Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Running Chrome beta on my HTC One running vanilla Android 4.3 is a much better experience than using it on the same device running 4.2.2 and the HTC Sense 5.0 skin. I think Sense and TouchWiz are causing problems for some people.

Also runs fine on my Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia S, Xperia TX, Nexus 4 and One X.

Not a fan of TouchWiz myself but my wife likes it...chrome also seems to run ok on her S4 and Note 8 too.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
If you want lag free Android, you probably want Nexus phone or tablet or rotor your phone and flash pure android

Nope still lags sometimes on jelly bean. It seems like the more apps I install the slower it becomes. This is on a 16gb nexus 7.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Nope still lags sometimes on jelly bean. It seems like the more apps I install the slower it becomes. This is on a 16gb nexus 7.

I don't know about you, my Nexus devices never lagged. I guess it depends on users.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I just tried fiddling around in the phone app on my HTC One running the Google Edition ROM. Aside from a slight stutter when I started scrolling through my contacts, I didn't notice any lag when opening the app or switching to different tabs.

Yeah in addition to the lag when switching tabs in the phone app there is also lag in a lot of the screen transitions. When you dial a number, as it switches to the dialing screen you can clearly see it hiccup/lag as it switches, that's just one example.

I guess you can call it a stutter, or a lag, etc. But it's still something you never see on iOS.

----------

I didn't notice too much of a lag on the phone app with stock android. It was always quick on my Nexus 4. It was just about as fast as the phone app on iOS 7. The one thing that puzzles me is the lag on the G2's phone app since everything else is super smooth and fast. Thankfully I can't get around it by using quick dial on my home screen.

Interesting, this is what I'm seeing on my G2 as well. I saw pretty much the exact same thing on my Note 2 though when I had that, in the phone app.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our 3 new HTC One phones came with 4.2.2 when we bought them a few weeks ago (Verizon). I wish my iPad Mini ran as smoothly and quickly as the HTC phones. I lost my first Mini a month ago, and bought this one last weekend. I'm going to blame iOS 7, because my first Mini was super smooth on iOS 6. The HTC phones are excellent in any case, and we don't have any of the issues we did with Android on our year old Samsung tablets.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't know about you, my Nexus devices never lagged. I guess it depends on users.

My GS4 lagged noticeably out the box. Took a lot of tweaking and fiddling with settings, installed apps and the home screen to make it not suck by iOS user experience standards.

Now though it's mostly smooth sailing. Not quite iOS 7 smooth, but more than usable.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Yea, one of the amazing features of Android is the abundance of malicious software. I'm so jealous my iPhone doesn't have as much of that as Android does.

Honestly, this entire thread is opinion-based. And it will start a flame war sooner or later.

For the record, I dislike Android but that's just one person's opinion amongst billions of people who use smartphones.

I'm sure you're as jealous of malware as I am of ios's inability to set default apps, download files in the web browser, and lack of system file access.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Chrome runs great for me on the Note 3, no lag. But I was getting spoiled by iOS 7's great Safari multi tab experience. I'm sure Android will copy that soon enough.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
not me..very happy with android. IOS is ok but think Android is better for me in every single way.

chrome runs super smooth...far smoother than the internet stock one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
But I was getting spoiled by iOS 7's great Safari multi tab experience. I'm sure Android will copy that soon enough.

What multi-tab experience do you mean on Safari? If you mean stackable tabs:

iOS-7-Safari-on-iPhone.png

I'm afraid Chrome has had that for quite some time (and the ability to swipe between tabs too, which, unless I'm mistaken, Safari doesn't have yet):

Chrome-for-Android-Beta-Stack-Tile-Scrolling.jpg

Chrome-for-Android-Beta-Tile-Transitions.jpg

Safari is definitely the biggest improvement to iOS 7 IMO (finally, Private Browing mode where it should be, and finally, a unified search bar for punching in sites/searches), but if that's what you mean about the multi-tab experience, Safari copied Chrome.

----------

On the topic of Chrome, both Chrome and Chrome Beta run great on my HTC One Dev Edition. No hiccups whatsoever.

It, however, sometimes runs a bit awkwardly on my Nexus 7. It's not bad or anything, but it does a few things weirdly, like it'll give me the pop-up bubble to select the correct link way too often.

: shrug : Go figure.

The good news is, Google is constantly updating Chrome. It's gotten three (if not more?) updates in the past couple of months alone, adding features and addressing bug.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Browsing on my S4 is just as smooth as it was on all my previous iPhone's. My only frustration with TouchWiz appears with copy and paste which works but not nearly as well as it does on iOS. I've replaced stock gallery and note apps with great alternatives. I'm running Nova Prime. I'm much happier with my S4. I will consider a larger screened iPhone in 2014.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Scrolling on iOS 7 vs. HTC One:
On this forum, it takes one swipe to go from the top of the page to the bottom using my HTC One. It takes four long swipes on my iPad Mini. During the 14 days my wife owned an iPhone 5s, that was something I noticed immediately, as it also took 4-5 swipes to scroll as far as one swipe on my HTC One. The only other Android device I have left is a Samsung Tab 7, but I'm not going to dig it out for any testing. I hate that thing... :D

Since the 5s has Apple's latest and greatest, it seems odd that scrolling is just as cumbersome as it is with the Mini. I won't be switching back to an Android tablet any time soon, as the aspect ratio and sizes are not what I'm interested in.

