Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I saw that new phones such as Sony, Samsung S3, Note II, HTC Noka, all of them have at least the same or better resolution than iPhone retina display screen.

However, I have been playing with S3 and Note II, I found the screen is quite gorgeous at first, but the longer I use it, it feels just not right, it makes your eyes tired. The color is somewhat too artificial and whatever pictures I view on S3, they are much better if viewed in iPhone. Screen vs screen spec wise, those Android phones are better.

Anyone has opinion on this?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Lots of people feel the iPhone has amazing screens.

...but lots of people don't care. They just want a **HUGE** screen on their device!
Quality be damned!

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I saw that new phones such as Sony, Samsung S3, Note II, HTC Noka, all of them have at least the same or better resolution than iPhone retina display screen.

However, I have been playing with S3 and Note II, I found the screen is quite gorgeous at first, but the longer I use it, it feels just not right, it makes your eyes tired. The color is somewhat too artificial and whatever pictures I view on S3, they are much better if viewed in iPhone. Screen vs screen spec wise, those Android phones are better.

The screen on the S3 is a lot more bluish than that on the iPhone5. Compare them side-by-side and you would think the S3 is a fake chinese knock-off -- the blueish screen is horrifyingly glaring.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of android phones (like Samsung) use led or amoled screens. They're just different. Some people like them better, some like LCD (like on the iPhone and most htc android phones). Amoled tends to be more saturated and LCD can be, in comparison, more "washed out". It's really just a preference thing.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I remember reading, somewhere, that the iPhone screen is closer to the glass.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
thats just the differences between amoled and lcd.

Iphone 5 does fuse the glass and touch sensor into one, so there is less glare and the icons seem like they are floating on top. Same goes for the HTC ONE X

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Optical lamination, brightness and colour accuracy (especially with the iPhone 5).

It's also why the MacBook Pros with Retina display and the current iMacs' displays look so good.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
A lot of android phones (like Samsung) use led or amoled screens. They're just different. Some people like them better, some like LCD (like on the iPhone and most htc android phones). Amoled tends to be more saturated and LCD can be, in comparison, more "washed out". It's really just a preference thing.

Bugeyeblue is right. The difference you're noticing is Amoled vs LCD. In addition to what you stated about saturation, Amoled screens actually turn off the LEDs when showing black rather than LCD which is actually just a really dark grey.

But it really does come down to preference. In some cases I prefer the saturation of amoled screens, but in others I prefer the truer colours of LCD.

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The screen on the S3 is a lot more bluish than that on the iPhone5. Compare them side-by-side and you would think the S3 is a fake chinese knock-off -- the blueish screen is horrifyingly glaring.

I read that the reason S3 screens are blueish is because the blue pixels in an OLED display wear out faster than the other colors.

Therefore blue is artifically cranked up so that as the pixels wear out the picture will look more natural and the display will last longer before colors look muddled. I could be wrong, but this is what I read once.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

I prefer the one on my iPhone because the colors are all more natural, the displays are way too over-saturated on other manufacturers phones. Plus you can't change things like contrast and saturation on a phone. Just brightness.

thats just the differences between amoled and lcd.

Iphone 5 does fuse the glass and touch sensor into one, so there is less glare and the icons seem like they are floating on top. Same goes for the HTC ONE X

I'm pretty sure you mean the digitizer, and yes I'm pretty sure most touch phones have the digitizer on the glass?
However, it's not just the difference between AMOLED and LED, as the manufacturers, if they had the same attention to detail as Apple, they would calibrate their screens.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Its to do with marketing. If you walk into a best buy and look at TV's the settings are set to really pop, look at me mode. Take the TV home and your eyes will bleed. Samsung TV's have a setting called "standard" that is nearly perfectly calibrated.

Some phones like the note 2 have these settings too. I dont know how well the are calibrated but I heard there is one setting thats pretty damn good.

Plus OLED tech in mobile devices still have a long way to go. If you do comparisons of HDTV OLED vs LED/LCD you'll find they generally do better in most categories. I think the mobile OLED just have a ways to go. There is PLENTY of room for improvement in the tech whereas LCD is about done even in mobile devices.

As of now though I think the most accurately calibrated mobile device you''ll find is the iphone (maybe an HTC device too?). Also some people prefer quantity over quality, and some people just prefer the vivid colors. I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a few people that bash Samsung for their screen quality have their TV's at home set too movie or even worse that god awful dynamic mode because the PREFER it over spending 20 bucks or borrowing the tools to properly calibrate the TV...

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
The best screen right now is the new HTC One. Does it matter who's second? Apple had a good run with the "Retina" moniker but it means nothing compared to 2013 Android superphones.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
The best screen right now is the new HTC One. Does it matter who's second? Apple had a good run with the "Retina" moniker but it means nothing compared to 2013 Android superphones.

I got the HTC One X because of the screen. Going back to the iPhone (5, as I required the Apple "ecosystem") killed me because of the hit I was taking in the screen in terms of both size and quality. I can't wait to see the HTC One screen...I almost don't even want to see it because of the inevitable temptation that will result...

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I prefer the one on my iPhone because the colors are all more natural, the displays are way too over-saturated on other manufacturers phones. Plus you can't change things like contrast and saturation on a phone. Just brightness.
Yes you can change colors and saturation on android phones. It's in the display settings.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

That was my impression when I did a side by side in the store. The note 2 however looked much better. The Lumia 920 was stunning though. Props to Nokia on that one.

Yes you can change colors and saturation on android phones. It's in the display settings.

I think this is only on non-US phones because I dug around forever on the S3 and found no such option.

kadillac

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
It isn't strictly opinion at all. The iPhone 5 has the best color accuracy on the market. It's like buying a plasma instead of an LED. Samsung overhypes their displays with blue to ridiculous levels because they know Samsheep are easily attracted by the light...like flies. Joking aside, Samsung really has their displays calibrated horribly, it's the same with their TVs. They pump blues and make blacks very dark at the sacrifice of every other color. It's not subjective, iPhone does have the best display.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
People say they the iPhone 5 screen looks better, but when compared to a HTC One X, the HTC in my opinion looks a lot better, color wise anyway.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I have had GS3, note 2 and now, an iPhone 5. The reason why iPhone's screen looks better is that it is IPS and is much much brighter than super amoled screens.

Super amoled screens consume a lot of power, especially while displaying white colours (which is why the android UI is dark). So the vendors kept the brightness levels low to prolong battery runtimes.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
People say they the iPhone 5 screen looks better, but when compared to a HTC One X, the HTC in my opinion looks a lot better, color wise anyway.

Personally i agree with the OP when comparing the iPhone 5 screen to the One X and the DNA. I still havn't seen the screen on the ONE yet so i can't comment on that. There a point where the law of diminishing return comes in when dealing with PPI so they can keep piling on pixels and it wont make any difference or not enough to matter.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

HTC is the only company with a better display than the iphone.

Android in general has a long way to go in screen quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.