Why is Data Rescue 3 "reading drives" before starting any "tasks"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HMI, Oct 7, 2012.

1. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I'm trying to recover/transfer data from an old external to a new one.

I purchased/downloaded/installed "Data Rescue 3", did a small update to version 3.2.2 (3317)/64bit.

The bad drive can connect/mount to 10.7.5, and appear in Finder, but trying to navigate the drive in Finder or Terminal causes each of those apps to become unresponsive.

When I open Data Rescue 3, it immediately starts a hours long process of "reading drives" that I can't stop without force quitting the app. All the options to do anything else in the app are grayed out, and not selectable.

I have received up to 15 Drive Failure Warnings.
    The app recommends stoping the "scan" and performing a "clone" to protect the data on the drive before it dies altogether, but I have not even had an option to start a scan yet, because everything is always grayed out.
    I can't stop a "scan" I never started, and I can't navigate in the app to even try to start a "clone".

I used Data Rescue 2 on an old damaged iPod Classic, and it worked wonderfully, but this version seems to look and behave very differently.

I've never seen it try to "read drives" as soon as it detects drives, without me first telling it to start a "scan". This is really weird to me, and I'm not sure if it is now considered "normal" behavior in the new version of Data Rescue 3.

Would someone please confirm if this behavior is "normal", and if you have any similar experiences.

Any suggestions?
    Please share your thoughts.
    Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

It is definitely not normal, I used Data Rescue 3 twice with multiple internal and external HDDs connected and it never took long to read the drives. Maybe the problematic HDD is causing this and you might take another route repairing the partition table using another application, for which I can currently not remember anything else besides gParted.

3. HMI thread starter macrumors 6502a

HMI

Thanks for responding!

Did you ever notice the app initiating a "reading drives" process, even if only for a brief second? Is this something that normally happens in an instant, that I'm just becoming stuck on due to my bad drive?