Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethan Coohill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Denver
first off I want to say I love everything about the new atv4. The interface is great and so is the controller, but why is the box twice the size now?

My old Apple TV fit perfectly under my tv and was barely noticeable. Now this thing is too fat and is honestly unsightly.

Small complaint I know, but after seeing the Roku 4 and the Amazon Fire Tv, I was wondering why they went backwards with form factor 3 years later?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
(There's no way for an iOS device like the new Apple TV to have a platter harddisk drive.)

As above, the thickness is due to the heat sink, but why a heatsink is needed? My iPad Air 2 doesn't get that hot when watching 1080P content... I guess maybe the aluminium body of the iOS devices acts as a heat sink.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
(There's no way for an iOS device like the new Apple TV to have a platter harddisk drive.)

As above, the thickness is due to the heat sink, but why a heatsink is needed? My iPad Air 2 doesn't get that hot when watching 1080P content... I guess maybe the aluminium body of the iOS devices acts as a heat sink.

There's also one thing inside an Apple TV that's not in any iOS device, an ac/dc power transformer. That generates a bit of heat as well. If they had gone with an external power transformer like they do with iOS devices, they could have made it thinner.

Reactions: haruhiko

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
There's also one thing inside an Apple TV that's not in any iOS device, an ac/dc power transformer. That generates a bit of heat as well. If they had gone with an external power transformer like they do with iOS devices, they could have made it thinner.
Thanks! I totally forgot about this.

Reactions: vega07

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014

That's true, but the power transformer was inside Apple TV 3 as well.
The difference between ATV3 and 4 is the heat sink that is quite big this time.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
That's true, but the power transformer was inside Apple TV 3 as well.
The difference between ATV3 and 4 is the heat sink that is quite big this time.

Exactly and the heat sink is so big because the combination of the heat generated from the new power transformer, which is 12V compared to the ATV 3's 3.4V power supply, and the significantly more powerful chipset generates a lot more heat.

Also, in the Apple TV 3, the power supply was placed side by side with the logic board, whereas in the Apple TV 4, it's a stacked design. Which significantly adds to the size of heat sink, as we all know, heat rises, so the more things there are on top of one another the bigger the heat sink needs to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Also, in the Apple TV 3, the power supply was placed side by side with the logic board, whereas in the Apple TV 4, it's a stacked design. Which significantly adds to the size of heat sink, as we all know, heat rises, so the more things there are on top of one another the bigger the heat sink needs to be.

To be honest I preferred the thickness of ATV3.
Since more space is needed for ATV4 I'd have made it wider to keep the power supply on the side and have a thinner ATV, but is not a big deal

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
Certainly, the first time that Jony Ive have allowed a new Apple product to get fatter and not thinner.
After all of those concept designs going around, I was expecting a brand new design! Certainly, they've saved money there. Maybe it doesn't make enough profit for them?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
To be honest I preferred the thickness of ATV3.
Since more space is needed for ATV4 I'd have made it wider to keep the power supply on the side and have a thinner ATV, but is not a big deal

I don't mind to be honest, I don't spend much time looking at it. From where I sit I can't even see it. But I do like a nice design and although I've nothing against the look of the ATV. I was hoping for a new design, maybe next time. Having said that, I love the design inside the box, they've done some very clever little touches that appeal to me, not that we get to see them.

Certainly, the first time that Jony Ive have allowed a new Apple product to get fatter and not thinner.
After all of those concept designs going around, I was expecting a brand new design! Certainly, they've saved money there. Maybe it doesn't make enough profit for them?

That's the trouble with concept designs, they're rarely ever based on any knowledge of the product. Just wishful thinking, I've been disappointed so many times with consoles compared to concept renders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.