Why is Assistant so revolutionary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Sep 30, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

Not to be a troll or anything but didn't Android have it for a while? Or is it better accuracy/faster/etc than Google? I seriously don't know what the big deal is.

2. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

It depends completely on implementation and how accurate their recognition is. We'll find out on Tuesday.

3. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

The function itself isn't revolutionary but I have a feeling Apple will have it wrapped into the OS quite nicely. That's the attraction. It's going to work very well within the sandbox.

4. cward0715 macrumors regular

Download "Siri" and tell me whether or not it's already better than google. (It is) And imagine how much it would have improved over the last YEAR that Apple has owned the Nuance (Siri) company.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think when Star Trek the Next Generation came out, they showed the practical applications of an assistant. Back in those days, the concept of a Google search or Spotlight was missing and they would just have Commander Data speed read pages of documents over a few minutes.

6. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

It would be awesome to command the phone using your own voice.

7. RobbySkateboard macrumors regular

The main difference from what I can gather from rumors of course so that means this is just best guesses, but that the iphone assistant won't require an internet connection like the google version does. It'll be built in (thus needing the a5 chip) and integrated in all apps that have a keyboard. I'm also assuming if you hold the home button to get to voice control you can ask general questions (which would require the internet to get results) such as "where's the closest Jack in the Box?" "What's the score of the Giants game?" and things like that. And it also won't make you talk like a robot to use it, from whatever source I read this from and from my own experience having used dragon dictation, you can talk pretty normally and fluidly and it'll still know what you mean.

Just don't say okie dokie, the androids think okie dokie is horny donkey according to my friends phone. But then again, it's not really okay to say okie dokie in the first place.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

We don't even know if it is revolutionary until Tuesday. If Jobs makes a surprise appearance, I admit he does have the charisma to make us think it is "revolutionary" and "magical." Most charismatic spokesman and business leader in the history of tech.

But yeah, I probably won't use it just like I never used FaceTime. I think people don't mind fidgeting with their touchscreen phones to do stuff over talking to it. I don't even use the Voice Search on the Google app.

I would prefer a UNIVERSAL translator app over just some refined voice commands feature. I live in Los Angeles which is a huge melting pot. If someone was speaking close to the mic of our iPhone in a foreign language, I would love to see it translated in our phone and just read off the screen or hear it instantly. Very similar to Word Lens but you need to hear it instead of seeing it and you use the mic over the camera. Some of the language barriers would be long gone.

9. z3r0inc macrumors regular

I'll give it a chance... so long as I don't have to yell "sudo" at it...

10. Nevadadrifter macrumors newbie

Honestly, voice based interface is something that has been around for quite a few years. And for as long as its been around, i have yet to see a device that has mastered the implementation, including Apple. The voice commands on my 3GS are half assed at best. I can get them to work accurately, but i have to speak clearly, slowly, and precisely. And therein, lies the problem. What good is voice recognition software, if you have to sound like a robot to use it?

That being said, i have a feeling that if anyone can master this, and wrap it up in a systemwide interface that operates smoothly, while not requiring the user to alter their everyday speech habits, it will be Apple

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

^^ This.

"iPhone, tea, Earl Gray, hot."
    "Locating nearest Starbucks. Turn left on 13th and travel 1.2 miles. Destination on right."

Some company created a voice map of Gene Siskel, I'm sure they could do it for Majel Barret as well...

13. f00f macrumors 65816

Nope. They really don't. Folks have gotten that down to a science -- even while driving.

14. film major macrumors member

I kind of get the feeling that Apple is not going to release an iPhone5 we will get a iPhone 4S or whatever you want to call it.

I think Apple has been putting all its eggs in one basket and that basket is iOS5. This Assistant thing I think will be really cool if it works well. It has to be leaps and bounds better than the google version though or people won't care.

Anyone else agree that even though this event on Oct. 4th, even though it's about hardware, will really be about the software. I think they will show off the new phone and how iOS5 works magically on it and you have to buy the new phone because of iOS5.

It won't be just about the hardware.

15. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

If it works like the video.....it's bad ass. i was quick to dismiss it but I really could see it being practical as long as it is accurate.

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like talking to his phone? The only occasion it would be beneficial is when I'm driving in the car, but that's about it.

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

It isn't revolutionary, but Apple will say it is, and people will believe them.

18. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I am just hoping that you have to press something or open something to make this work... I can just see my wife and I with our 2 iPhone's and 2 iPad's and one of us yelling a command and all 4 coming to life and trying to send a message or play the same song or call whom ever.... shall be interesting

19. Username02 macrumors regular

+1 but I don't drive or have a car.

20. Daniel L macrumors 6502

If it's as accurate as Google voice's voicemail to text speech recognition, it'll be useless.

21. Merkie macrumors 68020

WP7 Mango already has deep voice integration built into the OS by the way. You can literally have conversations with your phone while you're in the car.

22. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

copy/paste and multitasking were glorified too.

23. weintrw macrumors newbie

Let's hope it's "thought reading" not voice recognition

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one that is convinced the only thing The Assistant is CERTAIN to do, is increase the annoying voices from the already obnoxious way people talk to phone calls; to add speaking to the Assistant when they don't care about the people around them?

This is a service we can do without.

24. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

yup and even in version one you say "Start Flashlight" and the flashlight app turns on. Now in Mango the voice integration is even more awesome. If you're listening to music and a text comes in the music slows to a pause and you get a prompt "A new message from Adam You can say Read it or Ignore". Say Read it, and the phone reads the text to you even translating things like lol into laugh out loud :D then it says "You can say reply or ignore" say reply "Say your message" speak it it then say "Send" music resumes. Pretty awesome.

25. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWJXY3NaAw

That is pretty awesome