Why is ATT so stupid? No upgrade!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silver8ack, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver8ack macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have 2 iPhone 4s(not the 4s, that's plural :) ).

One line is eligible for an upgrade, the other is not until February. Both purhased the same day. It's actually cheaper for me to cancel my second line and move to another carrier. ATT rep was not helpful at all. Basically said, yea it would be cheaper for you to move... No help.

Why would they be so dumb? Not only am I likely to move carriers now, after the crappy 4s announcement I'm seriously considering Android.

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yeah...how dare they hold you to the terms of the contract you agreed to.

Those a-holes.

3. NoHo macrumors 6502

Maybe you shouldn't have gotten the iPhone 4 and just stuck with your 3GS until the next gen after iPhone 4.

That's what a lot of us did. And then there wasn't even a release in June like there always was so we had to wait 2 and a half years and you're complaining because you had to wait a year and aren't eligible for an upgrade?

Chill out, buddy. Your iPhone 4 is still new.

4. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really? They aren't holding me to the terms for the first line. It's better to lose a customer these days I guess.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why is AT&T so stupid? Perhaps the better question is how ignorant do you have to be to think that a 2 year contract means anything but?

6. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

WTF is your people's problem. You like taking it up the butt from companies.

What is the logic to allow one line to upgrade early and not the other? They're still sticking me with another 2 year contract.

7. Virance macrumors regular

It's a numbers game. They recover the subsidized cost of the phone faster on your main line than they do on subsequent lines, so they can offer you an upgrade on that line sooner without incurring a loss on the subsidy.

8. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Any rep telling a customer that it would be cheaper to go elsewhere is laughable. The money is in keeping the customer. Idiocy.

9. silver8ack, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011

silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

You are missing the point!!!!

You keep saying they holding me to the terms...THEY ARE NOT. they are allowing one lone to upgrade early and not the other... What's the point.

Forget about it.

10. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I can't believe some people still don't get this. AT&T has specific criteria for determining when to bump up someone's upgrade, based on the amount of money spent on that line. They aren't being nice to some and not others.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You do realize how ridiculous and petty you sound, right?

You signed a contract on two lines for a two year term. They let you out of it on one of them (when they certainly weren't obligated to do so) and they are the bad guy because they didn't cut you loose on both?

The sense of entitlement in our society never ceases to amaze me.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Poor you.
    You still haven't learned how contracts and subsidies work.
    You can't just get a full upgrade whenever you want just cause you threaten to leave.

13. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Well that is the first helpful post. Thank you and it makes sense.

And yea they quoted me $457 I think for the 16gb. It would be cheaper to pay the $175 he quoted me to cancel and sign up for $199 elsewhere. I said are you telling me it's cheaper to cancel and go elsewhere... Yes was his reply. Nothing more. Peace!

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Call again and ask for customer retentions. They are much more humble.

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They let me upgrade every year.

I have had the original 2g, 3G, 3GS, 4, and I am also eligible on the 4S.

Had to call AT&T customer service for the 3GS and 4S upgrades though.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No problem here. I've been very happy with AT&T for over 12 years. I get two upgrades per year, one for each line I have.

I take a slightly different approach than you do. Whenever there is a problem (no company is perfect) I simply call them and have a pleasant conversation. If the result of that conversation seems unfair, I don't freak out, or use foul language on the forum.

I stop. I think, perhaps the person I was talking to was new, or uninformed or just having a bad day. So I call back and give it another try. The usual result is quite good. I've even had them give me a cash credit of $100 when they have made a mistake on my bill. One simply cannot ask for anything more than that.

Just like Apple, I always get really good customer service from them.

Perhaps it's my approach :)

17. trouble747 macrumors 6502

It all depends on what you pay monthly on the line.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said, and I agree completely.

19. drenline, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Nah, **** that. The best way to get stuff done is to cuss them out and demand what you think should be yours.

20. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Who said I cussed them out. The convo with the rep was actually pleasant. I was just stunned they were so curt regarding losing a customer.

Truth is I should have left a long time ago. Service is horrible in my area.

21. spades1412 macrumors 6502

AT&Ts upgrade policy is not very easy to find on the AT&T site. Another posted already pointed out why one of your lines is eligible after only a year while the other is not. Basically, you are most likely on a family plan and your main line is generating most of the income for AT&T while the other line is an add on at $10/month. Your main line is generating $x.xx more than the other line, therefore it becomes eligible for upgrade sooner.

Here is a link that explains this in detail. This explains why some lines are eligible after only 12 months while others become eligible after 20 months.

http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resources/att-wireless-cell-phone-upgrade-eligibility-requirements/

Hope this helps.

22. racer1441, Oct 6, 2011

racer1441 macrumors 68000

I see your point. It's about consistency.

And this, you signed a contract bs is for sheeple. There is always a way with these sorts of things.

----------

You'd be very surprised what you can get when you do that. I got paid to leave sprint when the first iPhone was because I was such an ass.

----------

You'd be very surprised what you can get when you do that. I got paid to leave sprint when the first iPhone was because I was such an ass.

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

They should NOT be offering you a discounted upgrade before our two year contract is up.

If somehow you are getting a deal on one line, then here is what you should do. Call them back and tell they how stupid they are and you should NOT be getting a discount on the either line.

Duh!

You have a two year contract. Why would they keep giving people subsidized upgrades? Did you fail math and finance in school?

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

So basically you come in here complaining about how your carrier is being lenient with one out of two lines you pay for when they are not obligated to do so in any way, and then when we do not tell you what you want to hear, you determine that we are all homosexuals? Nice.

They determine upgrade times by how much the subsidized device is worth and how much you pay each month and other variables like if you pay on time every month. Be thankful; AT&T contracts are much nicer than the 3 year agreements you have to sign here.

25. GoCubsGo, Oct 6, 2011

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Something tells me we're not the idiots here. ;) You say forget it but I bet you're still whining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.