Why is Chrome so laggy? (Late 2013 retina 13 inch)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by severage, May 4, 2014.

1. severage macrumors regular

8gb ram, 13 inch retina late 2013

Chrome is far less smooth than safari when performing gesture scrolling. Anybody know why/how to fix it/etc? I actually prefer safari, but adblock on safari isn't working well for me currently.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Certain websites lag terribly on the retina. Try installing switchresx and scale to a non-hdpi resolution.
    That will solve that problem.

3. Fynd macrumors 6502

Chrome is the issue. You can load a heavy site like The Verge up on Safari and Chrome side by side. Safari scrolls smoothly while Chrome chugs, regardless of resolution.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is an awful resource hog and runs horribly on OS X.

And besides, Google is always up to no good when it comes to user privacy.

5. psik macrumors 6502

Yes Google is so evil they ate my boxers.

6. walkie macrumors 6502

I think OSX uses a taxing algorithm on the rMBP to stretch and render images, animations, videos and fonts using 4x the amount of pixels, this extra algorithm seems to be the culprit in my opinion because it taxes the GPU, Safari has been optimized to scroll smoothly using said algorithm while Chrome and Firefox are not optimized for such task, so they both lag horribly when scrolling, if you want to use a navigator other than Safari, I recommend using Opera, this navigator seems to be almost as fast as Safari when scrolling.