why is everyone saying the new macbooks are more expensive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rywat, Oct 21, 2008.

1. rywat macrumors member

prior to the release of the most recent macbooks, there were 3 macbook models available, $1099, $1299, and $1499.

now there are 3 models available, $999, $1299, and $1599. the lower end is cheaper by $100, and the higher end is more expensive by the same amount.

if you were planning on buying the $1299 model, there is no change in price (and you get an arguably better computer). if you were planning on buying the lower end, it is cheaper. only if you were planning on buying the highest end macbook would it be more expensive.

anyway. was anyone really buying the $1099 model before? i mean, for $200 more you got a vastly improved computer (superdrive, faster cpu, larger HDD, etc). i think most people before were buying the $1299 model, unless they really wanted the black of course.

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

the 999 model doesnt really count because its not one of the revised models. the higher end model is more expensive by $100 hence the reason why people are saying its more expensive... you pretty much answered your own question :confused: i dont get your argument

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When people say the new Macbooks are more expensive, they're talking about the NEW Macbooks. Yes, the lowest-end is $999, but it's not the new model. The higher-end Macbook is more expensive.

bigjnyc, you beat me to it!

4. adit macrumors member

In the Uk they are definately more expensive:

Old Prices:
    £699, £829 (I think) and £949

New Prices:
    £719, £949 and £1149

5. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I'm guessing that people call the new Macbooks more expensive, because of their specs. They are saying that the base model (1299) has a 2.0GHz processor while the one that used to take his place had a 2.4GHz. Just because of the processor doesn't mean that it's more expensive. Intel does sell some processors with lower GHz for more. Plus both of the models carry DDR3 which is more expensive than DDR2. The 1599 is really the only argument that is legit, but other than that. They are not more expensive.

6. wesleyJ macrumors member

Furthermore, prior to this new release, $1299 would net you a 2.4ghz processor. This is not the case anymore.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

As others have said, the $999 model doesn't count as a "new" model. That means that the cheapest "new" MB is now $1299 vs. the old $1099. Yes it has more features (with 2 notable exceptions), but it is still $200 more expensive than what you could get last week (for a current model). So yes, the new Macbooks are more expensive for anyone looking to buy the entry level MB.