Why is Apple's ticker AAPL?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by DTphonehome, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes, take a look at any business magazine or financial site mentioning Apple, and it's always iPod related.

At best, they might mention the "halo-effect" or some rumored new gadget like the iPhone, but it's always half-hearted mentions.

Apple could announce next quarter that their computer hardware sales quadrupled while their iPod sales fell 10% and the stock would plummet.

Hopefully, Apple can outgrow this by contuninung to post solid numbers, but it's going to take a long time for them to get out of the iPods long shadow in the business world.

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

It depends on what stock table that you're looking at. I know the ones found in USA Today are sorted by Company Name, but the ones that used to show up in the Philly Inquirer (at least back in the 80's) didn't list the company name and just had tickers. In that case, AAPL would be listed ahead of APLE or APPL.

But then again, it could just be legend and not based entirely on facts.

ft

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Then there's the fact that where a company is listed on the exchange has zero impact on the stock itself.

I mean, this isn't the phone book where people will phone to exterminators in alphabetical order until they find a price they like... investment bankers don't just toss around millions of dollars because one tech company's ticker is higher than another's...

(At least, they shouldn't!)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Quite right. If Steve & Steve were so interested in alphabetical advantages, they'd have named the company Aardvark Computer. I think we should be so grateful that they weren't. I mean, who'd want to buy computers named for various types of ants?

5. leahtsang macrumors newbie

I would say APPL was take so the next best choice would be AAPL as "An Apple" instead of APLE, APLL and APEE those are ugly names.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank you for your input. After 3 years, this thread now has closure. :rolleyes:

7. okmikey123 macrumors newbie

okmikey123

yeah it is

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

haha yeah it was! In 2006 when that post was made there was no iPhone yet and the stock price was around $12 per share.

9. chabig macrumors 603

An old thread, but now the company's name is just "Apple, Inc."

10. okmikey123 macrumors newbie

okmikey123

I made this account just to say yeah as a joke but wow, that's before the stock split. I was only 10 years old back then, but kudos to any of you that bought it

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well hey get 100 posts under your belt and then you can post in the PRSI forum where the real fun begins. :)

12. BoulderAdonis macrumors regular

BoulderAdonis

Well, *that* comment hasn’t weathered well ... :D:D:D

13. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

Apple foresaw the butterfly keyboard and wanted to get ahead of the game with the repeating A in AAPL.

14. deasys macrumors newbie

Actually, it has!

Wall Street has just substituted the iPhone for the iPod and is thus making the same stupid error in evaluating Apple. Quite pitiful really…

15. threesixty360 macrumors 6502

if it was anything to do with Jobs he probably wanted to guarantee it was the first stock on the list in alphabetical order.

16. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

17. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Amusing comment, but a failure.

aapl2.jpg

18. threesixty360 macrumors 6502

well its in the top 10... not sure where APPL would be.
    Not even sure how many of those tickers were there when Apple IPO'd either..

19. willmonwah macrumors newbie

willmonwah

FT, did you mean Infinite Loop by Michael S Malone? I had 10 minutes to take a peak inside the book at the library today and it attributes the ticker to Apple's then PR chief Fred Hoar. It's a tantalizing detail but doesn't go into detail around the thought process.

APPL (Appell Petroleum, now delisted) would have been taken but APLE (Apple Hospitality REIT, Inc., listed in 2015) would have been available.