb on a 4 and 5 but on the 5 I was getting close to the limit with about 1.5gb free. This time I was gonna jump to 32gb but the way I see it I am better off now I pay the extra for a 32gb but get an extra 32gb free. Sure 64 gb in a big overkill for my needs on a phone buts it's at 32gb prices.

15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

16. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

There are two perspectives to look at this from:

Apple Consumer: yes, 16GB is too small and it is frustrating to pay $100 more for additional memory that costs them so little. And 16GB in an iPhone 6 is definitely not enough in my opinion.

Apple Investor: Great move on their part this year!!! Those of us who have paid the $100 to upgrade from 16 to 32GB in the past feel a little better about getting 64GB this year for the $100 upgrade. All those who upgraded for $100 in the past will continue to do so. A portion of those who refused to pay $100 for a 16GB upgrade in the past will decide to do so this year since it is an additional 48GB for the $100 now. 3 times the additional memory for the same price!!!

As an investor, this was brilliant to keep the average selling price / margins up on the iPhone 6. Had Apple simply bumped up the base model to 32GB, many who paid the $100 to upgrade in the past would not have done so and the average selling price / margins would have been reduced.

If you think Apple should be making these decisions based on what the consumer wants, you will always be frustrated.

My advice... put yourself in both of the above categories (customer and investor). Use some of your gains in Apple stock / options to more than pay for your Apple products.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Most people need between 20 and 25GB, so the 32GB model was the one to go for. Yes we would now receive 64GB for the same price, but hardly anyone needs that amount of storage space so it's a waste of money. If you only need 32GB and get 64GB then you aren't gaining anything at all. Halving the cost of the 32GB upgrade would have been a better thing to do, or of course dropping the 16GB model altogether.

18. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Source? Or just personal opinion?

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Ask almost every iPhone owner age 50 or above. The only reason my mom is struggling with 16GB is she doesn't offload photos to her computer like I tell her and then racks up a roll of 1,000. The only games they use are basically solitaire and free games for the grandkids.

So Apple is not going to entice these type of people with an extra 16GB. Yet. With the apps likely increasing in size again as we get more display sizes, it may come to the point soon when that change needs to be made. I'm struggling with 32 on my iPad because of the games, but mostly I'm fine. I needed a new iPad badly when I got one, and so I won't totally kick myself when the iPads have the same storage bumps.

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I should have said most people who bought the 32GB model. They didn't need exactly 32GB, but they did need more than the standard 16.
    Source = myself and a few of my mates :)

21. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I've used 16gb for the last 4 years. I still have almost 2gb free. I keep my apps to only those I use and same with music. That said I was going to go with the 32 but since that isn't an option I'll make the jump to 64. I guess I can put some shows or movies on it.

My inlaws all have 8gb phones. Some people just don't use the space.