Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jw3571

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
It looks like you can get 4gb of OCW ram for around $100. Why does apple charge $400? Is it better ram? Can you get SSD for a lot cheaper as well?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Profit. That's it. Get it if you want Apple to be able to exchange your ram if its faulty. Otherwise, as long as you have the capability to dial a phone (for RMA, if needed), it's alot cheaper and no different than getting another brand from NE or amazon or OWC or something.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
LOL I'm pretty sure its just because they are installing it for you. It's not "better" ram. In fact with OWC you get a lifetime warranty with ram. And yes you can get SSD's much cheaper aftermarket as well. Just google around, some nice SSD's can be had in the $150-200 range as long as you don't need a huge one.

TheBaconKing

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Northwest Arkansas
its the Apple Tax..

The same reason a mediocre (stats wise) 13" MBP goes for $1200. Not hating on Apple, but its the truth. Yet it still doesn't stop me for upgrading every 2-3 years.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
But that's not really the same thing. You can only get a Mac from Apple. They're unique in many ways. RAM you can get from anywhere, the same or better than Apple will sell you. There's really no excuse for exorbitant RAM prices.

I bought an excellent laser printer from the Xerox. The 1 gig DDR2 PC-5300 ram upgrade from OWC $50. From Xerox $700. Go figure...

its the Apple Tax..

The same reason a mediocre (stats wise) 13" MBP goes for $1200. Not hating on Apple, but its the truth. Yet it still doesn't stop me for upgrading every 2-3 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
its the Apple Tax.

There's really no excuse for exorbitant RAM prices.
That's why its called the apple tax. You can buy the components cheaper elsewhere but when you go to apple, you're paying a premium.

The same thing can be said for their laptops. Configure a similar computer at dell/hp and you're saving yourself anywhere from 400 to 800 bucks. The debate of windows vs. OSX comes into play, build quality, and design of the computer, but at its most base level, you're credit card is going to be dinged harder when buying a Mac then a PC.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. You mention OSX, build quality and design as if they're just throw-ins like a belt clip in a cell phone box. For the usual Apple tax that you pay on a Mac you get that OSX, build quality and the design, things of value that are worth money. You get nothing extra by paying the "Apple Tax" to buy a RAM upgrade from Apple. That's what makes it exorbitant.

That's why its called the apple tax. You can buy the components cheaper elsewhere but when you go to apple, you're paying a premium.

The same thing can be said for their laptops. Configure a similar computer at dell/hp and you're saving yourself anywhere from 400 to 800 bucks. The debate of windows vs. OSX comes into play, build quality, and design of the computer, but at its most base level, you're credit card is going to be dinged harder when buying a Mac then a PC.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
you own apple products yet you think the ram upgrade prices are rip offs?

you do realize apple markups all their products price up by 80% right...and this is coming from a person who owns a fair bit of apple products.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
you do realize apple markups all their products price up by 80% right...and this is coming from a person who owns a fair bit of apple products.

lolwut?

The BOM for an iPad is estimated at $290. The retail price is $500. Assuming selling, research, and development are free, that's still nowhere near 80%.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
its the Apple Tax..

In all fairness i don't think i would call the RAM upgrade the apple tax because ALL manufacturers charge significantly more for their RAM than just going 3rd party. So overcharging for ram is definitely not unique to apple, however when apple charges a few hundred more for a laptop than another manufacturers equally specked laptop then that is the apple tax lol.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
don't ever upgrade with apple ram because you can get better ram out there for way cheaper. Check out newegg and see some reviews for notebook ram just make sure you get the irght kind.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
lolwut?

The BOM for an iPad is estimated at $290. The retail price is $500. Assuming selling, research, and development are free, that's still nowhere near 80%.

No, but the iDevices don't have as high of a markup as, say, the 13" MBP, which is probably the highest markup that apple has. Probably still not 80%, but still very high.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No, but the iDevices don't have as high of a markup as, say, the 13" MBP, which is probably the highest markup that apple has. Probably still not 80%, but still very high.

The iPhone has the highest margins of Apple's major products by far. Before the iPhone, Apple's gross margins were around 30% and there net profit margins were 2 or 3 percent above the personal computer industry average (around 15% vs industry average of 12%). These numbers are even more significant when you consider that profits from the OS are not included in the competitor's profit margin (because they belong to Microsoft, not the hardware manufacturer.)

The term "Apple Tax" was invented by Microsoft to imply that you do not receive any benefit from the extra money that you may spend on a Mac. Anyone that uses it is simply trying to cloud the real value comparison.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.