Why is an "Incremental Upgrade" bad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mattstkc, Feb 24, 2011.

?

Do You Really Think Apple Will Release an "iPad 3" before next March?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2011.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    80.9%
  1. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

So would anyone be calling this an incremental upgrade if we didn't have a billion leaks to almost confirm every new feature?
    Camera - keeping up with Android AND making sure every Apple device is FaceTime compatible.
    Processor Upgrade- Standard for a YtY upgrade
    Graphics Processor Upgrade- Standard for a YtY upgrade
    Thinner, noticeably so- Depending on how thin, I would call this a "redesign". There are rumors of a thinner bezel too!

So even if it is an "incremental upgrade" why is this bad? wtf would you "redesign"? Make it round? Make it flexible?

Would a "Major redesign" only be if it had a retina display?

well we could see that as it would only be a 20-30dpi bump from the previous screen since the definition of a retina display is entirely dependent on distance from the face and the iPad is usually 12-24 inches from the face unlike the iPhone.

Why does everyone want DOUBLE resolution anyway? You don't even have that good of resolution on any TV in existance, AND you don't have it on the brand new MacBook Pros. Why the flying frack do you need it on a 9.7 inch screen?

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Personally I don't care much about the whole retina display thing, IMO it is just a marketing buzzword, it really never changed how I use my iphone 3gs versus my iphone 4. I'd rather they release a slightly higher resolution, thinner case, smaller bezel, and add more hardware features like a microSD reader, pressure sensitive stylus, things like that.

Additionally I'd love it if they spent more R&D in the OS itself. Honeycomb is pretty kick ass from what I've been reading, and iOS is well behind Froyo, much less honeycomb. Apple really needs to make iOS5 something special. I'd MUCH rather have the same or a slightly higher res screen with an iOS5 that is revolutionary (or at least does duh 2008 stuff like lockscreen info and notifications, true multitasking, etc), rather than seeing a retina screen but with just iOS4 plus.

So for me an incremental hardware upgrade isn't a bad thing, although it would certainly keep me from buying an ipad2. But I think an incremental software/OS upgrade would be VERY bad.

3. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

The current display is pixelated and we want a better resolution.

Retina is a fancy marketing term used by Apple and I don't get it why everyone around here is using that name, unless they're referring to 300+ ppi screen which is ATM not feasible and would be overkill IMO...

4. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I just want it to be faster. I care more about iOS 5 than the hardware, to be honest.

5. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

based on viewing distance it doesn't matter if it's 300dpi or 200dpi. or even 150dpi. it would still get called retina and work like one.. http://www.carltonbale.com/blog/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

6. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

that and potentially free/upgraded MobileMe and I agree.

7. Gryzor macrumors 6502

8. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

on a different note I love how all I'm seeing on MacRumors is Xoom ads...:rolleyes:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not bad, but people want more then what apple typically puts out.

Just look at the whining and complaining in the MBP forum here. Lots of unhappy campers because the MBP refresh was incremental. Not much changed.

People were expecting SSDs, built in for the OS, no optical drive, better GPUs, etc, etc.

10. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

fair enough but my 08 MBP before unibody works beautifully still. All I want out of the iPad 2 is a front facing camera and anything else is icing on the cake. I'm not that picky. Xoom is nice, but the apps and services I use work better on iOS.

11. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Camera - Boooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Facetime - Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Processor upgrade - Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graphics processor upgrade - Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinner - Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!!!!! Nothing to see here.

Apple needs to implement some serious new features like Flash (you know the FULL internet experience) or a better display with higher resolution (doesn´t need to be "retina display") for example, if they want to make the iPad 2 interesting. Speed bumps are so boring.

12. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Xoom didn't even launch with Flash, and no one cares anymore. Everything you need to do online is either available in App form or as a Mobile website that's devoid of that stupid thing. I get a new Flash update almost every week on my computer because of security flaws or it crashing my broswer. I shudder to think what that kind of update roller coaster does to a tablet.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Incremental upgrades are irritating when you have a parade of other manufacturers releasing superior hardware with inferior software. It only serves to remind you what Apple could easily be including in its products but isn't (mostly so they can make an extra buck).

14. danielveeee macrumors regular

All I want is a thinner iPad and refreshing software

15. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

from my understanding the iPad 2 (according to the chatter) will match all the "superior hardware" that is being released in the next few months save for an SD card slot.

Yeah they have gone above and beyond to wow before and probably won't this time, but they're still staying competitive and putting out a great quality device in a year with actual competition (e.g. xoom)

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'd be fine with that. Seeing the Xoom offering 5-10x faster browsing than the iPad definitely gave me an itchy wallet.

17. aluren macrumors 65816

It's things like this that makes upgrades worthwhile. People say that these incremental upgrades like processors and ram are boring, but they are essential to computing and user experience. I guess it's boring because every year it's the "same" upgrades. They always want some new features added.

I would love a retina display on the iPad, but now that I think about it, that alone would not be a deal breaker for me.

18. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I seriously need Silverlight more than Flash and when I ask Android people about how you can call a web browser that doesn't support Silverlight a "full internet" experience, I never get much response. Just some grumbling about "people don't use Silverlight." What hypocrites...

19. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

and that's why they don't have netflix streaming on their phones and tablets :p

20. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Ditto. The Xoom is awesome(though limited by the lack of app ecosystem) and I'm anxiously awaiting Apple's March 2 event. Wallet at the ready..