Why is AppleCare cheaper on eBay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArthurDaley, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

I just bought Apple Care (APP) on eBay at half the price Apple want. It's just a number after all, so how do the sellers on eBay get hold of these numbers?

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Some of the eBay AppleCare numbers have proven to be not authentic, and won't work. Not saying that's what you got, but...

3. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

I reged it with Apple yesterday and got a certificate back.

4. vga4life macrumors 6502

AppleCare has a big markup and is also a single worldwide SKU. Sellers who have access to wholesale pricing of AppleCare can move more units if they accept a lower margin. Also, some of the cheapness is currency arbitrage I think - sellers buying in places with favorable exchange rates.

I have bought AppleCare for my last 4 Macs on eBay. Have never had a problem with a counterfeit number, but I only go to reputable sellers. (Note: I would never buy a Mac on eBay - I only recommend buying AppleCare there.)

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

eBay is a great place to save money on applecare (mobileme too, for that matter). Yes, the markup on warranty stuff is insane so the retailer pays far less for the wholesale product than most apple items. Make sure the seller has a very high feedback rating and, with ebay's focus on "the buyer is always right", if you have an issue, it will most likely be resolved in your favor.