Why is Apple store's Genius so ignorant?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ChristWolves, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ChristWolves macrumors regular

At the first place, the Genius should not be called Genius.

My Early-2008 MBP has got two hard drive failure within 3 days, so the woman in the WestQuay Apple store offered to replace a new MBP for me, BUT... The early-2008 MBP I got is the highest end model. She offered to replace a BASE MODEL latest MBP for me because she told me the specs are higher than my Early-2008 which I disagree.

She even stated in the e-mail that the 9400M GT graphics card is dedicated. What on Earth is she thinking?

Anyway, has anyone got any experience in getting a MBP replacement? Do you get replaced from the highest spec MBP to a base model? She even asked me to pay if I want to get the mid-range current MBP. :mad:

Does Apple has any "Official" policy regarding this matter?

Thanks a lot.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh god, not this crap again.

You should feel lucky you're getting a replacement at all. If you actually have an argument other than "you disagree [with the representative]", let's hear it.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Why don't you provide DETAILS of the specs of the 2 machines? Then we can give you better feedback. Truth is, she may be right (but until we see the specs we will be speculating).

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

If you paid for the high end model, you can expect to get the current high end model for a replacement.

You paid the premium price for more bang, so they really can't fob you off with a low end model that costs less than you paid for your model.
    It doesn't matter if the current model is faster, just insist on a high end model!
    If she doesn't give in, ask another Apple employee.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There's only one Genius for all Apple stores?

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Well, if the op has a 15" or 17" mbp – and there were no smaller mbps at that time – he has an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT gfx card, which is easily about twice as fast as the integrated 9400M GT found in todays low-end machines. This makes more of a difference than probably going from a 2,4 ghz C2D to a 2,6 ghz C2D processor, depending on usage. Why should an inferior machine be accepted as a replacement? No, the op shouldn't feel lucky he gets a replacement at all, if his machine is defective he has the RIGHT to get one – and apart from that not an inferior one, even if it's only in one aspect.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

You should call them back and ask for the same or better MBP that you earlier had. I had this same case and they sent in the higher model one immidiately.

8. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

ABSOLUTELY !!!

get a free replacement after 3 years without the apple care is a very good gesture...

anyway, the 8600M GT was a defective chipset for lots of MBP, accepting the new machine would be a safer choice

moreover, it's not about specs but about money... the woman probably offered what matches best with the price of the old machine...

ChristWolves, the new screen is way better, so is the new battery, the processor is faster, etc...

9. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

How the hell does a hard drive failure warrant a full replacement? Last time I checked, hard drives were averaging about $100 where as a new MBP was about $1500-$2000.

Why is this even an issue. You're being offered a brand new computer over a $100 issue. Take it and be grateful. In the meantime, show me another company that would treat you as well as Apple has.

10. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

I will definitely opt for the replacement! (duH~)

I am glad that pukifloyd experienced the same damn thing! HOW did you convince the Genius/m0ron to get you a higher specs MBP? I told her, look I've got a DEDICATED 512MB nVidia 8600m gt graphics card and you are going to replace it with an INTEGREATED 256mb shared 9400m gt graphics? What if I got a base model Early-2008 MBP, are you going to replace the same base model for me?

Then she told me that the 9400m gt graphics is dedicated, so either take it or get your old MBP repaired or pay for the upgrade. :( And yes, she will replace the same base model if I were to purchase the base model Early-2008 MBP few decades ago. :( :( Do you think I can get someone else in the store rather than this rotten :apple:? Your guide might be helpful to me. :rolleyes:

@miles01110, LoL! I never know there're so many complains about the m0rons. But yea, I am feeling lucky to get a replacement, but just feel that I am not really satisfied with the offer she has given me. I have read reports where people get higher specs MBP, but... *sigh*

@eawmp1, can you accept the fact that I am going to return my 512mb DEDICATED nVidia 9600mgt graphics and getting a 256mb 9400m gt shared graphics? That hurts, A LOT!

@Transporteur, that is the thing I was wondering... Apple replaces MBP based on the equal-specs or equal-value, any idea? I have no facts to argue with that m0r. She agrees to replace the top-end model if I can afford to pay more. :mad:

@Peterkro, it depends whether you're refering to qualified Genius's Genius or the other way round. :p

@macchiato2009, I got myself Applecare 3 years warranty to get that MBP replacement and it is only two years old. And yea, the battery on my old MBP only last merely two hours, so I am definitely going for the NEW ONE! :)

@Corrode, I don't care the value of the HDD as long as I get a new and latest MBP!

FYI guys, I have also called Apple Customer Relations and they told me to refer to the Apple store as this is an agreement between the store and I. And I will wait till tomorrow or the day after to request for the latest (hopefully high-end) model. *fingers crossed* :D

11. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Maybe I missed it but where does it state his AppleCare status?

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Skip the store and call Applecare directly.

Or try a different store.

I too am not sure why you are getting an entirely brand new MBP for a $100 drive.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are some bad apples (no pun attended), would you rather take it to say.. Best Buy?

...thought so.

14. coloursinmyhead macrumors newbie

That's unfortunate. My mid-2007 MBP suffered 5 failures since January of this year (YES FIVE!). I convinced them to replace my then-mid range system for the current mid-range system, a 2.16ghz C2D 2007 MBP for a 2.66 C2D 2010 MBP unibody.

