Why is camino so far behind FireFox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ert3, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I was under the impression that Camino was part of the firefox project to provied a mac version of firefox.

So why is it that Firefox is distributed for mac and to that same extent is much more powerful than Camino to the point where I don't see the reason behind using camino.

Is keychain support, addblocking, and apple script enough to keep this fork even alive?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

Camino is not part of the firefox project or even mozilla, the reason it is behind because they have to wait for the source code to be post until they can make an update to their browser.

3. BarryS macrumors newbie

BarryS

Camino is on Mozilla website

I'm puzzled by the claim that Camino is not part of Mozilla. It's on the the Mozilla.org website. I'm very happy with Safari myself, I have FF 3, Camino and Opera downloaded but I only compare them with Safari when I run into a problem with a website. I've never found the problem is resolved by using a browser other than Safari. Camino has an irritatingly small url window. They are all much less aesthetic than Safari and not surprisingly don't look as at home in the OS X environment.

4. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Well I personally disagree about FF3 not looking at home and even if they are limited to waiting for FF code to be released before updating there is no changing the fact that FF code is avail through out all of development.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my understanding is that camino is a small project, the head developer, I think is Josh Aas, who was working on firefox 3 as well, thus probably had little time on camino.

They did put out camino 1.6, and since camino is based on gecko, it should be out soon now fx 3 is out.

PS. there is gecko 1.9 based camino 2.0 alpha on ftp.mozilla.org for testing.

6. esaleris macrumors 6502

One of the compelling reasons for Camino was for better GUI integration with Mac... FF3 seems to do that much better and is, by default, very pleasing to the Mac-based eye. While Camino has it's own strengths, I see FF3 as reducing some of the reason behind going to Camino.

7. okayjustin macrumors member

which one is essentially faster.. does anyone know the FACT? i've been trying to test but it's getting hard for me to tell.nonetheless, i still want to know what other people think.

FIREFOX 3 or CAMINO ?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox 3 is faster.

9. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Sorry to burst your bubble mate...

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/