Speaking of the HTC One, we bought an HTC Media Link. I had to order it online from Verizon, and was a bit reluctant after owning Samsung's awful wireless mirroring device (it's every bit as laggy as reviews say, and worse). HTC's box is brilliant, and I can stream a video and use the phone for any other task at the same time. If I stream a video from my iPod, iPad, or briefly owned 5s, the screen is out of commission for any other purpose. Media Link doesn't lag or stutter at all, and doesn't ask for a pass code 5 times before responding. Since getting the HTC One, I haven't used any Apple device for steaming videos.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
What multi-tab experience do you mean on Safari? If you mean stackable tabs:

I'm afraid Chrome has had that for quite some time (and the ability to swipe between tabs too, which, unless I'm mistaken, Safari doesn't have yet):

Safari is definitely the biggest improvement to iOS 7 IMO (finally, Private Browing mode where it should be, and finally, a unified search bar for punching in sites/searches), but if that's what you mean about the multi-tab experience, Safari copied Chrome.

----------

On the topic of Chrome, both Chrome and Chrome Beta run great on my HTC One Dev Edition. No hiccups whatsoever.

It, however, sometimes runs a bit awkwardly on my Nexus 7. It's not bad or anything, but it does a few things weirdly, like it'll give me the pop-up bubble to select the correct link way too often.

: shrug : Go figure.

The good news is, Google is constantly updating Chrome. It's gotten three (if not more?) updates in the past couple of months alone, adding features and addressing bug.

Burned...pretty much nailed it....when I seen ios7 tabs...I instantly thought of chrome

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Chrome had the whole roll dex thing for tabs for awhile, and you can now swipe down from the address bar to go to the tab view. I also like that you can swipe between tabs. That being said, I do think Safari in iOS 7 is slick. The little animation it does when you scroll and the address bar and bottom bar disappears is nice. Also, I love that you can swipe right to go back a page and left to go forward a page.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Chrome zooming works like Google maps too. You can double tab and drag up or down. I love that feature.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Chrome zooming works like Google maps too. You can double tab and drag up or down. I love that feature.

What?! I did not know that. I love that feature in G Maps. When you're driving, it's invaluable feature.

They need to make this feature OS-wide. I'm not sure why they don't. Anything that can zoom, should be zoom-able using this method, too.

EDIT: By golly, you're right about Chrome. I must've overlooked or forgotten about this. Awesome!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What?! I did not know that. I love that feature in G Maps. When you're driving, it's invaluable feature.

They need to make this feature OS-wide. I'm not sure why they don't. Anything that can zoom, should be zoom-able using this method, too.

EDIT: By golly, you're right about Chrome. I must've overlooked or forgotten about this. Awesome!

I accidentally did it earlier today and was like nice! Maybe they are making things more system wide like you said.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm not going to lie, after installing iOS7 on my iPad 3. I couldn't activate, and start using a Galaxy Note 3 quick enough! Sorry but I respectfully disagree with the OP. :cool:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Wow you learn something new everyday
That is awesome

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Scrolling on iOS 7 vs. HTC One:
On this forum, it takes one swipe to go from the top of the page to the bottom using my HTC One. It takes four long swipes on my iPad Mini. During the 14 days my wife owned an iPhone 5s, that was something I noticed immediately, as it also took 4-5 swipes to scroll as far as one swipe on my HTC One.

This is something I absolutely hate on my Apple devices. You have to swipe to scroll a little way, swipe to scroll a little more, swipe, swipe, swipe... Seriously, Apple could fix this with a couple of lines of code, but it has remained this way for years. Just to get to the bottom of this thread (I have this board set to show me 40 posts per page), took 6 swipes. I did it in one swipe on my Nexus. There may not be lag on my iDevice, but having to swipe 100 times to get to the end of the page, there might as well be.

I really can not understand why Apple has not fixed this???

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Why iOS 7 is simply better than Android

This is something I absolutely hate on my Apple devices. You have to swipe to scroll a little way, swipe to scroll a little more, swipe, swipe, swipe... Seriously, Apple could fix this with a couple of lines of code, but it has remained this way for years. Just to get to the bottom of this thread (I have this board set to show me 40 posts per page), took 6 swipes. I did it in one swipe on my Nexus. There may not be lag on my iDevice, but having to swipe 100 times to get to the end of the page, there might as well be.

I really can not understand why Apple has not fixed this???

I like android scrolling better too. However, apples is designed to recognize when you are trying to get to the bottom of a page. Therefore it doesn't speed up unless you do several flicks in a row and then the software says oh? They must be trying to get to the bottom of the page. Let me speed up. Apple doesn't believe anything is wrong and they don't think anything needs to be fixed. Different design philosophies I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.