Why iPhone screen is more beautiful than others?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackbirdz, Feb 28, 2013.

1. blackbirdz macrumors member

I saw that new phones such as Sony, Samsung S3, Note II, HTC Noka, all of them have at least the same or better resolution than iPhone retina display screen.

However, I have been playing with S3 and Note II, I found the screen is quite gorgeous at first, but the longer I use it, it feels just not right, it makes your eyes tired. The color is somewhat too artificial and whatever pictures I view on S3, they are much better if viewed in iPhone. Screen vs screen spec wise, those Android phones are better.

Anyone has opinion on this?

2. craftytony macrumors regular

craftytony

From what I've read I believe the S3 over saturates their colors and has a lower maximum brightness.

But I could be wrong ;)

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Lots of people feel the iPhone has amazing screens.

...but lots of people don't care. They just want a **HUGE** screen on their device!
    Quality be damned!

4. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

The screen on the S3 is a lot more bluish than that on the iPhone5. Compare them side-by-side and you would think the S3 is a fake chinese knock-off -- the blueish screen is horrifyingly glaring.

5. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

A lot of android phones (like Samsung) use led or amoled screens. They're just different. Some people like them better, some like LCD (like on the iPhone and most htc android phones). Amoled tends to be more saturated and LCD can be, in comparison, more "washed out". It's really just a preference thing.

6. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I remember reading, somewhere, that the iPhone screen is closer to the glass.

7. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah something does seem a bit off with the larger android screens. I can't really pin point what it is. But I do like the bigger screens

8. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

thats just the differences between amoled and lcd.

Iphone 5 does fuse the glass and touch sensor into one, so there is less glare and the icons seem like they are floating on top. Same goes for the HTC ONE X

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Optical lamination, brightness and colour accuracy (especially with the iPhone 5).

It's also why the MacBook Pros with Retina display and the current iMacs' displays look so good.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Bugeyeblue is right. The difference you're noticing is Amoled vs LCD. In addition to what you stated about saturation, Amoled screens actually turn off the LEDs when showing black rather than LCD which is actually just a really dark grey.

But it really does come down to preference. In some cases I prefer the saturation of amoled screens, but in others I prefer the truer colours of LCD.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I read that the reason S3 screens are blueish is because the blue pixels in an OLED display wear out faster than the other colors.

Therefore blue is artifically cranked up so that as the pixels wear out the picture will look more natural and the display will last longer before colors look muddled. I could be wrong, but this is what I read once.

12. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I prefer the one on my iPhone because the colors are all more natural, the displays are way too over-saturated on other manufacturers phones. Plus you can't change things like contrast and saturation on a phone. Just brightness.

I'm pretty sure you mean the digitizer, and yes I'm pretty sure most touch phones have the digitizer on the glass?
    However, it's not just the difference between AMOLED and LED, as the manufacturers, if they had the same attention to detail as Apple, they would calibrate their screens.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Its to do with marketing. If you walk into a best buy and look at TV's the settings are set to really pop, look at me mode. Take the TV home and your eyes will bleed. Samsung TV's have a setting called "standard" that is nearly perfectly calibrated.

Some phones like the note 2 have these settings too. I dont know how well the are calibrated but I heard there is one setting thats pretty damn good.

Plus OLED tech in mobile devices still have a long way to go. If you do comparisons of HDTV OLED vs LED/LCD you'll find they generally do better in most categories. I think the mobile OLED just have a ways to go. There is PLENTY of room for improvement in the tech whereas LCD is about done even in mobile devices.

As of now though I think the most accurately calibrated mobile device you''ll find is the iphone (maybe an HTC device too?). Also some people prefer quantity over quality, and some people just prefer the vivid colors. I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a few people that bash Samsung for their screen quality have their TV's at home set too movie or even worse that god awful dynamic mode because the PREFER it over spending 20 bucks or borrowing the tools to properly calibrate the TV...

14. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

The best screen right now is the new HTC One. Does it matter who's second? Apple had a good run with the "Retina" moniker but it means nothing compared to 2013 Android superphones.

15. xpipe macrumors regular

I got the HTC One X because of the screen. Going back to the iPhone (5, as I required the Apple "ecosystem") killed me because of the hit I was taking in the screen in terms of both size and quality. I can't wait to see the HTC One screen...I almost don't even want to see it because of the inevitable temptation that will result...

16. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

There's a lot of great displays that outshine the iphones display. To say it's the most beautiful is strictly opinion.

17. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Yes you can change colors and saturation on android phones. It's in the display settings.

18. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That was my impression when I did a side by side in the store. The note 2 however looked much better. The Lumia 920 was stunning though. Props to Nokia on that one.

I think this is only on non-US phones because I dug around forever on the S3 and found no such option.

19. kadillac macrumors member

It isn't strictly opinion at all. The iPhone 5 has the best color accuracy on the market. It's like buying a plasma instead of an LED. Samsung overhypes their displays with blue to ridiculous levels because they know Samsheep are easily attracted by the light...like flies. Joking aside, Samsung really has their displays calibrated horribly, it's the same with their TVs. They pump blues and make blacks very dark at the sacrifice of every other color. It's not subjective, iPhone does have the best display.

20. mateo124 macrumors regular

People say they the iPhone 5 screen looks better, but when compared to a HTC One X, the HTC in my opinion looks a lot better, color wise anyway.

21. kamalds macrumors regular

I have had GS3, note 2 and now, an iPhone 5. The reason why iPhone's screen looks better is that it is IPS and is much much brighter than super amoled screens.

Super amoled screens consume a lot of power, especially while displaying white colours (which is why the android UI is dark). So the vendors kept the brightness levels low to prolong battery runtimes.

22. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Personally i agree with the OP when comparing the iPhone 5 screen to the One X and the DNA. I still havn't seen the screen on the ONE yet so i can't comment on that. There a point where the law of diminishing return comes in when dealing with PPI so they can keep piling on pixels and it wont make any difference or not enough to matter.

23. thehustleman macrumors 65816

HTC is the only company with a better display than the iphone.

Android in general has a long way to go in screen quality

24. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

The HTC Droid DNA has the best screen in the market!

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Better resolution/PPI...yeah...better in general overall for everyone...well, that's really subjective still.