Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
OK so spec'd up RAM for a Macbook from the apple store (2gb x 2) is $765 from the edu store.

From crucial.com it's $119.99 for the same chips. Why is Apple ripping us off so much? Does changing RAM void warranty?

I know Apple always seeks profit margins... but come on! $645 extra just to get a bit of extra speed..... jesus.

thoughts?

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
Becouse they CAN. And 99% of consmers have no clue that its so overpriced and would not be able to exchange it. Lets face it, how many people know what RAM is and how to install it. Less than 1% for sure

I'm a Mac

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Being serious, maybe someone should write a letter to apple saying that it is "despicable" how they try to take advantage of an uneducated consumer for such a large profit.

P.S. if you think BTO RAM is expensive, go to apple.com and click memory
4GB for $1000

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
OK so spec'd up RAM for a Macbook from the apple store (2gb x 2) is $765 from the edu store.

From crucial.com it's $119.99 for the same chips. Why is Apple ripping us off so much? Does changing RAM void warranty?

I know Apple always seeks profit margins... but come on! $645 extra just to get a bit of extra speed..... jesus.

thoughts?

Who knows? But the Crucial RAM you buy for the Mac Pro is virtually identical to the BTO RAM that Apple uses, right down to the configuration of the heat sinks. Anybody that orders a Mac Pro with more than the minimum amount of built-in RAM is nuts or has money to burn. Installing RAM in a Mac Pro is a 60-second excercise that Apple documents well...right on the lid of the machine, in fact. No, it won't void the machine's warranty.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Being serious, maybe someone should write a letter to apple saying that it is "despicable" how they try to take advantage of an uneducated consumer for such a large profit.

P.S. if you think BTO RAM is expensive, go to apple.com and click memory
4GB for $1000

yeh it really is despicable. I mean, the difference in price is almost as much as a new macbook all together! wtf are they thinking???

Do Dell etc. charge similarly extortionate amounts for BTO RAM?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Because it takes six Apple techs and their department manager to install it.

If that's the case then I'll submit a proposal to Apple to hire me to install their RAM which will end up with Apple realizing an attractive cost savings due to the reduction of 6 head count... :p :cool:

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007

It looks like Dell charges a lot, though still not quite as much as Apple.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    181 KB · Views: 138

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
Becuase Apple Ram actually has the power to open a sub-dimensional gateway in order to facilitate faster than light travel...It will be announced at Macworld as a firmware update. :D

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
It's a pickle to be sure.

Though I'd say it's worth noting that I've never had a problem with Apple RAM. I even bought Apple RAM post-purchase for my Mac Pro because I simply needed the reassurance that it'd handle my mission-critical applications. Sure, it could have gone wrong, but at least I'd have known my enemy.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
It looks like Dell charges a lot, though still not quite as much as Apple.

Thanks. RAM is something that they shouldn't be pushing so expensive. I bet they're trying to create a false price so that their iPods don't look so expensive or something. but an 16gb ipod is less than half the price of 4gbs of ram. how does that work???

It's not fair for people like my parents who wouldn't know much about these things but need to upgrade because the use home-movie importing etc a lot. a gig of ram on the basebook is quite pitiful with leopard. they're sharks.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
It's a pickle to be sure.

Though I'd say it's worth noting that I've never had a problem with Apple RAM. I even bought Apple RAM post-purchase for my Mac Pro because I simply needed the reassurance that it'd handle my mission-critical applications. Sure, it could have gone wrong, but at least I'd have known my enemy.

Never had a problem with Crucial RAM either. bought 6 chips from them over the last 10 years for different machines that are in use everyday. great products, great service.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
yeh it really is despicable. I mean, the difference in price is almost as much as a new macbook all together! wtf are they thinking???

Other vendors do it, both large and small and it can differ from model to model.

They do it because they can, though I think it is more to take advantage of business customers rather than to take advantage of consumers.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
just went over to macsales.com

the 4gb (2 x 2gb) for the above Macbook is $95.

Surely business customers have IT guys who would know that buying RAM separately would save big bucks??? i mean, what kind of business would not consult an IT person before splashing $$$$$$$ on a few spec'd up machines?

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

thoughts?

Just to piss you off, and to make you start a thread on something which has been discussed a lot.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
right. but isn't it about time somebody did something about it?

Like what...? Buy their RAM from somebody else? Like Crucial, or MacSales? I don't understand complaining about something that even a little research and common sense would illuminate.

If it makes you feel better, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. But the prices are readily posted, are comparable to other BTO computer vendors, and there are other RAM purchase options are available.

It's a caveat emptor world out there, so heads up consumers...

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Mydel said:
Becouse they CAN. And 99% of consmers have no clue that its so overpriced and would not be able to exchange it. Lets face it, how many people know what RAM is and how to install it. Less than 1% for sure

this is probably true...the thing is, we know and we know our way around it;)

a friend and i researched this heavily over the last month and we upgraded 2 iMacs and a MacBook to 4Gb ram each for AU$110 each

absolute bargain:eek:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
well, really they're charging you for the convenience of having them put it in your computer......you don't want to pay for that, buy it separately and put it in yourself, it's no big deal......but if you don't want to muck with the insides of your computer then you can pay them to do it for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.