Why is a MacBook Pro $500 more than a MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PoloDude, Jan 17, 2009.

1. PoloDude macrumors newbie

I only see a 2 inch screen difference. What justifies the $500 price increase?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

FireWire 800 and the dedicated GPU on the Pro as well.

Get a refurbished one instead.

3. PoloDude thread starter macrumors newbie

is that it? its the screen a lot better?

I dont really play video games on compuiters, so would the dedicated GPU be useful?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Macbook Pro has a higher resolution and quality screen.

Not particularly.

5. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It has quite a few advantages

Larger Screen
    Higher Quality Screen (Better colour gamut, Contrast Ratio & Viewing Angle)
    Dedicated Discrete Graphics (9600GT + 9400GT vs just 9400GT)
    Express Card 34 Expansion Slot

And perhaps the Speakers are better as they are on top of the unit on the sides instead of .. well wherever the ones on the MacBook are hidden lol (This is just a guess I don't know how good the MacBook Pros are compared to the MacBooks)

I noticed the price of the Highest end MacBook is $1,599 and the Lowest End MacBook Pro is $1999 so its just $400 difference instead of $500.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you dont play any Games, dont do any Graphic Design, dont do any Coding, dont do any Website Design, dont do any Video Editing, dont do any Photo Editing and dont use the Adobe suite at all then the macbook pro probably isnt useful for you.

7. PoloDude thread starter macrumors newbie

its like $100 off on Amazon.com

Or if i use my student discount, but all of that doesnt justify $400 in my opinion

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Like I've said before get the refurbished one.

9. PoloDude thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're concerned about the price but aren't considering a refurbished Mac? You do know they're in mint if not near mint condition?

11. youssefm macrumors 6502

Do you just have money to spend and want anything? I really don't suggest that you get a macbook pro and just get a 2.0ghz macbook and deck it out with 4gb ram and a 320 gb hard drive.. and btw a refurbished macbook and a normal one are the same exact thing except of the packaging, and sometimes you might even get some extra stuff or specs. with a refurb

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Obviously the MBP isn't for you. Those of us who need those things see the value in them. Just get the regular MB.

PS> Refurbs rock.

13. balinmar macrumors newbie

nooo....actually something or someone else is looking really dumb right now hahaha,,just get a PC. you´re saying that every reason we have given you doesnt justify $400, maybe its just cuz you really dont know about computers because believe me....those extra $400 are pretty justified. im not trying to be
    mean or anything.

14. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Refurbs FTW! My iMac is refurbed, my MB is new. I sort of doubt that I will purchase any more Macs that are not refurbished. It's one heck of a good deal. Since I feel this way, I must be dumb.:)

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple has already done all the work for you . But i'll save you the trouble. Get a Macbook. If that doesn't sound good, get a Macbook Pro.

Which Mac are you?

Attached Files:

• wmru.jpg
      wmru.jpg
      File size:
      254.7 KB
      Views:
  16. youssefm macrumors 6502

yeah, if you cant justify the $400 then dont get it -_-

17. Machappytg macrumors newbie

And whats the point of getting a high end computer, when you dont do anything needing it use the adobe creative suite and motion and some other 3d program and still have a iMac G5!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why get something you dont need?

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes, let us be your personal shoppers.

19. maestrocasa macrumors regular

My wife bought the MB (and she does graphic design) I bought the MBP. (both late 2007) I like the bigger screen RAM and HD. Really like a separate GP, but the main reason I was willing to spend the extra $400.00 was matte screen instead of glossy! If Apple had a matte screen MB, I probably would have gone with it.

Now that both models are glossy and aluminum, I say go with the MB unless you really need the extra power. The MB can do LOTS with what it has.

20. PoloDude thread starter macrumors newbie

but doesnt the normal MB have a lower quality screen

21. elevensheep macrumors newbie

have you read the posts above?

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Thank you, I think the OP needs to "Turn the Power On". His first post says that he only sees the screen size difference and can't justify the $500.00 difference. So far other posters have explained the screen quality being much better on the Pro, Express Card slot, Firewire 800, higher end GPU and better speakers but he doesn't seem to get it. I don't think he's reading any of the posts.

23. rhyx macrumors 6502

Yes it does.

24. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

I think the OP is trying to say that $400/500 is a total rip-off for a dedicated graphics card, firewire 800, better graphics, and a better screen. If that's the case, then here's some advice: Deal with it. Apple won't bring it down anytime soon. Some people don't mind paying the extra $400 for every bit of power they can get.

My advice is to get a 2.0 ghz macbook or a refurb 2.4 ghz (unless you want a "brand-new" computer :rolleyes:)

25. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I think if you must ask what the differences are then a MBP is for sure not the right thing for the OP. Facebook and macrumors does not ask much of your comp. i say you stick to a MB