Why is everyone so convinced about the rumours today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Herp Derp, May 15, 2012.

1. Herp Derp macrumors newbie

Hey guys, pretty exciting MBP rumours today but I don't understand why everyone is basically taking this rumour as if Apple themselves said it? The article basically agreed with 9to5 Mac. Trust me I hope this is true (Except if they take away the Ethernet Port....) but I just don't see why everyone is taking this as fact :confused:. Just wanna know why, (Are they reputable? Good source?) thanks.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. simsaladimbamba

Which rumour(s)?

As I am ignorant of the topic, I am not convinced yet, but I can be, if someone sends me spinach for my cat.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

All I know is that the geek bench results leaked out from the 3820qm 2.7ghz i7 is only 5% faster than my 17" with the 2820qm. I am completely satisfied.

Plus, the rumors for the removal of the optical drive and thinning the machine out, probably means they move the HD/SSD to the optical drive location, and stretch the battery out along the entire bottom side to compensate.

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I think its when bigger news sites like Bloomberg start to report on the rumours in their TV broadcasts, like in this video.

6. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I think Alot of people (and myself) are convinced because of the Bloomberg report. Not sure about their "track record", but I don't think they are making things up to get traffic on their site.

7. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

Bloomberg, as mentioned, plus the fact that one article mentioned that Apple sometimes does controlled releases of info to make it public without doing anything official.

8. Mavrack, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

All they did was confirm the report from 9to5 Mac. Still though (Exciting).

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Confirmation in a short period of time from multiple, independent sources.

9to5 Mac, Bloomberg, ABC, and The Verge all claim to have their own sources for their information and they all seem to line up with each other.

9to5 has a pretty good track record when reporting things directly from their sources (rather than summarizing the Digitimes report of the week). They were the first with the information that Apple was going to move to machined aluminum unibodies for the Macbook Pro line back in 2008.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

+1

I usually listen if WSJ and Bloomberg chip in. Even more so if All Things Digital or The Loop chime in. Apple seems to have their blessed sources for "controlled" leaks.

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I assume you are talking about the Bloomberg rumor?

1. It's from a website that doesn't usually embark in rumor mongering
    2. The sources are independent (at least that's how I read the Bloomberg and 9to5 reports)
    3. A new MBP 9.1 showed up in geekbench a few days ago
    4. WWDC would be a good opportunity to announce a new MBP, and is coming up in 4 weeks
    5. Most competitors have announced new Ivy Bridge based laptops shipping in June

I wouldn't bet on any hardware specs or designs that are being brought up, but the timing is very reasonable. At this point I would be surprised if the new models don't come in June, with or without WWDC announcement.

12. maswriter macrumors member

maswriter

I think it's because Apple works so hard to keep product releases secret that people just love guessing what they're coming out with next (especially when they leave prototypes in bars). :)

13. colour macrumors regular

a lot of this looks very controlled ala apple PR had something to do with it somewhere

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

According to the leaked results the 3820QM is 12252; I've run a couple tests and I can get around 9580 with the 2820QM, which makes the increase 28%! (Make sure you run the tests in 32-bit mode as well)

15. underblu, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

underblu macrumors regular

It seems your results are on the low side. Here is a typical early 11" MBP with a 2720QM running in 32 bit mode. The increase here is only about 20%
    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/676922

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/676853. Here's is a late 11" MBP in 32 bit mode and the performance increase of the new MBP is about 10%. This is typical to what I've seen. My early 2.2 11" MBP stock runs n the high 10s in 32 bit and high 12s in 64 bit. Maybe you had other processes going when u ran GB

16. lamboman macrumors 6502

It only takes one site to say something as if it is fact, without any convincing evidence nor any clarity on where they got their "information" for other sites to report on it, and for something to become a rumour.

In the case of the big news sites, all they have done is taken all of the old rumours and combined them together because it is appropriate to report on Apple with WWDC just round the corner.

17. Duckypoos macrumors member

When your flock grow weary and thirsty you offer up a moment of rest and a small sip of water.

You do not allow them any longer to rest than is absolutely necessary, nor do you allow them their fill of water !!

Otherwise, your flock grows restless, and seek out their needs/desires elsewhere ... It's how the human condition remains under control, and how it's been done throughout the ages :D

18. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Exactly. This is why many people seem to be giving it weight.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Hmmm

Tell us moar plz

20. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I scored a 11.65k with 64bit and 11.1k in 32 bit. Understand I am running 1866mhz Hyper X and it does help improve the score.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe my computer is a slow POS. Oh well!

I was running Geekbench 2.2.6; it's possible the results will be higher if I try again with the latest version (2.3.1)

22. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Imagine how much anger there will be here if the rumours turn out to be false.

23. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Well I mean they are just "rumors".
    We are never sure yet fun to talk about.