Why is Apple TV so dam clunky?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Liam Steven, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Liam Steven macrumors regular

Cut a story short:

I bought an Apple TV from Amazon and it froze, it stopped responding, it wouldn't respond to the Remote App and it frequently had to be physically unplugged.

It was slow changing tracks and the Remote App would say connecting and then no songs and would loop until I manually killed the app.

I returned it to Amazon and purchased a new Apple TV direct from Apple and guess what? It isn't much better. In fact the only improvement is that when I connect from the remote app it actually wakes aTV but still ocassionally loops with connecting and "No Songs" screen.

In the time I have replaced 5S to a 6 and I have connected the Apple TV directly to my 802.11ac WAP via cable (not sure if aTV supports gigabit so...).

Even now when attempting to connect it has frozen my control centre, changed its name to "Apple TV (2)" and switched onto mirroring.

Am I just on a duff aTV or is it just generally a really clunky experience?

2. mikejfrd macrumors regular

You must be on a "duff" TV or have a slow WIFI connection because mine works great.

3. Liam Steven thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using an 802.11ac WAP on the 5Ghz band so I can't understand why it would be due to a slow wi-fi connection.

I've even dug out my old b/g WAP and that's no better.

At least it's nice to have a paper weight with the glossy apple logo on it...

4. twintin macrumors 6502

Seems you may have problem with interference then. Both me and my father have an ATV and none of us have your issues. I haven't seen anyone else either have such issues as yours.

Have you tried an ethernet cable instead (just for test purpose) ?

The reason your ATV shows up as ATV(2) maybe because:

1. You have both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi enabled with same name.

2. Your router or iOS device may have cached info about your previous ATV and hence sees your new one as a different one.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

I have 2 current Apple TVs and 1 gen 2. I haven't experienced anything like this on any of them, so no it's not normal.