iPhone X Why iPhone Becomes Bigger and Bigger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youinc, Mar 15, 2018.

1. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

My first iPhone is 4S and now iPhone 7 Plus. I chose 7 Plus instead of 7 mainly because the dual camera and longer battery life. I noticed the mobile phone makers including Apple, they make the mobile phone bigger and bigger and most people just happy to accept it. If the phone becomes bigger, which is hard to insert in the pocket, we need buy a bag and a bigger bag later. I doubt if there will be a Pad-Size mobile phone, even a Laptop-Size mobile phone. At that, can we still call it "mobile" phone?

What do you think of the future mobile phone? Just bigger and bigger with stronger performance? That cannot be called revolutionary. I just feel a little disappointed with the mobile phone makers nowadays.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Apple was one of the last companies to release large phones. They only did because it's what customers wanted.

They seem to be shrinking again, though. The iPhone X has a screen nearly the same size as the iPhone 7 Plus, with a body nearly the same size as the iPhone 7 (non-Plus.)

3. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

In ten years there'll be house sized phones. Your apps will each have their own room in the house-sized phone. It will be so big

4. youinc thread starter macrumors newbie

youinc

I am just curious about what is customers wanted. Before Steve Jobs release the 1st generation iPhone, what is customers wanted?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2018 ---
    You are talking about Supercomputer?:p

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Remember that when the iPhone was released, this phone DID have the largest screen. Every other smartphone had 2" Screens, and when Android came out it had 2.9" or 3.1" but not 3.5"

Fast forward, Apple was the last the join the large screen game, but thankfully they offer options to allow you to choose the size that works best for you, which is why they sell the SE in the first place.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Because there is a varying demographic that everyone has a different preference of what they want in a phone size. Larger phones doesn’t have to be considered “Revolutionary”, but it does have the capabilities to provide a larger battery, a better viewing experience with a larger display and allow more space for expansion of camera technology

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Apple is just giving us what we want. There are smaller iPhones if you want one.

8. youinc thread starter macrumors newbie

youinc

Thank you all who joined the discussion. I am not intended to complain Apple. Yes, Apple gives us options if want a smaller iPhone. I just curious about the future. If every year, we are offered a bigger iPhone than before, who can imagine what the future mobile phone looks like? When carriage is popular, many clients just want a faster carriage. When automobile was invented, how many people want a faster carriage then? I am not blaming any phone makers. Thank you all.

9. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

Because people dont want small phones anymore?

My first iPhone was a 3GS. I loved it but I didn't like the small size from the start. Always wished smartphones had bigger screens. My second iPhone was an iPhone 5. At first I though I could be happy with it but again, I found the screen to be too small for my needs. As much as I liked the iPhone and iOS, I was seriously thinking switching to android just to have a bigger phone.

And then, the iPhone 6 plus came out : Instant hype and switched immediately. Never wanted to go back since then and thats why I just dont care for the new iPhone X because overall the screen is "smaller" than a plus iPhone for videos and all.

The small phones can be great for someone who just use their phones for call and texting basically but for someone who use their phone a lot like browsing the web, watching some TV shows from time to time and watch youtube the majority of their time on the go, a bigger screen is a must. Plus, bigger phones have better batteries generally.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The future will be just fine as Apple will not make them so big that most will not buy. It is called marketing and Apple is one of the best at doing it.

11. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Yes.... But a phone!

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

Except Apple hasn't gotten larger every year.

There was the original 3.5" screen from the iPhone to the iPhone 4S. The "tall" 4" screen from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone SE (same width as the original screen, slightly taller.) Then introduced simultaneously were the "large" and "plus" screens - iPhone 6, 6S, 7, and 8 at 4.7" and iPhone 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, and 8 Plus at 5.5".

That makes in the "main line", four phone screen sizes. 3.5" was replaced by 4", then 4.7" and 5.5" were added. Every 4.7" screen phone so far has had identical phone body sizes. Every 5.5" screen phone has had identical phone body sizes. (To the point that you can put an iPhone 8 in a case made for an iPhone 6, possibly with modification to make the camera fit. I have my iPhone 7 in a case I originally bought for an iPhone 6.) All the 4" phones are basically the same size - while the physical shape of the iPhone 5C makes its cases not fit properly for the 5, 5S, and SE, they do fit. They are all basically the same size.

And the 3.5" phones got SMALLER over time. The iPhone 4 and 4S are quite a bit smaller than the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G/3GS.

That leaves the "oddball" phone - the iPhone X. It has the largest screen yet - 5.8". But the body of the phone is noticably smaller than the iPhone 6 Plus - iPhone 8 Plus. It is in fact *MUCH* closer in size to the iPhone 6 - iPhone 8. 5mm taller, 3mm wider, half a millimeter thicker. So while the *screen* has gotten bigger than the previous generations, the *phone* itself hasn't.

And that's the current trend in phones. They got physically bigger for a while, then the bodies started to shrink while the screens took a larger portion of the face. The "truly big" phones (6" screens or bigger - up to an infamous 7" Samsung Galaxy W from 2014) have largely disappeared, other than a real niche market. Even Samsung's "giant" current phone, the Note 8, has a 6.3" screen, but the body is no bigger than previous generation Note systems, because the screen takes up most of the face, rather than having a large border like in older phones.

I honestly think that the Note will remain the largest mobile phone. We'll see phones' screen size increase until they fill the entirety of the face of a body the size of the iPhone "Plus" models, and that will be the largest phones. The reason phones got bigger was to hold bigger screens. And the market showed multiple years ago that bodies that held 6" screens were as big as people were willing to buy. So no, we won't see iPad Mini sized phones. They tried to make them, nobody wanted them.

13. youinc thread starter macrumors newbie

youinc

Impressive analysis!:) Thank you so much.

14. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Spot on...

15. Tunster macrumors 6502

For me personally, iPhone X is a good compromise for increased screen estate without increasing the phone body. Any plus phones for me are iPad replacements (many have them on trains watching boxsets/movies). I think those phones have killed usage for many who had iPad minis at least. Although, I don't get why Apple haven't explored making iPad Pro's at least enabled for phone usage and relying on Bluetooth (now they have airpods) for headsets to replace requirement for iPhones.

For phone, messaging, video messaging; bigger sized phones don't offer much. They don't make the phone more portable. Especially for men who keep them generally in pockets. Women generally have handbags and store their phones elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to getting my iPhone X today. It's a lifeline to keep using Apple products that I still appreciate as I've never liked the Plus sized phones and hope they do many a iPhone SE version of the X design eventually. However, it does how depend who they want to target in the market, and millennials seem to be their core focus with emojis and younger actors appearing in their ads.

16. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

Apple haven’t offered a bigger phone since the 6plus which was 4 years ago, the idea they’re getting bigger every year is nonsense.