Why is Crown Up To Wake Series 2 only?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Chupa Chupa, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Anyone have an explanation why this feature is only on the Series 2? Surely it doesn't take more processing (CPU or GPU) power to wake by spinning the crown than it does raising one's wrist.

If it's just to differentiate and give Series 2 and exclusive feature then why isn't Apple advertising it rather than burying it in literature and the settings?

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Hmm, not sure I'd want that feature. Why? If my wrist is in my pocket etc. It might spin the crown by accident and thus power on the screen. Long term killing my battery quicker...

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You mean "Theater mode"?

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Unless the S2 screen has some capability that enables it to be dimly it, it seems like an artificial differentiation between the S2 and other models. It is very cool.

5. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

It actually might take more processing power to get the gradient dim. It could be that they tested on the "series 0" and it was too jittery. BUT- I didn't know my series 2 did this and it's cool so cheers to you!

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Wow i just noticed that if you turn the crown NOT YOUR WRIST you can slowly brighten to current screen and then back down to black. Is this what you are talking about? If so there is no reason it shouldn't be on the other watches.

7. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

I agree that it could possibly be something about the hardware in the new display for Series 2, but it does seem like an artificial difference as was also stated.

Not a big feature for me personally, but hopefully we'll get more info soon on the reasoning.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

+1

Apple calls this Theater Mode, right?

Doesn't anyone read the documentation anymore? I guess not, otherwise MacRumors would lose 90% of its website traffic.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Seems to be "Wake Screen on Crown Up" in My Watch app > General > Wake Screen. Not present on Series 0 either.

10. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

11. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

That's the point of this thread. Why?

12. greenhut macrumors member

Could be artificial limit - been done before, I'd guess it is more likely a hardware difference on being able to detect crown movement in a "sleeping" power efficient way.