Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I dunno, I try to be super-honest with device listings on eBay, and the Coconut Battery report is usually one of the details. I remember selling a heavily beat-up 5C, and I tried my best to show all the flaws and scratches. Someone bought it with the "Buy it Now" option of $100 almost immediately. The more info you share, the more honest you look. If you're afraid to share details, then it looks like you have something to hide.

I know OP said Craigslist, but I gave up on that site long ago because buyers would either not show up, or they would try to haggle all over again at the meeting location, often complaining about a device not having some feature that was never offered on the product in the first place.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
An educated consumer is a good thing.

I hated getting anything used, and wondering about the battery. They only have X amount of life left, and then must be replaced.

Any time you'd ask a seller about charge cycles or how much of the battery capacity was remaining, you'd get blank stares.

iOS 11.3 finally including battery information is a GREAT thing.

Reactions: willmtaylor

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Isn't it better that the buyer be able to see such information themselves so that sellers won't overstate the condition of the device?

This gets everyone on the same page and makes the transactions more fair. No more having to use a laptop with CoconutBattery to get this information. I'd think anyone upset about this feature is trying to pull something.

Reactions: simonmet

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Selling my old iPhone is the only way I can financially justify buying a new one.
Betting there are a lot of people like this.

Oh, I am sure you are right, it just isn't my situation

But truth is, if the battery is crap, then you shouldn't get the same price as one with a better battery
At least this way consumers know

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I have bought 2 used iPhones (4S, 5S) from cragslist in the past and in each case I had my MacBook air with coconutbattery to check the battery cycles.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Good. People deserve to know the state of the battery health in the product they’re purchasing.

Reactions: simonmet

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
You can blame the battery life indicator for it

While it's nice to know how healthy it is, it's guaranteed to become one of the first questions asked by your potential second-hand buyer. And god forbid it's anything lower than 99% because if it is, prepare for a bargain war.

It may not be a big deal today or tomorrow, but in a year or two, things will change, for sure

Whenever I sell my used Mac, the first question my buyer asks is warranty, the second - battery health

Expect the same with iPhones very soon

And if you think that most won't even know such a feature exists, even the ignorant learn eventually

P.S. Just to be clear, I’m not upset about the feature. Am merely pointing out that it may affect the iPhone resale market in the future.

ummm..... no.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Will we still be able to get iPhone 6s plus $29 battery replacement before November if my 4 yr old 6s plus at 92%

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Will we still be able to get iPhone 6s plus $29 battery replacement before November if my 4 yr old 6s plus at 92%

It is my understanding that they lifted the requirement for the battery to be below a specific threshold. You can pay for an out of warranty battery replacement if you want it. So say, you know you want to sell it in the near future, I would go out and fight to get the battery replaced asap. That way when you are ready to sell, you don't have to wait for back ordered batteries AND you will be helping out the buyer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.