Why is FaceTime Audio So much clearer than regular voice call?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

I don't even like calling regularly anymore lol. FT audio is just way better, why is this? I hate calling people that have an android phone.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

FaceTime uses your data connection and is able to use a better codec than the telephone company does.

Or something along those lines.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

About 3 years after the switch from analog to digital cell phone popularity outstripped data carrying capacity so the carriers instead of adding capacity switched to half duplex and rewrote the codecs to use about 1/4 the data on all new phones. And phones have sounded like crap ever since. Now they have capacity again so the codecs are being rewritten again... They call it "HD voice" and phones with this are starting to approach 1999 cell quality again. Not quite though because they're still using garbage microphones in most phones.

4. iOSaddict macrumors regular

or people without iMessage :cool:

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

My personal experience right now is I have an Galaxy S3 on Verizon and a iPhone 4S on AT&T and the call quality is much better on my iPhone, but I think it might be because of AT&T and not really the phone. I could be wrong, but this is my 3rd phone on verizon, and have had several on AT&T and it seems to be the trend.