Since then (fortunately perhaps) my hard drive died another two times from click of death. I've had a freakish cold streak, but I asked the Apple store for a gift certificate rather than a replacement computer, and they complied. I plan to pick up an i7 the second it goes online.

My main tip is to have your repair record on hand and to be comfortable speaking their lingo (I'm sure if you post here you are more than qualified to do so). I was polite but aggressive, and thankfully got the best resolution out of a bad situation as possible.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can find the box for the original purchase or you have the receipt from the Apple Store (assuming you bought it as the Apple Store), then bring those and as for store credit. You should get all the money back.

16. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

@keithers24, yeah I did purchase Applecare for my MBP (luckily)... Which is going to be expired next year.

@Badger^2, I called Customer Relation, but then they asked me to go back to the store as it is the agreement between the store and I. I can't try a different store because my MBP is already in Westquay, unless I can go to London and have the same treatment (as in new MBP replacement)! :)

New MBP might be coming out tomorrow: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ers_for_macbook_pros_ahead_of_new_models.html

17. coloursinmyhead macrumors newbie

I forgot to note that I read through the warranty agreement and I was conscientious of telling them that the system was DOA. As soon as I dropped the Apple warranty lingo they knew I had done my homework. This is only an option for the first 30-days after the initial replacement though, obviously.

18. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Yeah I saw that in the post above mine (must have submitted around the same time)

I was referring to the post where someone had said you should be grateful to get a replacement without having apple care. I was merely stating that at that point I don't think we knew if you did have apple care or not.

Also IMHO if they are offering (for whatever reason) to replace your MBP it should be for an equal or greater model. And a base MBP isnt equal. I would argue the case.

19. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

@thegoldenmackid, I'm in England, UK so nope... Apple store is the best hope apparently. Even if you take it to John Lewis, they will direct you to Apple store anyway, I think.

@coloursinmyhead, did they replace it FOC or you need to pay for the upgrade to mid-range specs? And yes, all my hard drive died of click of death - the pin can be heard being stucked at a point where it keeps reading, reading, reading and reading... And then I told the Genius that it is not the problem of the hard drive, but the overall MBP has some problem which causes the hard drive failure everytime. Do you mean that the gift certificate the Apple store gave you entitles you to get another MBP?!?! That would be awesome~
    Anyway, I don't think I can speak their lingo as I don't know much about the Apple world. Haha! I hope that I can convince her to give me the top-spec without paying a single penny, but at the same time keeping my temper low low low...
    My MBP is already 2 year-old, so there is no way to use the word DOA. Any other lingo to recommend? Like warranty satisfaction or something? :cool:

@alphaod, I have got the box recycled unfortunately... :eek: So it all depends on how well I speak to the Apple representative tomorrow.

20. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I can't really argue much over the phone (I LOVE my iPhone), so I gonna tell her about it when I meet her face-to-face tomorrow! I agree with you for the last point you made there. I would ask her to AT THE VERY LEAST give me the damn mid-range (latest, hopefully) MBP. :)

21. coloursinmyhead macrumors newbie

Replaced completely free of charge. I actually paid the difference to go from mid-range to the 2.8ghz C2D.

After the 2nd click of death bad HD, at my request Apple Store gave me a gift card for the entire value of the high-end MBP, plus tax.

My main argument when I got my 07 MBP replaced with a unibody was, look, this computer has spent just about as much time at the Apple Store as in my possession. What you're trying to do here by replacing hard drive after hard drive simply isn't working, and that's your failing, not mine. I think it's clear that I've got a lemon on my hands, and considering that I invested in AppleCare, you should make this situation right and replace my system completely.

As far as which system they went with, the particular 'Genius' I worked with looked at where my computer lay in its range when it was new, and chose to give me the equivalent, which was the mid-range system.

Hope you turn out as lucky as I was in resolving the situation.

22. saint.duo macrumors member

Genius is a title, get over it. When the stores first opened it meant something, now they hire too fast; and a large percentage of the true geniuses got sick of retail and left to do their own thing, or went to Cupertino.

Every replacement I've ever seen for friends and such has been for a like model, or the low end of the current model if yours has been discontinued. If there is a specific feature you paid for, call Apple support, ask for customer relations, have your case number handy, and explain to them why you think you should get the higher model as a replacement.

They do have an official policy, but if memory serves, it is not to be disclosed outside of Apple. Though since I haven't been able to read things like that for over 5 years, it might have changed.

23. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I have to pay a single penny for mine because my MBP is the most expensive along the MBP lines at that time (and even now)! Prices for MBP dropped dramatically after I purchased mine.

Does that mean that you are currently owning one MBP now and waiting for the i7 to be your second MBP with your giftcard? Lucky you! I don't think I have such luck dealing with such a selfish m0ron in the UK.

I've recorded your speech and waiting to be played when I talk with here *beep* :D

Thanks a lot for the advice/tips/hints - i7 is gonna be out in a few hours if the rumors serve me right! Cheers...

24. akkkmed, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  25. ChristWolves thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, no really? My Early-2008 high-end MBP has been discontinued, which means that it is legit for her to replace it with a low-end current model and pay more to upgrade to a higher-end? :(
    I don't like that, but I will try my best to talk over it and get at least a mid-range MBP FOC since I got AppleCare for this reason - Not to pay a single penny for three years to repair my Mac! :mad: