Why is an Apple company, not ready for leopard!!!

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Filemaker is not ready for leopard, since I use it for my business I will have to wait on leopard!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Makes me want to go back to windoze. Not really. It's just madding! The whole reason I went back to the Mac is for Leopard.

This reminds me of the days when you couldn't import and export within any of the Adobe products.

This doesn't make sense!!!

BTW Filemaker Pro is one of my favorite programs!!!!

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Yes, by all means please because apps are NEVER broken by windows updates....

As mentioned more than a few times, Leopard is more of a WANT and not really a NEED. If your business is important, you will wait a week or so for the FM update to come out.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What rational business person would want to switch mission critical apps to a new OS release? :rolleyes:

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Just as a key to reading the responses:

Use one :mad: face -> display genuine frustration with the state of technology and receive sympathy from other geeks who "feel your pain."

Use sixty mad faces -> get called out for being a n00b.

Discuss the possibility of returning to a Windows implementation -> discuss the realities of business life running mission critical applications and receive sympathy from other IT people who "yearn to see the day."

Bitch about "windoze" -> get called out for being a n00b.

Etc. ;)

Comment

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
It sucks that FileMaker Pro doesn't work with Leopard, and that you won't be able to upgrade. However, switching to the Mac "because" of Leopard doesn't seem like a good reason. Tiger is still a good OS.

Perhaps you should invest in a Mac Mini. It would be a cheap way to run Tiger for your business + FileMaker Pro, and then you could use whatever Mac you have now with Leopard...

Comment

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Just as a key to reading the responses:

Use one :mad: face -> display genuine frustration with the state of technology and receive sympathy from other geeks who "feel your pain."

Use sixty mad faces -> get called out for being a n00b.

Discuss the possibility of returning to a Windows implementation -> discuss the realities of business life running mission critical applications and receive sympathy from other IT people who "yearn to see the day."

Bitch about "windoze" -> get called out for being a n00b.

Etc. ;)
Yep! These are serious people. Should have been a little softer. Sorry everyone!!!!;)

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How many seats do you have running at your company? Are you planning on having a Leopard server or just workstation/whatever installs?

Perhaps a good idea for you is to get a single testing/validation seat for Leopard, while you keep your company on Tiger. That way, you can prove it out and get it ready and all that, i.e. have a business excuse to play with Leopard. Perhaps you really need a new 24" iMac to really get the full benefit of this strategy too. ;)

(Actually, for issues like this, it's really too bad that there isn't a good way to use VMWare or the like to run a second installation of OS X over the top of OS X -- you could certainly migrate to Leopard then and run a virtualized Tiger Server with legacy apps on it).

Comment

K&K

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Frankfurt (Germany)
spend and join

It's really disturbing. I've to mail my customers and explain, what I can't. FM will not support previous versions to FM9 on Leopard. And even this will take some time.

If John Gruber from Daring Fireball is right and there are some issues with the Safari 3 Webkit and FileMaker's Webviewer only, why shall I tell my customers to upgrade FM 8.x to 9.x? I guess, the sweet little database company wants us to spend a little more money. Apple and its affiliates are growing their business simply everywhere. It's not that big like M$, but they work on it.

I'm not shure yet, but can I explain it like this?

Comment

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
yeah...

You know, you could always NOT UPGRADE RIGHT AWAY.

It's not required to upgrade to Leopard now or any time in the near future.

And Filemaker is not an Apple company, it's a subsidiary. Quite different.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.