iPad mini Why is Apple forcing people recently?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakeJLF, Nov 4, 2014.

1. JakeJLF macrumors member

JakeJLF

As most of you know, Apple has been changing a lot. More open iOS, bigger phones, and, yeah, hating every mobile device of theirs that I like.

So, I had an iPod 4 and loved it, then I got the 5 and also loved it, but for me, it's time for a new mobile device. I am 14 and can't get a phone yet (but most 8 year olds can which is stupid IMO) and so my only choice for me was an iPad mini.

I found the air too big to be portable (which is true) and Apple seems like it hates the mini now (with that recent rumor) and pretty much every device I like.

Every tech company is making 12+ in tablets and 6 inch phablets (yuck) and it seems every piece of hardware I want gets trashed. (ipod touch, iPad mini, 21.5 inch iMac didn't get retina)

Anyone else feel this way?

2. macduke Suspended

macduke

The market is moving downstream toward higher end devices. Apple makes more money on these premium products. An iPad Pro will probably share 90% of the components that the iPad Mini does, just with more RAM, faster processor with more cores, and better optimized software for getting work done. Apple can start at 64GB with a $200 premium over the $599 Air 2 64GB, and a $300 premium over the $499 64GB Mini 3. I'm just not sure how well this strategy will work because I see lots of iPad Minis around campus—and not just students, many professors and administrators have them. Personally I think they will keep the Mini around, but always keep it behind on specs to even out their margin. Apple has the same system in place for their MacBook Pros. The smaller model is slower with integrated graphics. I may be wrong, but I think by this point there are quad-core processors with TDPs that exist that could go into a smaller MacBook Pro, along with smaller discrete graphics cards, but they don't do it because of margins. And honestly, if you're trying to get more work done, you probably want a bigger display anyway. Is that always true? No. But it's usually true, which is what Apple looks for when designing a product. So the bigger screens get faster processors. It also helps that bigger screens means bigger batteries and bigger surface area to convect heat away.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't feel that way at all. I don't think the iPad mini got the attention it deserved with this "update", but I don't think it is because Apple hates you, or even me. I do wonder if they were reluctant to update the Mini on account of the newest iPhone 6+. Perhaps they looked at it and wondered if the 6+ would truncate sales of the Mini 3. If that is the concern, then why sink cash into a product that may not survive the iPhone 6+?

I love my iPhone 6 + iPad Mini combo. Once I repair the screen on my iPad 3, that will go back to the kitchen where it belongs. I never owned an iPod touch, but bought a couple as gifts and they were nice. The iPod itself has been phased out due to lack of ability to get parts, or some noise like that. I am sure it wasn't personal either.

Technology moves and unfortunately, sometimes it moves in a way that we don't want it to.

4. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

The market changes. If more people were like you, then Apple would continue to make those devices. However, sales are showing the opposite. Hold onto your devices as long as you can, but realize that Apple is a business and needs to make money.

5. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

The iPod Touch is only a couple years old and still works fine. What is making you need a new device?

6. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Are you paying for these devices on your own, or is somebody else buying them for you?

7. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

No. Bigger phones, for one, are what I have been hoping for.

Apple is going with the market ad so far I agree. People wanted bigger phones, they are selling like hotcakes and breaking sales records. How is that forcing anyone? It's what people want and by people I mean the majority.

They are a company in it to make money, period. They made the right choice with larger phones, the sales records bear that out.

It's YOU that feels like you are being forced, not everyone by any means. The thing is you are not being forced, there are other choices. Either buy apple or something else.

8. gtstricky macrumors regular

gtstricky

Your day will come young Jedi.
    You were 8 when the first iPhone came out. By the time you go to college it will be all different. By the time you graduate you will be programing the next cool devices.

9. rmhop81, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i'm glad they are going this direction. It used to be like this in the past, but then they get pressure to grow so made items cheap so everyone can get one. But I get tired of seeing every random person on the street with an old iPhone that they barely wanted to fork the money out to buy....but they had to have it bc everyone else has one.

I experience this stuff with my own family. People are too cheap to barely even buy the (several generations old) base version of a device and then complain that it's slow etc or that they don't have much space.

I wish cell phone companies did away with subsidies and 0 down programs and made people fork out what these devices really cost. You wouldn't have that many complainers out there bc all the ones that complain about the low end devices won't be around to complain about the high end ones.

This a reason why Apple is doing that with some of their products. I know a lot of people who bought iPad mini's ONLY bc it's cheaper than the Air....not for portability reasons etc. Sure there is a big group that buys a higher end mini, but the lower ones sell like crazy bc of the lower price. Why change much to it if the low end is always gonna sell like crazy?

