Why is flash handling subpar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, Apr 21, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I was just at this BlackBerry site and my CPU percentage jumped to a range of 54-49% and fans started kicking in. Windows fares better. By the way this is a Core 2 Duo notebook. I kept thinking to myself.."i wonder how a G4 would fare".

Why does it take so many CPU cycles, is flash handling just not great in OS X?

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I have a dual 500 Mhz G4 PowerMac and I just went to your Blackberry Pearl site. My CPU percentage jumped as high as 94%.

3. Echoes macrumors newbie

Flash on Mac OS X is a joke. Nothing beats a slow computer for pointing out poorly written code. In my case, a B&W G3 @ 400 MHz / original Radeon. The Blackberry Pearl site makes my old G3 sluggish and unresponsive. The flash animation performed not more than 3 frames per second. Closing the browser window took as much as 8 seconds.

By comparison, my old Pentium II/350/GEForce2MX200 performs A LOT better on the same site.

Flash on Mac OS X is slug on valium.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Does your CPU do that with every flash page you visit or just the BlackBerry site? If it doesn't jump that high with every flash site you visit, I'm going to lay the blame partly on the Blackberry site's flash.

I'd still submit this to the WebKit team, though, so they can take a look at what's causing the slowdown and fix it.

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I notice flash is pretty crappy too. Safari sometimes even crashes because of flash pages. It's really annoying

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Weren't webkit nightlies recently improved to deliver better Flash performance? I thought I read something like that.

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

On my iBook 1,33 G4 it's between 65-75 % CPU, which is not great. And using the latest Webkit. It's around the same with the latest Camino-nightly.

That said, the animation on the BB-site looks pretty fancy, maybe some rendering being done, etc.? So I wouldn't want to generalise this for all flash.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

The pearl site may be OTT but even Youtube or CNet videos make my percentage jump to around 30%..maybe 20% on a good day.

9. bartelby macrumors Core

10. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I just went to the site on my P4 3.4 GHz running Windows 2000 and Firefox browser. Hyperthreading turned on.
    I get about 45%, which would I think translate to about 90% with hyperthreading turned off.

So ... it looks cool ... but ...

11. natemonster macrumors member

natemonster

core duo mac mini and i get that too. its got really intesvive graphics though. i don't see that much of a problem.

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

On my 2x2.5 GHz G5 PM I got 55% (of 1 CPU) in Safari and 65% with Firefox 1.5. On my 2.33 C2D MBP I get 50% (of 1 CPU) with Safari.

13. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Oh, I realize that the WebKit team has some work to do getting Flash to be more efficient, but my point was simply that I don't usually see spikes in CPU utilization like that on other flash sites. Therefore, the site itself it (at least) partly to blame.

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Maybe I'm missing something, but Flash content is handled by the Flash browser plugin, no? I update mine fairly regularly - r45 just came out earlier this month.

15. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Using Opera, i managed to get 38% used on my MBP. The flash support on Mac needs some work.

16. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Yep, Flash sucks bigtime on Mac OS.

I might try and download a newer version, maybe it helps (a bit).

Adobe should clean this up asap

17. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Installed adobe flash 9....no noticeable difference. Oh well...

18. rbirkby macrumors newbie

First of all, a reinstall of Flash according to this page helps make Flash faster:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=2dda3d81

Secondly, nearly 100% of a single core is taken up with downloading content. For example, while watching a YouTube video, Flash downloads the video in the background while I'm watching. During this download phase, the video runs very slowly and a core is at 100%. After the video has finished downloading (but while I'm still watching), the video runs at normal speed and a core drops to, perhaps 4%. I've yet to find a solution to this second problem.

[MacBook 2Ghz Core Duo, 2Gb, OSX10.4.9, Flash 9,0,28,0]

19. rbirkby macrumors newbie

Upgrading to 9,0,45,0 has fixed the high CPU while downloading issue. Or perhaps this was fixed by simply restarting Firefox?...

20. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

a re-install didn't decrease the % by much on my G4 iBook. But again, I wouldn't call this the average flash-site.

21. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Hahaha it's killing my machine to. Thats poor webdesign at it's best, it has nothing to do with webkit and everything to do with the site dev not doing enough testing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So that's less than 20% of overall system resources, right? Since there are two cores, and so processor usage can be as high as 200%. How much lower is the expectation? Do you really expect that site to run in 5% of one core? Does it do that for anyone in Windows with a CD or C2D?

23. bdemers macrumors newbie

From an older Windows PC...

P4 2.4 GHz, averaging 90% CPU utilization (only one core)...

Framerate looked surprisingly decent. But yeah, a crazy site.

24. lostless macrumors 6502

on my MDD G4 867mhz duel. 125% of CPU time. didnt notice the lag due to haveing 2 cores. I was supprised.

25. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

The grandparent makes a good point about Flash in general though. While I am very impressed with the wealth of online services Flash has been able to deliver us, the technology is definitely not efficient. Feels like Java kind of. I think Adobe still has ways to go before it can convince us to let go of our desktop software. Incidentally, I did go to other flash-based sites and CPU-usage was not low.

BTW, a nice feature of Camino is the ability to prevent Flash from loading automatically. At least that will let you experience the "experience" when you want to.