Why is Apple so concerned about security and the iPhone SDK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Dec 22, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

Why does Apple have so much concern about security on the iPhone platform when on the desktop/notebook platform it is a non issue?

Won't the SDK allow the iPhone to be exactly like a Mac computer running OS X except that it is mobile? What additional security risks if any does an SDK on the iPhone present that are a non issue on the desktop/notebook version of OS X?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Seems like they don't want the image of the iPhone to be something that crashes often...the iPhone doesn't seem to be perfect at multitasking as is...

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

The platform was/is probably just not ready for close scrutiny.

I was hoping for a much better/faster path of updates and additions for the iphone, but I think they have had to focus their efforts on basic functionality. The two application updates since the original announcement of the phone (youtube and itunes) are completely useless to me, and I am really ready for some productivity apps.

I am really looking forward to an SDK b/c even if it is revealed that the OS is not where it needs to be, the open issue will get problems solved faster.

4. Noumenon macrumors regular

They have been bashing microsoft for so long about being velnerable to security risks, that they don't want to stick their foot in their mouth. Microsoft is attacked because it's on 90% of desktops, not because the security is underdeveloped as Apple would have you believe. They know that their OS is not magic, but their fanboys don't.

5. Noumenon macrumors regular

As an exagerated analogy, if Coleco Vision came out with a computer/OS do you think hackers would waste their time with it? Answer : No. So Coleco could make claims of security superiority all day long. :)

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Given that the word is that lots of stuff runs on the root account, this is probably true. Apple did "just enough" to get the iPhone out the door on time - and they had to pull people off of Leopard just to get that far!. As it is, there are still some issues and some obvious missing features that the hardware could handle (video/sound recording, cut and paste, data disk, landscape/portrait mode in mail, notes etc)

Hence the lack of any SDK. Apple were determined to get a basic working system out the door.

I expect that there will be some real heavy redevelopment to work in conjunction with the SDK. The interesting thing will be just how much is opened up to the SDK. There are some things that Apple/cell networks probably do not want the iPhone to be able to do (bluetooth tethering to laptops, VoIP, IM all come to mind - those "unlimited" data tariffs are not going to stretch that far I think). Apple would kind of like to make some money from their efforts - and their partners are going to go ape if suddenly they cannot expect any call revenue from iPhone users because they can circumvent their milch cow call and sms business.

I'm bracing myself for the howls of indignation when the SDK rolls out and people find that it does not expose every single facet of the hardware and software. Don't know how limited the SDK will be - but I find it hard to believe it is going to completely open things up. It may just add some functionality to allow web apps to store some data locally so they can be used without WiFi/Edge connectivity.

7. Noumenon macrumors regular

....Now that the iPhone is in the spot light, Apple better either wear clean shoes or get their security nailed.

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

lots of people have phones and view them in a different light to computers. They might use windows, but they have an iPod and can use and iPhone. Also, as so many people have phones, a solid phone virus could take down nearly everyone in the whole world at once...

9. Noumenon macrumors regular

Trying to keep voice and data as separate entities is like trying to hold back the tide, and I'm sure AT&T and the others know this,.. but who knows maybe AT&T has a say in what is open for developers.

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Their is application sand-boxing and application signing now in Leopard. It is highly likely that this will be coming to Mobile OSX as it required for the 3rd party application plans.

I think we have a big update coming in Feb/March. Why do small incrementals when that's about to drop?

As for all the daft comments about Microsoft and Apple and security. If you don't understand the technical issues then you just embarrass yourselves by posting this nonsense.

11. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

But all the service providers are still trying real hard... Guess they are going to get wet.

12. projectle macrumors 6502

Think about it this way...

First time your computer crashes while you are frantically trying to finish a project and you loose whatever you were working on... you are an idiot for not saving.

Now, imagine that your phone crashes while you are frantically trying to call 911... Apple has a lawsuit on their hands.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is pretty much it. People have been trained to expect crashes on their computer but they expect their phone to ALWAYS work.

These days, phones and computers aren't all that much different, but this is still the public's expectation. It buts companies like Apple on the hot seat because the expectations are so much higher on one platform than the other.

14. skeen macrumors 6502

Oh this faulty logic again. Yes, out of the thousands and thousands of hackers, not a single one of them, despite claims such as this, has made attempts at hacking the Mac cos there aren't enough people using them. That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Stupidest thing I've heard today! You can't honestly think this a logical argument? You can't honestly think that absolutely no one has made these kinds of attempts? That's ludicrous.

15. samab macrumors 6502a

Apple is NOT concerned about security on the iphone at all --- all programs run on root.

16. Archie- macrumors regular

So why did no one try and make a Tiff vulnerability virus in those many months when the hole was wide open and big enough to drive a truck through? Can you explain that? Was it because the OSX security was superior? Or was it lack of economic interest?

17. bredfan macrumors newbie

Nobody's saying people don't make attempts to hack Macs. I've been hit on my MAC before.

However, if you're one of those who choose to invest the time in exploiting security holes, which platform would provide "more bang for the buck" so to speak?

Think about it. If the roles of MAC and PC were reversed, where would the greater risk be?

It's not faulty logic, just the nature of the beast.

This conversation reminds me of quote from Saving Private Ryan.

"One man is a waste of ammo. Five men is a juicy opportunity".

18. skeen macrumors 6502

And you think it's likely that 100% of hackers would think this way? 100%? Even those that own Macs? That's a stupid claim. Yes, the majority of people would look for security holes in Windows, but the majority isn't 100%.

19. Archie- macrumors regular

So you have to be smart enough to write a rootkit from scratch, and stupid enough to cut your target population down by 95% immediately. Thats a pretty rare combination.

20. crackermac macrumors member

Mac OS X is built on Unix, FreeBSD. That is one of the most widely used distros of Unix. Mac OS may have smaller numbers, but FreeBSD certainly doesn't. Saying people don't develop attacks for it is not true.

Apple needs to keep the image of 'It just works.' That's probably why the SDK is taking a while. It's already out to some of the 'big names.'

21. bredfan macrumors newbie

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really following where you're coming from.

We seem to be in agreement based on the bolded statement above.

I'm simply saying it's a matter of quantity and opportunity. Not a matter of superior security.

Would you not agree?

22. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Yeap. They definitely don't want to slip up ANYWHERE. This is their first cell phone, and if they are already getting attacked, disabled, etc... then it doesn't really look good for them.