Why is Chrome missing so many Lion features?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joejoejoe, Oct 13, 2011.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Although Chrome 14 was released a few weeks ago to support native full screen (which is buggy) and two finger swipe, it's still missing a good amount of Lion support which Apple has already provided API's for making them really easy to implement.

Whenever I use Safari, I'm reminded of how new and cutting edge my computer is. When I go back to chrome, I'm immediately bored.

There are no animations to speak of (rubber band scrolling, page swiped with forward and back), no double tap to zoom, no double tap three finger for definitions and wikipedia entries...

I know a lot of you are going to tell me "Just use Safari!", but I really can't live without the true full screen (presentation mode) that chrome provides.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems like you have to make a choice between what you "need" and what you "want." Welcome to the real world.

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I love this forum. 5 minutes and I'm already getting bashed and being given a reality check.

Thank you for adding so much to the discussion!

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When you think about how meaningless your question is, you'll probably understand why you won't get any answers you'll be happy with. It's like asking why Samsung doesn't sell chocolate, or why Fords don't look like Chevys. They just don't.

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

There could be things in google's way. It may be more difficult to implement the API's than I realized. There might be an extension that allows for true full screen in safari. There might be information on when these updates are coming to chrome. Maybe they're already happening in chromium or canary.

These are things people can write about that I can gain something from. There are plenty of possibly helpful answers out there, so that's why I posted.

And it's not like asking why Samsung doesn't sell chocolate. I'm asking why a very popular application from a gigantic corporation isn't updated to match the latest operating system offering from Apple. It would be very strategic, normal and expected of google to update chrome this way. It would be like asking why Chevy's don't have a more connected OBC like Ford's Sync, Toyota's Entune, etc.

Anything else I can clear up?

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Chrome missing features you want? Change Internet browser. Don't post your rants on a forum. That isn't going to make Google support new features any faster.

7. gyorpb macrumors member

Chrome is a port of a multi-platform application. Safari is a Mac-specific Apple application, is central to the Mac OS X experience and serves partly to show how a well-integrated OS X app should look and feel.

8. Mawal macrumors regular

this absolutely on topic...Safari is designed to shine under Mac OS, Chrome is designed to work under Mac OS as well.

I'm happy with Chrome, it is nice, fast and simple.

9. p3ncil macrumors regular

Download the Chrome in the beta channel.
    You'll have your rubber band scrolling and your finger swipes.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

11. trip1ex macrumors 68000

12. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

I have to admit which I am surprised I am pleased with Chrome. Safari just locked up way to often possibly b/c of Flash. The new version of Safari may have fixed some of these issues.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm happy to see full-screen support come to Chrome so quickly. Give it time - like the above said, those features are on the way.

Yes, I am a Chrome user.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Download Chrome Canary. It has rubber-band scrolling and other Lion gestures.

15. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

@mrsir2009 and @p3ncil thanks for being helpful, Canary does have more lion features including the three-finger double-tap for dictionary definitions and wikipedia info, a really useful feature. Appreciate the help!

@miles01110, this is why I posted, I got a helpful answer, as you can see my post wasn't pointless or meaningless after all.

@roadbloc, read my first post before responding, read the forum rules. don't post rants at other users, they don't help anyone and waste everyone's time.

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Perhaps you should be a better writer next time. The only "question" in your post is in the thread title:

The answer to this pointless question is something along the lines of "because Chrome isn't Safari" or "because Google didn't feel like it."

Next time you actually want the question "How can I make Chrome function the way I want it to via a plugin or whatever", perhaps you should say it directly instead of "asking" in a roundabout way.

Certain methods of seeking information are better than others. Next time I'm sure you will take a more direct route that will leave no ambiguity as to what you are looking for.