Why is an Apple company, not ready for leopard!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bigtree, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Filemaker is not ready for leopard, since I use it for my business I will have to wait on leopard!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Makes me want to go back to windoze. Not really. It's just madding! The whole reason I went back to the Mac is for Leopard.

This reminds me of the days when you couldn't import and export within any of the Adobe products.

This doesn't make sense!!!

BTW Filemaker Pro is one of my favorite programs!!!!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes, by all means please because apps are NEVER broken by windows updates....

As mentioned more than a few times, Leopard is more of a WANT and not really a NEED. If your business is important, you will wait a week or so for the FM update to come out.

5. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

How do you conduct business with a temper like that?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What rational business person would want to switch mission critical apps to a new OS release? :rolleyes:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just as a key to reading the responses:

Use one :mad: face -> display genuine frustration with the state of technology and receive sympathy from other geeks who "feel your pain."

Use sixty mad faces -> get called out for being a n00b.

Discuss the possibility of returning to a Windows implementation -> discuss the realities of business life running mission critical applications and receive sympathy from other IT people who "yearn to see the day."

Bitch about "windoze" -> get called out for being a n00b.

Etc. ;)

8. Bigtree thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry it came across that way. I did not intend it that way. I'm just really, really excited to get Leopard.

9. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It sucks that FileMaker Pro doesn't work with Leopard, and that you won't be able to upgrade. However, switching to the Mac "because" of Leopard doesn't seem like a good reason. Tiger is still a good OS.

Perhaps you should invest in a Mac Mini. It would be a cheap way to run Tiger for your business + FileMaker Pro, and then you could use whatever Mac you have now with Leopard...

10. Bigtree thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep! These are serious people. Should have been a little softer. Sorry everyone!!!!;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How many seats do you have running at your company? Are you planning on having a Leopard server or just workstation/whatever installs?

Perhaps a good idea for you is to get a single testing/validation seat for Leopard, while you keep your company on Tiger. That way, you can prove it out and get it ready and all that, i.e. have a business excuse to play with Leopard. Perhaps you really need a new 24" iMac to really get the full benefit of this strategy too. ;)

(Actually, for issues like this, it's really too bad that there isn't a good way to use VMWare or the like to run a second installation of OS X over the top of OS X -- you could certainly migrate to Leopard then and run a virtualized Tiger Server with legacy apps on it).

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Exactly. Most businesses wait until the 10.x.3 or so release to make sure the bugs are out.

Calm down, buddy.

13. K&K macrumors newbie

spend and join

It's really disturbing. I've to mail my customers and explain, what I can't. FM will not support previous versions to FM9 on Leopard. And even this will take some time.

If John Gruber from Daring Fireball is right and there are some issues with the Safari 3 Webkit and FileMaker's Webviewer only, why shall I tell my customers to upgrade FM 8.x to 9.x? I guess, the sweet little database company wants us to spend a little more money. Apple and its affiliates are growing their business simply everywhere. It's not that big like M$, but they work on it.

I'm not shure yet, but can I explain it like this?

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

You know, you could always NOT UPGRADE RIGHT AWAY.

It's not required to upgrade to Leopard now or any time in the near future.

And Filemaker is not an Apple company, it's a subsidiary. Quite different.