Why is everyone freaking out about the iPhone 4S RAM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docgerrard, Oct 9, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

Is it even confirmed to be 512? weren't there similar rumors going around last year with the 4 only having 256?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. SpookyMulder macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

People are freaking out about the RAM?

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Because it gives them something to complain about this week?

And I recall the 256 rumor mill being strong for the 4 last year.

5. aibo82 macrumors 6502

If it is 512 I'll be angry! Not for the iPhone...

Apple could of so added Siri for the iPad 2 users I think it's a joke it's not been added!

6. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

cuz theyre like "oh gawd, well android phones has 1gig and iphone duznt i r sad panda QQ"

7. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess there was a huge topic on it plus in another topic i saw some people upset about it

i should have made this a poll

from now on.. post what you think the ram will be.

i think it will be 1gb

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

More RAM = faster animations and less processing time required.

Infinity Blade dev:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/05/iphone-4s-512mb-ram-specs/

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Some people, yes. Everyone, no. I know hyberbole is enticing. I engage in it frequently. I do however try to catch myself....

10. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Nonsense. More RAM = shorter battery life.

The only time more RAM makes anything faster is when you need to re-load something from flash storage, over the network, or recompute something you didn't have room to keep around. So in gaming terms it usually amounts to more texture variety, more expansive levels, a larger variety of enemy types, or a larger numbers of scripted animations.

It has nothing to do with how fast you can render a given scene.

11. szolr macrumors 6502

Well I'd like to bring up a few points here. First, take a look at this. Siri Note the "Beta" quite clearly stamped at the top of the page. That implies Apple are testing it. They release the beta as part of iOS 5. Oh look! iPhone 4S debuts on the same day with iOS 5 preinstalled. It makes sense that the iPhone, with more users, is the guinea pig.

Also, bear in mind iOS 4 didn't come to iPad. iOS 4.2 came to iPad. Notice how iPad users tend to have to wait before getting the latest enhancements...

If you're really that bitter about it though, I have one very simple solution. There's already sites around on the net going through the steps of jail breaking older devices to run Siri. Make use of one of them. :rolleyes:

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It is about matching specks with Android or whatever other phone gets the Geek lust going.

Though Geeks are "supposed" to know that the necessity for RAM is dependent on the architecture of the platform.

I've had PCs before and I've got Macs and my Macs always did a better job with less RAM than my PC. The mobile phone arena is just the mobile version of this paradigm.

When you apply Occam's Razor to this it's pretty clear. Android is an open platform so it cannot make assumptions about the hardware that it's running. When you can make assumptions you must over-engineer.

So that, a nutshell, is why you get more RAM and processing speed. With Apple they know every single component that they're using and pipelines involved so they tailor everything to run within a certain envelope.

Look at the iPad 2 competitors. There are plenty that have a 1GB of RAM and they still are slower than the iPad 2.

When you make the hardware and software you should be able to do more with less.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

Explain the iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3G. They couldn't have home screen wallpapers, due in part to the RAM and processor speed not being able to support them, which is was why animations were choppy on a jailbroken device that wasn't meant to support home screen wallpapers.

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Apple should send a questionnaire to anyone that Pre-ordered with basic questions like:

1. Do you like the design of the 4s? Y/N
    2. Do you know what RAM is? Y/N
    3. Do you know what a dual-core processor is?
    Etc...

You would f ind that an overwhelming majority of buyers don't care. They just wanted a cool iPhone.

15. szolr macrumors 6502

Agreed. Sounds like you were confusing the processor with the RAM. The A5 chips is faster than the A4 and it's dual core. That will give you better speed on the device.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Exactly.

17. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I guess we won't know 100% for sure for another week or so.

I'm not worried about it. If they kept it at 512, they did in knowing it was plenty enough to do everything that needs to be done. Apple would not realize a new phone that could not properly execute the new iOS. I'm sure iOS 5 will run slow on the 4 and slower on the 3Gs but I'm positive the 4s has what it needs to ensure iOS 5 is snappy.

Basically, if the iPad 2 only has 512 (and let's face it, iPad 2 handles tasks like a beast) then I'm not worried about the 4s.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

No. iOS 5 GM is not choppy at all on an iPhone 4. It's pretty much the same performance as iOS 4.3.

Also, iOS 5 GM is very snappy on an iPad 2. The Safari I guess has been re-written and utitlised the upgraded graphics capability of the iPad 2 so page rendering is at least 1-2 times faster than iOS 4.3.

20. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

lmao best post

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Yeah I'm using iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 at the moment. I meant "slow" as a comparison to how it will (I suspect) run on a iPhone 4s.