iPhone Why is 4G consuming more battery

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ParagJain, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Some technical understanding needed;

The advt. in printed media I have over here in India is that 4G is suppose to be faster and better network and saves battery by getting things done faster than 3G.

Why is that my iPhone is drained out of battery within 6 - 7 hours when on 4G and it goes on and on for like 12-14 hours when on 3G?

3G takes lot longer time to refresh data related apps and
    4G is indeed lot faster.

Example; on 3g, on average I take about 35 seconds to get whatsapp refreshed and i review all messages and putting phone to sleep
    on 4G, on average, I take about 20 seconds and I am done, and phone is gone to sleep.

Is the 4G signal consuming more power/cpu/memory as well ?

thanks,

2. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

It depends on the band it is running and 4G network coverage

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You might be confusing 4G with 4G LTE. LTE is more power efficient than 3G and HSPA+ (iPhone 4G).

4. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

It displays LTE on the phone when I turn on 4G. Also, I think it runs on 2300MHz TD-LTE Band over here in India.

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

LTE 4G always consumes more power compared to 3G and 2G. However newer phones have better chipsets which have better power saving features. So LTE battery usage will almost be the same compared to 3G.

Sometimes, the LTE signal is low, so phone boosts its own power to maintain connectivity. Hence the battery drains faster.

Which iphone model are you using btw?

6. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone 5s. Is there a way to measure the signal strength using any app or something?

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Ok, when you wrote 4G I thought you were stating that it actually displayed 4G. Well in that case I can't explain it.

Interesting, I was just going off of Apple's claims that if a phone gets say 10 hours of 3G internet, it would get 11 hours of LTE. (iPhone 6). For the iPhone 5S or 5 (can't remember) I think it was 8 and 10 hours.

9. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

Its almost at the level of Hard to believe, with 4G LTE, the average battery life is about 7-8 hours when I need to put for charge again.
    With 3G, its almost doubled, 14-16 hours before I put to charge again.
    Monitored these over last 3 days and very consistent battery observation on 3G ...

Something is surely wrong with Airtel's 4G LTE signals in India.
    Of course, their helpdesk don't have a clue about it ..