Why is Apple still distributing OS X by DVD only?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Sep 18, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Surely the beta-testers download seeds (probably via torrent?). Aperture and iWork are available via download. Still retail copies of OS X can't be downloaded? They could certainly use a key as they do with Aperture and iWork, and honestly, anybody who wants to steal software already is, but this would make things convenient for the rest of us. I would far prefer to have a download option and then burn my own DVDs.

Optical media is so 20th century.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately most US bandwidth is too low for this to be viable...maybe 10.6 :)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I tend to agree...but I also think most people feel more secure having a official hard copy of their OS around.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Doesn't this lead to a chicken-and-egg problem if your only computer is hosed?

I'll keep my DVDs, thank you.

5. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

When you download it, you create your own DVD.

6. Heath macrumors regular

It comes in quite handy when you only have one machine and it's hosed =)
    Downloading isn't an option then.
    I don't know how useful a download option would be either. Most mass installs would probably use a tweaked and configured image from a local server rather than the default install from a slow Apple server.

Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture though.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so whats the problem with them shipping you the DVD(s) instead?

i prefer the package. and it causes less headache for them i'm sure. no "i forgot to burn it" garbage.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You'll never see downloadable versions of OSX. Believe it or not it does cut down on piracy some.

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I would much, much prefer a downloadable DVD that I can burn rather than something Apple burned. Much better than having to go to the Apple store or waiting for shipping.

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I think it is better that way, as everyone gets a bootable disk and printed manual.

I think :apple: will reduce the packaging size though, so it is like the current Tiger packaging, rather than the larger boxes we used to get,

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Unlike other software, an OS can't be installed off a file; it HAS to be on some external media like a DVD. Makes sense for it to be sold that way.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Earth to netdog. If you use torrent on many firms' networks, you will receive a phone call from IT politely asking you to stop. Many ISPs will shut you down for using torrents on their domains. The takeaway message is that torrents are not particularly reliable as a distribution medium for products like MacOS X 10.5.

13. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Earth to netdog(2) Apple is a business, in it to make money. DVD is far more secure and useful for the majority of users (Read "A Confederacy of Dunces")
    Can you imagine the amount of service calls if apple followed your wisdom. a nightmare, methinks.

14. paulbaker macrumors regular

Yep, I download apps all the time.

some however, need to be hard-copied, and be official - it only protects your investment.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not all Macs are connected to the web. This may come as a surprise to some.

16. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I wish that people would pay a little more attention to the post. It says, "Why is Apple still distributing OS X by DVD ONLY?

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can install it from your own harddrive if you want. Just resize your drive to have a 7GB blank partition at the end and then restore the install image onto that blank partition. You can choose that partition to boot the install. Never have to use a DVD again :D

Apple already does this resizing with bootcamp, they could make the downloadable install file do this resizing and partitioning itself and then reboot.

They like to relive the good old days :D When men were men and macs were PowerPC!

18. lamadude macrumors 6502

Yeah many PC manufacturers do that, but you lose 7 GB of harddrive space. Besides, if your harddrive fails you're screwed as well.

19. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

You're kidding right?!?

;)

TS

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

As PlaceofDis said, it removes a potential tech support nightmare. I'm sure tech support would feel more secure knowing that there are only Apple install discs out there and they don't have to troubleshoot incorrectly burned DVDs.

Plus, it's very un-Apple-like...download file, burn bootable disc, insert disc into computer, restart, install software. There are a couple of extra un-Apple-like steps in that process.

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Or they could do this

download -> open downloaded image which creates a new install partition and reboots the machine into the new install without using a DVD at all -> when the OS is installed then remove the partition and all is well in the world of apple

No need to worry about dvd's at all.

22. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You'd still need a hard copy if something goes wrong with your computer. So at some point, the Apple instructions are going to tell you to burn a DVD. Tech support doesn't want to have to deal with customer burned DVDs or as others have said the "I forgot to burn it" problem.

23. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

A lot of linux disros can be installed with only a start up disk on say a floppy disk then it preforms a network install form a local host or the distros own networks on the web. I find this very convenent and it can install a 5 GB distro over my 1Mb connection at the time in 7 hours witch is just a nice overnighter but with 8 and 22 Mb connections now im guessing the process would be a lot faster.
    Why dosnt apple just put the boot media into the firmware there for you could just press apple i at boot up, pick the new version you want to buy and or one of the versions you allready own and install it to disk.

24. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

For the first item, they could have a program which verifies the DVD as it boots up. Giving an error if it isn't right.

If it is wrong, and this includes the forgot to burn problem, then apple will just offer to ship the DVD's to the person when they agree shipping costs.