Why is everyone going on about a front facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JDee, Apr 25, 2010.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Seriously - there's only like 0.0007% of mobile phone users that actually use a front facing camera if there is one on the phone.

Fine, if Apple add a chat app like BBM, it'd be cool but I think it'd be very pointless just adding a front facing camera chat app. And with all the complaints about AT&T's service I've been receiving, I doubt it would be the best thing in the world.

I know that when Apple does something they do it right, but this isn't really something that the majority of us need. Cut, copy and paste, sure. BlackBerry done it awfully, Apple done it right. We use it because it's useful.

Your opinions and ideas please.

2. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Apple is good at making unpopular features very popular....I see that being the case with video chatting.

If it can work via iChat and allow you to make videocalls to other iPhones and macbooks then i see it really taking off.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Completely agree.. I use video chat on my MBP quite often. I see me using it a lot on my iPhone, especially when I'm traveling.

4. Anastacio macrumors regular

I would welcome a front facing camera.
    It worked really well here in Denmark on Nokia phones last year.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op your figures are way off. Just off the top of my head I could list a few dozen people I personally know that use videochat to keep in touch with friends and relatives not to mention loved ones fighting the war.

Just because you don't use something dosnt mean others won't! Skype and basic videochat have been something of the norm for years. Apple didn't include it because they like you didn't see a need for it. Times change though and to offer the next big upgrade they have to include it this time.

I can see the next revision of the ipad offering a cam aswell mainly due to bad press.

6. madhurdutta macrumors newbie

I don't think it would make, incredible difference. But I would use a front facing camera, mainly for Video-Chats. It will be way more convenient to talk to someone ( GF, Wife, Kids etc) without having to carry a heavy laptop or sit awkwardly in front of a desk. It would be way easier to just carry a small phone and walk about? Wouldn't it?

7. Sulwyn macrumors member

Someone posted here before that the front facing camera would be extremely helpful to deaf people who use lip reading and/ or sign language to communicate. So yes I think the front facing camera would be an extremely good feature to have. I might not use it personally but so many disabled people will benefit from it's addition to the iphone.

8. angevil macrumors regular

If you don`t use it, doesn`t mean other people won`t use it. I also don`t use some of the features like bluetooth, but I am not complaining why it is there. People will use the front facing cam. It can be used in many ways: video chat, taking pics of yourself, head tracking for games, live video streaming of yourself while being able to have feedback and communicate back, mirror..

Why are you even talking about AT&T? You know, there ARE other countries on this planet besides USA. :rolleyes:

And it doesn`t even have to be video chat via mobile network, I will be happy if it is enabled via wi-fi for iChat and Skype!

9. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

You do know the apostrophe key is to the right ;/: key don't you? I hope you haven't been using that on all you're essays or write-ups in the real world.

In regards to the front-facing camera, I think it's an incredible idea. A couple posts above explained children or adults with hearing disabilities would greatly benefit in communication department. I think it's a great idea and Apple will blow us away with it.

10. angevil macrumors regular

Oops. Thanks for that :D I did use it often on the internet. I got an UK keyboard and since that have been using this wrong apostrophe. Is this one fine? ″don′t″ It is still different than yours..hmm..can you help me more? Are UK and US apostrophes different? Yours seems to be more vertical.

11. lyons238 macrumors 6502

now your going on about the front facing camera. why do you care if people go on about the front facing camera. if u dont like it then dont use it or talk about it. its pretty simple.

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

source?

13. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just think, if your iPhone got stolen you could see who has it.

15. calvy macrumors 65816

Plus I'd venture to say that all of these AT&T complaints you are hearing come from about 10% of the iPhone user base, who all hated AT&T before they bought the phone, but came over anyway because they like to lick the sweat from Steve Job's balls.

16. troop231 macrumors 603

Not really, someone smart would put a piece of electrical tape over it haha :p

17. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

I'd say the hoopla about it is 85% monkey hear monkey repeat.

18. shandyman Suspended

i'd love a front facing camera, as i have friends in different part of the country and world that, now and that, i would enjoy a video chat with, good to see and hear friends/family rather than only voice or text chatting with.

19. NBarnes21 macrumors member

That's one of the features I've been hoping would come out since the 1st one was released, I would love to be able to video chat with my wife while traveling

20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

if Apple and ATT can get the front facing video chat working correctly without problems...iChat and Skype will be big

21. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I see it being useful for people who live far away from each other. For example, right now I wouldn't go on a video chat with my parents; however, i may be going to Spain for 3 months January and I can see myself video chatting with my family and friends for that time period.

22. bks691 macrumors regular

ATT has had video chat working for years. Apple will do it right and bring it to a new level ;)

23. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure the front facing camera is for things like Skype

24. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Girls can use the front facing camera as a mirror too, wonder if the resolution will be high enough though.

25. jordand321 macrumors member

The only time I ever used my front facing camera was as a mirror :D