Why is Crucial Memory So Cheap Compared To The Others?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cis4life, Dec 6, 2008.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

Hello,

I'll be upgrading my white macbook to 4gb of ram, and did some price shopping and saw that Crucial Memory is only like 59 dollars for the full 4 gb upgrade compared to "apple" memory wish was like $199

Why the differnce in cost, even other non apple memory was alot more than $59. Is Crucial memory low quality or something.

Sorry for such a rookie question, I'm a developer, and don't really deal alot with the actual hardware and keep up with whats in and out with these things.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. mcguidance macrumors member

link to the correct crucial 4 gb RAM? I'd like to add it to the XMas wish list

4. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

Apple really rises the prices of the ram memory, its like sick expensive

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Well I just swopped out a 1gb stick on my 2 year old macbook pro for a 2gb stick from crucial.

And wouldn't you know it, they are exactly the same ram, one just has the crucial sticker on it and the other does not.

So apple ships computers with the chips crucial sells is what I'm saying.

Buy from crucial and enjoy your savings.

6. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Crucial, Kingston, Corsair, and Mushkin are all quality memory.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can do even better buying from trusted vendors like OWC or DMS.

8. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

Well I ordered it. Thanks for the info.

To the poster who wanted a link. I didn't use a link. Crucial has an application that you run on your mac and it gives you the best configuration for your mac and a link is provided for you to buy the memory.

The application showed what I currently have, and how much I can add to it to max it out. I was able to add 4 gigs max to my system. They then provide you with a buy it now link to buy the memory compatible to your system and away you go.

It was actually a great experience.

Thanks for the quick info.

9. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Thats why I like purchasing from Crucial. They're usually the cheapest here in the UK (not in the US though) and the site makes it easy to get the correct RAM for your machine too.

10. rd261 macrumors regular

I bought a 4gb Crucial kit from Fry's for $25 after a $30 mail in rebate. Great performance and awesome price! Don't get screwed by Apple, they can just charge you whatever they want.

11. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd pretty much, never go for the Apple RAM upgrade. It's not economical nine times out of ten.

Plus, there's no real world difference from their RAM compared to cheaper third party solutions.

I'd get it from OWC, I've had great experiences with them.

12. descartes macrumors 6502

crucial is great ram. never had a problem. cheaper because they cant get away with charging as much as apple. some people really like the convenience of buying everything at once and not dealing with the install even if it is a simple operation or just dont care about the extra money.

13. mcguidance macrumors member

14. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

Two reasons. First, as others have noted, Apple has a large markup on RAM. (Though I'm recently seeing that the markup isn't as high if you purchase the RAM as part of a custom configuration). Second, Crucial in particular is the retail division of Micron. Micron is one of the manufacturers of RAM. So Crucial cuts out the middleman, which means more savings for you.

In my personal experience, I have never had problems with Crucial memory when you purchase directly from Crucial and you're buying something that they say is guaranteed to work with your computer. Recently, I've switched to G.Skill, which uses Crucial chips and can be a bit cheaper. G.Skill has a lifetime warranty and can be purchased cheaply from Newegg.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple only sets the price a memory a couple times a year, though they only tend to compete and offer a smoking deal on the newest RAM technology in short supply.

They tend to try to make sure the following periods price fluctuations are well below their price, and don't raise prices too often when they spike above their price.

Plus memory is an Apple profit center, much like cables are profit centers at Best Buy.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

There was an article today about the newest Macs with DDR3 RAM not working well with 3rd party RAM. Apparently, the DDR3 spec is a bit flaky or not everyone has it right yet. The Apple ram works fine.