Why iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RonDeGregorio, Dec 21, 2011.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

I'm sure there are countless threads such as this, and probably an endless supply of google results, but I wanted to get your take on this.

I am a graduate student, currently student teaching in a middle school. I see a lot of my colleagues using iPads, and they seem to enjoy it a good deal.

I just wonder what the appeal is, or what the draw is to the iPad in comparison to a light notebook such as a MBP.

I currently have a notebook pc, and a macbook pro with a broken keyboard (using as a desktop currently), and for what I do, these suit me just fine. HOWEVER, I would love to have an iPad, I just am not sure I can justify the price tag.

Also, I don't care about the new iPad 3. I'd take a 1st gen if the price was right.

So, why should I get one?

2. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

From experience, the ipad is a lot more convenient to use when it comes to "light" usage such as checking your email or surfing the net. It is definitely lighter than a typical laptop, and easier to hold and read, especially when you are sitting or standing inside a crowded bus or train. The longer battery life also means it can withstand a fairly long period of usage before you need to recharge it, meaning you don't always have to keep it plugged in.

To cut a long story short, it lets you do all the things you would otherwise do on your iphone, albeit on a larger screen.

3. gtx281 macrumors newbie

You'd love to have one... yet you don't know what the appeal is? :confused:

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

1. excellent e-reader. no more printing out journal articles. carry around hundreds or thousands with you.
    2. excellent for writing papers / reports. pages software now has footnotes, so you can go entirely without a computer
    3. lighter than any other computer, and even with the bluetooth keyboard, about the same size and weight as the macbook air.
    4. about half the price of a macbook air.
    5. about twice the battery life of the macbook air.
    6. fully capable of being used with a projector.
    7. in small classes, great for displaying materials on the screen.

in my opinion, it is not a replacement for a computer, but a supplement. the ipad 1 is a great, inexpensive way to get started. if you don't like it, you can probably sell it for about the same price (that's what i did). you could do the same thing with a used ipad 2. the ipad 2 has some nice features, like more ram to render those pdfs and the ability to display more than just keynote presentations. but, that will cost you a little more.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I'm a grad student doing research in middle school classrooms. One way my iPad was useful while doing classroom observations was that it was much less distracting and obtrusive to take notes on than a laptop. I took handwritten notes, which you can't do on a laptop, and I could carry it around like a notebook (but save my notes to PDF afterward). If I wanted, I could even get handwriting recognition software to convert the notes to editable text.

Also, much better battery life than any laptop, and you can hold or prop it at any angle for reading. I hate reading papers on a laptop or desktop screen, but I can hold the iPad at he same angle I would a physical paper.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

I find that the iPad is easier to carry on a regular basis. for instance, I bring mine when I go out driving for errands, etc,. I use it in my car for the Internet. There's no way I would lug a laptop (even a Macbook Air) with me as car usage with one is problematic. But unlike a laptop, using the iPad in a car seems natural.

The iPad is a wonderful invention. (Frankly, I intitialy thought is was more of a gimmick).

That's just my experience. YMMV

7. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iPad is a fantastic toy. When it came out everyone said, "that's a giant iPod." They were right. People just didn't understand how nice that would be. I use mine all the time. There really isn't much it can do that my iPhone/desktop can't handle. It's purely a luxury item to most but once you have one, you'll never put it down.

8. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess what I meant by "I don't see the appeal", I meant that I don't see the appeal OVER a laptop. I am an apple guy, and I've played with one in the past, so of course I'd love to have it.

With xmas coming, I think I am going to save some money and try to find a good deal on one!

Thanks for all the input!

9. jojoba, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

jojoba macrumors 68000

Agree with lots that's already been said:

- touch screen combined with good apps makes it great for working with academic literature/ annotating pdfs, and as others said no more paper - I can carry my whole library with me everywhere
    - it's very portable and it's easier to quickly check your email or whatever else you might need while you're on the go
    - 3G internet access when not close to wireless is a great plus for me
    - long battery life definitely a GREAT plus - I never worry about running out
    - touch screen + stylus also makes it very easy to store my handwritten notes all in one place and carry them with me everywhere

In general, it's been a great support for my academic work, but like others said it's not a substitute for my laptop.

Good luck finding a nice iPad :)

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I travel a lot for business and I am in and out of meetings all day. I normally leave my laptop in the office and grab my iPad. It has made the world of difference. I can access files I need from my cloud and take notes on the fly. I flew to Japan a few weeks ago and only took my iPad with me and at first I felt naked without the 17" monster I normally lug with me. I kept thinking I left something, but once I fired up the iPad on the plane, watched a couple of movies, played a few games and worked on some document in Pages and Numbers I was convinced I had made the right decision to only bring my iPad.

You will still need your laptop for heaving lifting. But for everyday usage and some light document editing the iPad is perfect.

