Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I am on the BETA program. Within the past few updates to AW (series 0, 42mm), my Exercise has been quite generous. I can be walking around in office and it would (suddenly) count as exercise...while in the past, this was not the case unless you use the Workout App.

Why is this changing? Is it because i am so out of shape that just by walking around, my heartbeat is high enough to count as exercise?! LOL

Reactions: BeefCake 15

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
I am on the BETA program. Within the past few updates to AW (series 0, 42mm), my Exercise has been quite generous. I can be walking around in office and it would (suddenly) count as exercise...while in the past, this was not the case unless you use the Workout App.

Why is this changing? Is it because i am so out of shape that just by walking around, my heartbeat is high enough to count as exercise?! LOL
Key thing would be your on the Beta Program. might be a bug, so worth reporting the change as you see it. The Beta program is designed to test new features and they might of messed up the exercise calculation. You should always take anything in the Beta as unfinished and not how it will be when it is released to everyone

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015

It would make sense if they count all movement as exercise, the idea of exercise is to burn calories... Otherwise, your last assumption might be true for a lot of us :)

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
It would make sense if they count all movement as exercise, the idea of exercise is to burn calories... Otherwise, your last assumption might be true for a lot of us :)

Hey, it DOES make me feel good that i am able to close the circle everyday! Maybe that is subconscious way to encourage me to move a little more.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Mine's the exact opposite! I've been wearing my watch all day and the exercise is still at 0! Granted, I didn't exercise today... but I usually still get a good amount of "exercise" according to my watch on most days. But zero today!

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Mine's the exact opposite! I've been wearing my watch all day and the exercise is still at 0! Granted, I didn't exercise today... but I usually still get a good amount of "exercise" according to my watch on most days. But zero today!

Split my and your experiences and we have the perfect watch....

Reactions: kevo0822

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Mine is much like yours. Had to shovel snow twice yesterday, at both my house and my mother's house (she is 75) and also had to knock snow off all the trees, so the branches wouldn't break. Man, snow was fairly deep, wet and heavy as those spring snows often are and I am huffing and come back sweaty and have to strip all the layers off and look at my watch expecting to see some progress. Nope. Shows like 10 mins of exercise for a job that took a couple hours.

Maybe I should have set a weightlifting or "other" workout in order to count for the shoveling vs steps?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

The walking counts from the beginning, since OS 1. (My.. how that feel old even though it's just a couple of years ago)
It's not all counts toward exercise though. It's up to your heartbeat like you said. I'm in an opposite camp. Most of my walking used to count toward exercise but now it seems I'm fitter because it counts less than half on the same walk.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
The walking counts from the beginning, since OS 1. (My.. how that feel old even though it's just a couple of years ago)
It's not all counts toward exercise though. It's up to your heartbeat like you said. I'm in an opposite camp. Most of my walking used to count toward exercise but now it seems I'm fitter because it counts less than half on the same walk.

Geez thanks for calling me a couch potato! Lol

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Just so you both know, heart rate does not contribute to "exercise" unless you are running a workout. When not using the workout app, accelerometer is the only thing that counts exercise. If it determines you are moving at around 3MPH for 60 seconds, via arm swing (accelerometer), it will count as an exercise minute. Heart rate is only taken once every 5-10 minutes while still if workout is not running, so that can't be a factor in non-workout app exercise.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204517

"Every full minute of movement that equals or exceeds the intensity of a brisk walk counts toward your daily Exercise and Move goals. For wheelchair users, this is measured in brisk pushes. Any activity below this level counts only toward your daily Move goal.

Make sure that you earn Exercise credit during walks by allowing the arm with your Apple Watch to swing naturally. For example, while walking your pet, let the arm with your watch swing freely while the other holds the leash.

If you need both hands while walking, for example to push a stroller, you can still earn Exercise credit by using the Workout app. The Activity app relies on arm motion and an accelerometer to track movement, but the Workout app can use the accelerometer, a heart rate sensor, and the GPS on your iPhone if you carry it with you. Open the Workout app on your Apple Watch, tap Outdoor Walk, and bring your iPhone on the walk."
[doublepost=1495293634][/doublepost]

I totally forgot to give you a suggestion during my explanation post.

So its possible the beta tweaked you calibration data, and if thats the case, it thinks your stride has changed and its giving you exercise credit too easily. You could always reset the calibration data. Watch -> Privacy -> Health/Fitness. Then go for a 20 minute walk outdoors to re-calibrate. This might resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thai

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Mine is much like yours. Had to shovel snow twice yesterday, at both my house and my mother's house (she is 75) and also had to knock snow off all the trees, so the branches wouldn't break. Man, snow was fairly deep, wet and heavy as those spring snows often are and I am huffing and come back sweaty and have to strip all the layers off and look at my watch expecting to see some progress. Nope. Shows like 10 mins of exercise for a job that took a couple hours.

Maybe I should have set a weightlifting or "other" workout in order to count for the shoveling vs steps?
same, I've busted my ass before with my watch on and just because I wasn't explicitly walking I received no points

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.