Why is everyone so harsh on the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikhailov, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I personally thought the 4S was a reasonable upgrade. I'm looking at comments and forum posts, and people are screaming their disgust throughout the world. I've played with bigger screen phones before, and found them impossible to operate one handed, where I've held my iPhone 4 in the most awkward of positions while laying down, and have had no problem operating it.

The design is popular, and the internals are vastly upgraded, so I don't get why so many people are screaming that this is a ridiculous move and are saying they're going to screw Apple and jump to Android. Is it because they believed the rumors and they didn't come true?

Not trying to stir up trouble, just curious as to the cause of all the anger.

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

A lot of people were hoping for a bigger screen. I personally wanted a bigger screen but I'm still very happy with it and think it's a great phone and will be getting one.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes, definitely.

Personally, I think it's a great update to the already great iPhone 4. This will be my first iPhone, and I already liked the iPhone 4 design. So with the spec upgrades, I'm happy.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Glad it is not everyone. I am looking forward to getting mine the day they are released.

Most are upset because they got all whipped up into the iPhone 5 frenzy and were then let down. No ones fault except their own!

Now we know how Apple was able to keep the iPhone 5 such a secret!!!:p

5. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I think it is because you shouldn't have to wait 15 months for a camera and processor upgrade.

6. ieko macrumors member

I think the reality is, you waited 15 months for software.

I'll be grabbing a iPhone 4S myself, I haven't had an iPhone since the 3G.

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

True but you still get a much better camera, 1080p video recording, dual core processor, much better graphics and to top it of ios5. I think it's a major upgrade and not a minor spec bump. I do think the delay was because of the software and not the hardware.

8. Surrylic macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I played with my friends EVO (I think) and I really liked the larger screen. Really made me want a larger screen on my phone, because while it made me love the size of it's screen... His EVO also made me realize I don't really like Android's OS.

So I was disappointed because half an inch of screen makes a great difference in web pages and games, but I'm really stoked about everything else. iP4 is the best designed phone ever IMO, so I'm still happy with it. I'll be buying one.

9. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I thought a bigger screen was great until I tried an Android phone with a bigger screen. I found myself enjoying the 3.5" screen simply because it's easier to type and manipulate one handed.

I'm glad there are people who feel the same way I do regarding the 4S.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Personally, if I were on a budget that I wasn't really needing to watch my expenses, I'd probably consider it a good upgrade even though my contract isn't up (I got the iphone 4 the day it came out).

I'm still considering it when it is. Cause I'm not sure I'm going to want the 5 (I am betting the next iphone will have 4G which I don't want cause i don't want to lose my unlimited and if Apple keeps going by the trend it goes, it won't have a significant processor upgrade so if it is just as fast as the 4S it won't make up for the loss of my unlimited plan. Even worse if they increase the phone size).

And I really do love the form of my 4 but then, I loved the form of my 3G until I had the 4 so I know i probably should wait til the 5 to decide which form I like better. But, I don't think I was so married to the 3G's form as I am to the 4's form (I thought the 3G was nice but I was open that there might be something better. I'm less open to what they could do better than they did with the 4 honestly. And if they go with that rumored tapered design I am pretty sure I like the 4's form better).

11. solo118 macrumors 65816

Everyone wanted a totally new design, but to me its not a big deal. If Apple put these 4S specs into a brand new design the world would be raving from here till tomorrow.

Its not a huge dealbreaker as most Apple users want the latest and greatest, so you can expect Apple to sell tons of these.

I just dislike the home button, and the glass rear as it shatters easily. Other than that I have no problem upgrading as it doesnt cost much due to the fact I can just sell my current iphone 4 to make up for a large portion of the price.

12. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I agree it was the extra wait and we did not get a redesign.
    If they had the same internals but a new design everyone would have been happy.

13. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I pretty much think those people are idiots. The internal upgrades (speed, universal phone, etc) are all fantastic. Apple is smart. They spent time engineering a super badass universal phone. A stupid company would have said "screw the internals, let's make it different looking on the outside." Apple did the opposite. Who cares that it doesn't look different? It's still the best looking tech device on the planet.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Why is everyone so harsh on the iPhone 4S?

Here's my take.

Apple has done a wonderful job of marketing and sales in addition to building very good products.

The problem lies in their tendency to exagerate or overly hype the product.

Therefore they have set customers expecations very high, to levels far higher than that of any other company.

So when Apple fails to "Wow" people with every single release, the people are let down.

While Apple does not do this on purpose, it is a by product of their style of marketing.

15. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Really? - move over to Android; you'll get your precious higher GHz number every 6 months and even more fragmentation and application stratification too! 'Cuz we all know a higher number MUST mean better right?

I'm glad you noobs are 'hatin' on the 4Sport. More of them for me come launch day :) :apple:

16. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I kept getting tempted by the huge screens of Android phones so I trying out the 4.5 inch Infuse 4g right now and I gotta say I'm not sure if I really like that big of a screen either. I like being able to use my phone one handed and with the 4.5 inch screen its just too big for one handed use so its going back to BB tonight in order to pre-order the 4s...

17. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's precisely the opposite of what actually happens. Prior to the product introductions, Apple has a tendency NOT to exaggerate or overly hype the product. In fact they don't say anything.

Then the media and internet forums(fora?) go nuts trying to find out what's happening within Apple, and as rumors tend to be, things get out of control and blown up. Internet forum users set their own expectation very high according to all sorts of wild rumors, even though Apple hasn't said a word.

Then the actual product is announced, Apple boasts and hypes the product, people get disappointed and loudly proclaim Apple is dead and Apple will be victim of its own hype, forgetting that Apple didn't even say anything about the product; People let themselves down.

The Apple stock price falls. Media write how Apple has fallen from the grace and it's finally over as with internet blogs and forums. Then Apple laughs all the way to the bank by selling more products.

Rinse and repeat. Happened every time since the first iMac. Not that it's a guarantee of what's to come, but to think the iPhone 4S launch is much different from prior products' is short sighted. And Apple definitely didn't hype it.

18. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

hope you guys know that going from A4 chip to A5 chip makes little to no difference at all (which has been proven on the ipad 1 to ipad 2). If you've all fell into the apple hype than this will also be a major disappointment for you guys. Basically they spent 15 months to add a slightly better camera feature on the iphone 4, that's about it. And added more storage space which they should've already had on the last go around.

19. vahighland macrumors member

Plus an option for 64GB storage. That's huge. How many other phones have a 64GB capacity?

20. rayward macrumors 68000

Type? TYPE?

Just dictate your prose to Siri! :)

21. yliu macrumors regular

I was disappointed first when the iPhone 5 wan't released. But apple didn't say at all that they will be releasing a the iPhone 5.

If I remember correctly the reaction to the 3GS wasn't nearly this bad. In my opinion people react so harshly because they are worried of the future of the company, and if there will be an iPhone 5 at all.

22. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I don't get it either. Redesigned Nano = fail, Redesigned iPhone = win?