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Just get one and find out for yourself. Seriously, that's what I did and I had the same doubts as you. It's not until you actually own one that you realize how amazing they are. At worst, you can always return it if you're not entirely convinced it's for you.

13. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thanks guys, you have really given me a ton of great reasons that will help me justify purchasing one in the near future!

14. jojoba macrumors 68000

Obviously it depends on an individual's needs, but I can honestly say that I regard it as a valuable tool, and not a toy. I used to think it was just a toy and therefore buying one wasn't on my radar until just a few months ago, but now I'm totally happy with it and use it lots every day - most of the time for work purposes, but maybe 20% of it recreation.

Since you're a grad student, you might want to look up my 'apps for researchers/academics' thread where there is also a link to another thread with lots of useful info on iPad for academic work.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It was difficult for me at first to find a space for the iPad in between my workstation and my laptop.

After ~6 months, it has its niche -- albeit pretty small. There are times, though, when I can travel with the iPad leaving the laptop at home. And that makes travel easier in many ways.

16. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Just to clarify, although I am a Grad student at Ohio State, my particular program is very light on research and academics. It is essentially a teacher preparation program. I spend 8 hours every day teaching a 7th grade World History class full time, and then have some methods classes in the evenings.

It would be extremely convienient to have an iPad with a stylus and just jot down notes instead of taking my laptop or a notebook with a pen.

I would love to integrate it into my classroom. My cooperating teacher (the full time teacher) is a technophobe. Her idea of using technology is busting out the ole overhead projector or popping in a VHS from the 80's.

The kids love it when I use Prezi, and I know there is an iPad app for that. I think if I could learn how to integrate it into my teaching, that would be the biggest payoff!

17. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

I'm a full time student and I love the iPad. With the right apps I have sold my MacBook pro and got a Mac mini. The ipad makes email and Internet a joy to use. I love how you can just turn it on and be able to surf the web in seconds. I use it as a tool for school to assist me. I find that I'm in my final semester and all my classes are taught with powerpoints so it's convenient to annotate them. I don't think you can go wrong with one and it might even be your main device!

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Head to Best Buy. Purchase iPad. Keep receipt. Keep box and everything else in it neat and tidy. Use iPad. Keep it undamaged. Decide for yourself. If you don't want to keep it, return within 30 days of purchase, in box, as you found everything. Money will be refunded, no questions asked. Not sure if their 30-day return policy is still in effect, but I used to do this all the time to "test" products.

19. davidlw macrumors 6502a

For me, instant on is a big selling point of the iPad. I am a salesman and when being in front of a customer and you need to look something up sitting there waiting for a laptop to boot up is a sales killer. The customer will loose patience and think you are unorganized. The Instant On is what I need for my business.

20. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Exactly the iPad now makes my laptop useless.

this

Battery life is the best of any device.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

22. Confuzzzed, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

My vote goes to instant on as well. Portability is great but then again so is the 11"MBA with more processing power. But the 11" MBA has only 5 hrs battery life. The instant on though is a clincher for the iPad.

My iPad is also my entertainment hub in the house. It's my jukebox playing musing to speakers hooked up the an airport express, it's controlling my apple tv and my kids can play games and/or watch movies on it.

I prefer to do work on the laptop if I am honest but on the occasion that I am out with just the iPad, I don't feel like I am without my toolkit if something comes up that needs attention.

The only downside for me is that I work a lot with webcasts and I find the lack f flash support a little limiting for business at least.

Apps such as Flipboard have also made social networking a much more enhanced experience as well.

It hasn't quite replaced my laptop yet BUT it's getting pretty damn close.

One last thing to say is that having owned both the IPad original and the 2, there is no doubt that iOS 5 has made the UI lag of the original practically annoying so if you havre to get one, I would say get an iPad 2.

23. takeshi74, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

What are you specifically expecting from this thread that hasn't been endlessly rehashed in the countless other threads on this topic? Posts like this come across as "I'm too lazy to bother to look so please provide me all the info I want".

Depends on who you ask. For my wife, it's a simpler appliance-like device. It's a more convenient and easier to handle/more portable form factor. I'd give you my input on it if she ever put it down.

Subjective matter. You need to tell us more about yourself if you want us to answer that. We can't tell you why you should or you shouldn't.

Why don't you ask your colleagues? They're much more likely to have needs/wants/preferences/etc in line with you than a pool of completely random strangers on the internet. Again, it's subjective. You want feedback that's relevant to you. I mean, for example, if I'm shopping for a sports car and looking for input from other people I'm not going to go ask people that only drive pickup trucks.

Check with other graduate students. Check with other teachers. Especially listen to those that didn't see a point at first either and see if their thinking sounds in line with your own.

24. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

25. PhoneI macrumors 65816

My iPad and MacBook complement each other. One is not meant to replace the other for me. Most of the creative work I do is on the MacBook. However, I enjoy reading, browsing, emailing, gaming, messaging far more on the iPad.