Why is bittorrent so slow?

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
im down load a torrent of all of the steve jobs keynotes and it has only downloaded 72.3 MB in 3 hours..........:mad: I have a high speed wireless network in my house........ (and i have the only mac:eek: ) So does anyone know why its going soooooo slow?
 

Rasheem

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2006
149
0
SBik2 said:
im down load a torrent of all of the steve jobs keynotes and it has only downloaded 72.3 MB in 3 hours..........:mad: I have a high speed wireless network in my house........ (and i have the only mac:eek: ) So does anyone know why its going soooooo slow?
try azureus instead it is usually fast also get your torrents from torrentspy.com
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Eidorian said:
What bit torrent client are you using? Most of the better ones outright tell you when your incoming port is blocked.
If im right the client is called BitTorrent(thts the app name at least.) Its telling me 9 days for this download and thats a little bit long for me..
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
If your port wasn't open, you wouldn't be able to upload and that throttles your download speed. So, you need to check what port your torrent client is running, and check that port is open through your firewall (System Preferences/Sharing). I don't know about other clients but Azureus allows you to test that your configured port is open.

Also how many seeders are there? If there's just a couple with slow uploads you won't get a high download speed.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,085
287
Indianapolis
SBik2 said:
If im right the client is called BitTorrent(thts the app name at least.) Its telling me 9 days for this download and thats a little bit long for me..
Yeah the official Bittorrent client is terrible. I haven't used it since at least mid-2003.

Get Azureus and you can even pick up where you left off using it. Do you have a wireless router? Most of those block incoming ports by default.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/NAT_problem
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Eidorian said:
Yeah the official Bittorrent client is terrible. I haven't used it since at least mid-2003.

Get Azureus and you can even pick up where you left off using it. Do you have a wireless router? Most of those block incoming ports by default.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/NAT_problem
Yes i have a wireless router but i really dont think i wanna pay for a bittorrent client.....
The pic is of bittorrent as of 5 mins ago
 

Attachments

OLD ELPASO

macrumors member
May 28, 2005
80
0
you're downloading APPLE?!


ahah, well you could google the ports that you need open... then open them manually via. the whole type-IPadress-into-adressbar-in-safari.

try it.
 

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
3,969
3
SBik2 said:
Yes i have a wireless router but i really dont think i wanna pay for a bittorrent client.....
The pic is of bittorrent as of 5 mins ago
Well, yes, there's only one seed. Your download is pretty much limited to the seed's upload speed with that. You're actually uploading more than you're downloading and I would say your ports are open and your client isn't the problem.

I suggest you look for another torrent to download this, somewhere else.
 

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
435
16
Kirkland, WA
SBik2 said:
Yes i have a wireless router but i really dont think i wanna pay for a bittorrent client.....
Umm... Azureus is free AFAIK unless they have changed it within the last couple of weeks. Its a very good client and works great on most machines (except for my iBook which does lag a bit, but it is old). Plus its cross-platform so if you install it on another comp it will be the same interface.
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Sweetfeld28 said:
You could try this free Beta version this new Torrent app called Xtorrent.

I love this app. It does the searching for torrents for me. But, yes, it is still Beta, and still a little buggy. Good Luck.
It seems better than bittorrent but this is taking a while to connect to the torrent
 

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
1,469
19
Buckeye Country, O-H
Like i said it still has bugs. But, check your settings in the Preferences. The first time i ran it, it was slow too. The i restarted the App, and it ran better the second time around.
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Sweetfeld28 said:
Like i said it still has bugs. But, check your settings in the Preferences. The first time i ran it, it was slow too. The i restarted the App, and it ran better the second time around.
Ya now its going a lot faster thanks this is so far the best bittorrent client ive used today...( ive tried 4)
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
OLD ELPASO said:
you're downloading APPLE?!


ahah, well you could google the ports that you need open... then open them manually via. the whole type-IPadress-into-adressbar-in-safari.

try it.
Yes im downloading apple
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,085
287
Indianapolis
SBik2 said:
Yes i have a wireless router but i really dont think i wanna pay for a bittorrent client.....
The pic is of bittorrent as of 5 mins ago
Pay for an bittorrent client?

Azureus is free and it sounds like you're going to have to open incoming ports on your router.
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Eidorian said:
Pay for an bittorrent client?

Azureus is free and it sounds like you're going to have to open incoming ports on your router.
sry i forgot to post back... i think i misspelled the Azureus and got one that charged me.. but i downloaded the right one but decided to use xtorrent. Azureus was slow... But thank you soo much...
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,085
287
Indianapolis
SBik2 said:
sry i forgot to post back... i think i misspelled the Azureus and got one that charged me.. but i downloaded the right one but decided to use xtorrent. Azureus was slow... But thank you soo much...
Does xTorrent even support DHT? I've tried it before and I still stick with Azureus. BitRocket would be nice if it didn't keep CRASHING.
 

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
735
1
/private/var/root
Eidorian said:
Does xTorrent even support DHT? I've tried it before and I still stick with Azureus. BitRocket would be nice if it didn't keep CRASHING.
What is DHT? Im kinda new to torrents.....
 

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
6,451
3,244
Florida Resident
First, I really wish those were a free download from iTunes. It really is helpful to the newbies with Apple. For example the first iPhoto demo or the first iTunes demo. At least keep the streams up on the site under some archive. I just click on a link and "Boom", it is displaying the keynote to my screen.

Second, my attempt to download said it was going to finish downloading in a year. I'll try some of these suggestions. Thanks.