??? Why install OS X on a factory new iMac????

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kilofox, Nov 8, 2014.

1. kilofox macrumors newbie

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

As opposed to what? They come with it preinstalled?

3. kilofox thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct. The factory new machine comes with Yosemite already installed.

The reason I ask is that in this forum and others, I see that many install a "fresh copy" of OS X when ever they get a factory new machine.

I understand this in the Windows world of vendor bloatware. I don't think Apple bloats their machines.

With the pending arrival of my new RiMac, I was wondering if there is a benefit to reinstalling Yosemite even though it is, at least IMO, already "factory fresh" upon delivery.

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

There is no reason to do that. I've never heard of people doing that. If they are they are insane. The only time I do a clean install is when a new OS comes out. That is typically because I am coming from a Developer Preview.

5. kilofox thread starter macrumors newbie

6. habeebhashim macrumors member

Re-installing OSX on a brand new Mac seems pointless. Only thing I used to do is use Monolingual to remove the additional languages. Even this, I haven't done with the new iMac... there's just tons of space..

7. jbuk1 macrumors member

I think you may be confusing people talking about their restore from time machine and them just installing apps and files as opposed to bringing across os x settings. In effect keeping the 'clean install' and not over writing with old config files.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

This.

Reinstalling Yosemite will leave your computer in precisely the condition it came out of the box.

What people are talking about is reinstalling their apps and data on this clean installation, rather than bringing across the baggage from time machine or similar. I just did this, as my previous machine is two and a bit years old and thus had four different OSs and goodness knows what bad habits lurking around...

9. rainydays macrumors 6502a

There used to be a reason to do that because you could uncheck things like specific printer drivers and so on during the installation to save HDD space. Nowdays they are installed on demand so it's pointless to do so.

Perhaps its an old thing that still lives on?

10. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

There is a certain control factor. And given how little time it takes to do a clean install today, why not?

Now that it's no longer a bloatware issue, it's entirely down to control/security.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Because, as previously mentioned, it is entirely pointless.

Why waste any time with such nonsense?

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

+1

The people doing "clean installs" aren't doing TimeMachine installs, they must be first time Mac users. Sounds like some kind of Windows thing. Totally pointless.