Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I see the OP's point. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean you have to protect it at all costs. My wife's diamond engagement ring isn't under a bubble. It's out there, being smacked around and scraped on a daily basis.

However, in my own case, I want to preserve the resale value as best as possible, so I don't want it all scratched up. That's really the only reason. Also, when I use my iPad, I spend more time looking at the screen than the back so I don't really care what I have on there.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use my iPad mini with just a Smart Cover and the back is definitely scratched. If these wear and tear marks bother you, I can totally understand why people like back protection on their iPads. Personally, I love the feel of just having a Smart Cover and nothing else, and the scratches on the back don't bother me one bit.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Personally, most of my iPad use is while laying in bed, or relaxing on the couch, i use my folio case solely as a hands-free solution for typing and watching videos.

I love the look and feel of the naked iPad, my case is for convenience

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I just keep a clear back cover and a Smart Cover on mine. Why do I use those? Because I know I'm going to drop it or accidentally scratch it at some point. I like my devices looking pristine so I can sell them later and upgrade.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I find the bare iPad too hard to hold comfortably. If the back was slightly textured so I could get a grip, I might leave it exposed. My case provides a secure grip.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Obviously for protection. Its easier to carry when going out to places. You can use it as a stand when you need to type.

So many reasons....

:rolleyes:

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I'll only cover it up with skins / films because it will still keep the "naked" profile meanwhile adding grip / scratch protection.

The Cover Buddy doesn't add much at all to the naked profile. A lil safety to protect my toy is worth a couple mm extra thichness.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
I have used many cases for my iPad and over time, I have gotten less careful. Went with only a smartcover for awhile which resulted in the first scratching where the Smart Cover comes in contact with the iPad, of course I read to modify the smartcover with some slips of tape etc.

Now using a Zagg Pro Folio+ keyboard case because I got it at BestBuy for $30 instead of the $129. Actually like it.

I always use cases for my electronics (apple anyways) for resale value and I do not visually like scratches or wear and tear on anything that I have.

I am the guy who uses iron covers on his irons and cringes when hearing clubs smack together in someone's bag. Of course, I always make money when I sell my clubs for different ones.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
i keep all my iDevices naked. i keep my iPhone 5 in my front pocket and my iPad mini in my back, well, i do have a smart cover on the iPad. I do this cause i like the look and feel...

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Resale value, grip.. and it's pretty.
When my iPad 4 is old I still want it to look decent so I can get some bucks for it. I usually use a keyboard case, it just so happens that it doubles as a cover.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
I agree with the original poster. I know a guy that bought a heavy duty case and an over the shoulder bag to carry his iPad. The darn thing is just as cumbersome as a typical laptop to haul around.

I don't see the point in going to that type of extreme.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
I use a smartcase so I can throw it in my bag without even thinking about what else is in there.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I agree with the original poster. I know a guy that bought a heavy duty case and an over the shoulder bag to carry his iPad. The darn thing is just as cumbersome as a typical laptop to haul around.

I don't see the point in going to that type of extreme.

None of that is what the OP said..

digglesworth

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
I got my first iPad yesterday and I have to say I didn't want to hold it until I got a case and screen protector for it. I don't want my rings to scratch the back up or the screen. Admittedly I only wear two rings. One is a silver ring and the other is my tungsten carbide wedding band. I also want to keep it in great shape so I can sell it later on to get my next iPad. I want to keep everything I own in the condition it was in the day I bought it.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
It's not that I don't like the feel of a naked iPad (oooo, kinky), but I just don't want the darn thing scratched or chipped. I'm so clumsy sometimes that I will invariably drop my iDevices. So, why not just put on a Smart Cover and something nice, clear and thin for the back. I just got the Caudabe mini shell for my mini and I can barely even tell it's there. For the relatively minor cost, I don't see why not.

Now screen protectors - that's another story. I've gone without a screen protector on my iPads for a while now and couldn't go back. I just don't feel a need with the Smart Cover.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I can't see using my iPad regularly outside a case. The iPad is easier to hold (albeit heavier) in the case. The case protects the iPad from scratches. And, my iPad has handled a couple of falls in the case. Plus, I like the hot pink color of the case. :D

After a year, my iPad 3 still looks new. And, I'd like it to stay that way regardless of whether I eventually sell it or gift it to a family member. Heck, as I use it, I'm happy that looks so great.

I consider my iPad LTE a major purchase. From my POV, it's common sense to protect it.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I got my first iPad yesterday and I have to say I didn't want to hold it until I got a case and screen protector for it. I don't want my rings to scratch the back up or the screen. Admittedly I only wear two rings. One is a silver ring and the other is my tungsten carbide wedding band. I also want to keep it in great shape so I can sell it later on to get my next iPad. I want to keep everything I own in the condition it was in the day I bought it.

When I bought my iPad 4 I didn't have a case for it either and so I just left it in its box until I found something I liked.

I also didn't want my ring to scratch it. My ring is a titanium ring. They told me it doesn't scratch, but it does. I also have a gold necklace that I never wear because it makes me look pimpish. But my titanium ring is my wedding band, so it's important to me even though it scratches easily. And I also have a pair of glasses that I like and wear when I'm sick of contact lenses. And I also have a watch that charges using the sun and doesn’t have a removable battery, and it’s silver-looking but I don’t think it’s real silver because it’s too light to be real silver.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I love the look of a naked iPad but I also don't want mine scuffed or scratched up. I do have a case that I generally carry it in. Since, the iPad is always with me, it has become part of me, I want it protected.

dwaynewilliams

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2013
I put cases on all of my devices. I have a Griffin Survivor case on my iPhone 5 and a case on my iPad. I have small kids and they always handle my things. Cases is the only protection I have against them. I like the peace of mind as well. To be able to drop your iPad or iPhone and not worry that you will have to cough up hundreds of dollars to repair it is worth getting the case. Plus the cases make it easier to hold.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
I really can't understand why people cover up their iPads with all kinds of things. I love the design and feel of the aluminium back and would never like to cover it up as I think that kind of destroys the feel of it.

I've got a smart cover to prop it up with and im getting a nice wool sleeve for when ill put the iPad in a bag with other stuff for a longer time like when I travel.

Can anyone explain exactly why you want to cover every inch if the iPad with plastic, leather or whatever.

Same thing as why do you wear clothes. You need to protect your assets. You don't want to get scratched up and all and exposed yourself to the elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.