I blame this on the buying habits of the low end users. Too many people could care less about specs..they just want an iPad. Then they buy a 1st gen mini and it's too slow or not enough space they complain. But they aren't willing to pay for a higher end model

10. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

Yes I will try, I know that they care about money but until they stop praising oversized poo they won't get my money

----------

So I guess I will be the one making small devices again LOL

----------

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1812998

----------

Sometimes birthday or christmas gifts or I buy them

11. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I'm betting that a mini 2 or 3 will be perfect for you... Sucks Apple didn't update them this time around, but it is still more than capable (for now).

The only thing Apple is doing is "forcing" people to buy products with higher profit margins... and I, as a stock holder, am happy about this.

It is frustrating though. I got back into an iPad in 2012; when the ipad 4 and original mini came out. One was heavy and fast with a great screen, and the other had a great, light design, but was based on old tech. Went with the 4 in the end, but it was like picking a compromise.

With the Air, Air 2, Mini 2 and 3 (Enough witht he numbers Apple!) I must say that every one of these choices is a winner.

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

technology changes at the blink of an eye nowadays. All your equipment is old and outdated. No one really buys iPods anymore so why should Apple focus all it's attention to something that no one buys anymore?

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am loving Apple. The 6 is the best, what the 5 should have been. I replaced both of my iPad Air units to iPad Air 2 units and passed the others off to the family.

Apple is doing great for me!

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Apple is a business. Whatever they do, is not personal, it is purely in pursuit of the maximum dollars they can squeeze out of the customers pockets while giving back the least in return. That is how the world works - it is not some happy place where everyone cares about the others feelings and happiness. Eat.. Or be eaten.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

I tend to agree with those that think last time Apple made the choice between the rMini and Air really tough with the exception of size it was pretty similar. Maybe they are thinking that, that's what impacted some of their Air sales.

So now they could be approaching the Mini line going forward where it gets the hand me down components from the Air. So when you compare an rMini vs Air, it's not only size but a speed bump. Just 2 pennies worth. :)

16. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Perhaps Apple doesn't love the mini as much as it loves the Air, but I don't think it hates it. It did give it a fantastic update last year, and while this year's upgrade was minimal, it gave it touch id so it could take advantage of the technology the Air 2 will use for making online payments.

I still think the mini is a fantastic device. The technology is one year old now, but that's hardly ancient, and I use it every day. I'm a bit jealous of people like you; we never had anything like this when I was growing up. :)

17. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Advice: Don't trust all rumors you hear. Seriously, all analytics rumors are crap. Only rumors close to release are good.

18. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

I am not saying give all attention to iPod. That would be dumb. Just give the iPad mini more love like last year.

19. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Apple doesn't hate a device.

The iPad mini retina (mini 2) with A7 is still very fine for today's usage. IMHO the A8X uses a lot of energy and may not be really that suitable for the iPad mini which has a smaller battery than the Air.

And the Mini 2 is quite a good deal now due to reduced price.

===

When I was 14, I didn't even have a mobile phone. :(

20. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The Air 2 is very portable. I take mine everywhere I go when I'll be away from home for an extended period of time. Don't have any issues traveling with it.

21. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

I don't have a phone.

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Perhaps you (OP) like "small" but Apple is going where the money is and that is large displays. The mini will soon be history much like the 17" MBP was cut. There are a lot of other mfgs who are still making small tablets so you can easily buy one of those if size matters that much.

23. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

So you're completely happy with your iPad Air 2 despite the vibration? I'm genuinely asking because I retuned mine, but am starting to sorely miss it. :(

----

OP, the iPad Mini would have undoubtedly shared the A8 chip of the iPhone and not the A8X chip. Perhaps supply is already strained on that chip and they didn't want to introduce it on a third product.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The sound vibration was not a deal killer to me. While it was different than my IPad Air 1, it is not a deal killer. I used the ipad2 speaker for basic sound and not music. I got $300 headphones for that. The Air 2 is great and I bet you DO miss it.

25. as11ley macrumors 6502

as11ley

I actually disagree with this.

If you remember, the original mini had the A5 chip, which back when it came out was already one generation old, I expect Apple just put the A7 in it last year to help power that retina display that the original was lacking. The A7 is still a very capable CPU today, so I think it has a while until we see the last of it, it was quite a good step up, even from the A6X chip.

I think that the A8X chip was too power hungry to put into the iPad Mini this year, because of the minis smaller battery, and the A8 wasn't feasible to put in it because really it is only a minor upgrade on the A7 in terms of raw power.

I believe that next year, we may see an iPad mini with and A8X chip, but in a revision to a 14nm process, which will help lower power consumption. Plus, Apple is a business and it probably wants to sell more of its most expensive model.