Why is Carbon Copy Cloner so slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SheerGold, Feb 13, 2008.

1. SheerGold macrumors member

Anyone know why?

Is there an alternative that is faster?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It takes a long time to copy many GB and thousands of files. What are you using it for?

4. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

How much are you backing up and how long is it taking? For a benchmark, SuperDuper can copy about 80GB on my drive in a little less than two hours. That's using Firewire 400. Using USB 2.0 will DEFINITELY be slower.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I have always found CCC to be very fast, especially compared to the Lacie Silverkeeper software I used to use. I admit I've never timed it, but I've done many backups over FW400 and now FW800. I'm no file system guru, but OS X is made up of about three-quarters-of-a-million files and most of them are very small. What takes the time, is not copying the data -- that's incredibly quick. What takes the time is creating a hundred-thousand little 1KB files, and directories, and keeping it all journalled, and updating Spotlight as you go. That's why incremental updates are so much faster -- because 99% of those little system files are not going to change. So basically, don't blame CCC -- blame OS X. :apple: