Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I also think it is a combination of better initial supply, along with less demand as people are hanging onto their iPhones longer. That and I think fewer people are pre-ordering these days as it seems many people are waiting for them to be in stores so they can try them out before making a decision...
Additionally, these phones have become too expensive for the average consumer to upgrade every year.

Reactions: Hustler1337

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Because they are triple the price now? What kind of question is this... Why doesn't everybody buy a mansion?

Reactions: Kmart9419

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
A lot of answers here but people don't really know. Neither do I but my opinion is the price is irrelevant for the question, if the iPhone was $2000 and they only made 100 it would sell out in seconds and they don't tell us the figures anyway. The only half decent answer of why they don't sell out on day one is because Apple decides what is most profitable and it looks like not selling out on day one is more profitable. They've also been making iPhone for over a decade so you would think they eventually got on top of production.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Apple release new phones annually.

Within the year there are lots of market changes.

This way Apple is always playing catch up.

1) late in proving OLED screens. Hell they are still providing LCD screen for the cheap iPhone 11

2) iOS needed new features sooner or a new look

3) USB-C should have been provided with iPhone 11 Pro.

4) wireless charging came in late when other phones were able to have the feature 2 to 3 years before the iPhone

5) 3 to 4 cameras were available early last year.

Apple is just playing catch up. That is why a new form factor should have been used with iPhone 11.
These features may have been available from other manufacturers for years but, for the long time average iPhone purchaser these are and will be new features.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The year-to-year changes are nowhere near what they were 4-5 years ago. People are keeping phones 3+ years now so everyone is on their own cycle.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
They don't make enough for launch day and sell out, they get slated. Apple has failed.

They make enough for launch day and don't sell out, they get slated. iPhone has failed.

Reactions: EM2013 and Peadogie

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Next year more foldable phones will be available again Apple will have to play catch up.

Apple should think about releasing a new phone ever 6 months.

These way they will have 2 phones every year. Similar to Samsung’s Galaxy S and Note series.

Why the hell is Apple always playing catch-up? They ought to be able to do better than that.

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
They don't make enough for launch day and sell out, they get slated. Apple has failed.

They make enough for launch day and don't sell out, they get slated. iPhone has failed.

Yeah, damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

I’m glad Apple ignores the haters and just does their own thing. It’s worked out pretty well for them so far.

Reactions: comptr

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Market saturation. People are happy with the phone they have and don't need to upgrade every year.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Still using an iPhone SE. No need to upgrade until this thing becomes obsolete or breaks down on me.

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
Early on, it was 1 model for AT&T only. Now there's so many different variations across so many carriers and countries. That and people can't afford $1,100+ every year.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Well iPhones are at a point where people don't need to update all the time, iPhones are lasting 3+ years. Mostly hardcore fans update every year and then the people with like a 6s or 7.
Pretty much, I know plenty of people still using iPhone 7. Some are finally updating this year. Pricing plays a huge factor also.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Next year more foldable phones will be available again Apple will have to play catch up.

Apple should think about releasing a new phone ever 6 months.

These way they will have 2 phones every year. Similar to Samsung’s Galaxy S and Note series.
Apple doesn’t rush things like the competition.

Twice Samsung has screwed up for rushing things. First with the exploding batteries and now with the foldable phone breaking easily.

Being first doesn’t always mean it’s better.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Today 5 hrs after pre-order in Hong Kong iPhone 11 Pro can still be order and delivered on 20th Or 21st Sept.

It was not the case a couple of years ago when iPhones would be sold out in 10 to 15 mins.

Actually since iPhone X sales have not been the same as before.

What is Apple doing wrong for not being able to sell as well as in the past?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.